Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 88024 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Looking ahead to next year, 1B is becoming kinda like C was this year.  LaRoche is making a really strong case to come back next year.  Moore and Morse both could better serve the team at 1B than they can in the OF.  Once Werth comes back, one of them has to sit.  It will be really interesting to see what they do for next year there are a lot of different ways this could play out.

Offline Mr Clean

Why do I get the feeling they will go after Greinke? Would he be a rental?

Offline hammondsnats

YES WANT GREINKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT

No reason to go after Greinke.  The staff ERA is more than a full run below league average at 2.95.  Each of Strasburg, Gonzalez, Zimmermann, Jackson, and Detwiler have been very good this year.  The price for Greinke wouldn't be anywhere close to worth what we would be getting out of him above whoever he would replace.  The only reason to even consider Greinke would be if the Nats will really not let Strasburg pitch in the playoffs.  But I still refuse to believe that would be the case.  You don't go into the playoffs without your ace period.  I believe assuming we are in the playoff rotation will be Strasburg, Gonzalez, and Zimmermann.

Offline mach1ne

Only if he will do a sign and trade like Johan with the Mets. He's not worth giving up our top prospects for less than half a season

Offline houston-nat

I'm actually genuinely puzzled as to who I would move and what I would want in return which is why I think the trade deadline could be very interesting.

We could do little to nothing. A backup catcher or a low-leverage reliever might be all we get.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Yes, he would be a rental. Unless he completely fell in love with this town, he would be a rental.

The Nationals don't have high level prospects to trade for Grienke as anything more than a rental. I'm not even sure they have a good enough prospect to trade for him as a rental. Remember, Carlos Beltran pulled Zach Wheeler. I just don't think the Brewers are going to be interested in multiple B-/C type prospects, which is about all the Nationals have to offer right now, unless they want to part with someone on the MLB roster.

Offline blue911

We could do little to nothing. A backup catcher or a low-leverage reliever might be all we get.

Why a back up catcher?

Offline MorseTheHorse

all of those players have made a GREAT case they should be playing every day mimontero.  :lmao: I guess they have if your metric is simply showing up to the park

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
all of those players have made a GREAT case they should be playing every day mimontero.  :lmao: I guess they have if your metric is simply showing up to the park

Specifically who are you referring to?  And don't tell me Zimmerman or Morse because they project to get stronger as they return from injury.  LaRoche has been the power hitter we needed him to be and he should hit near his career norms when all is said and done.  Jayson Werth will be here as an everyday player regardless due to the contract and was hitting much better this year before the wrist injury.  The catching position has been hitting well considering our starter is out for the year.  The only hole I really see is at 2B but who is to say a Lombo/Espy platoon won't prove to work very well?  Where exactly on that list do you see a player who hasn't made a case that they should be playing every day outside of possibly Espinosa?

Offline MorseTheHorse

Lombo/Espinosa/LaRoche haven't produced at a level to make a GREAT case.

Flores has been producing well enough to show us that he is what we thought, a good to great backup.  He certainly hasn't made a GREAT case he needs to be starting.

Moore/Solano dont' have enough AB's to have made a GREAT case.

Zimmerman is a bit of special case, but certainly hasn't made a GREAT case based on performance.

The only players that have made a GREAT case to not be moved no matter what are in my mind Desmond based on performance, Harper based on projection/performance, and Zim/Werth based on contract. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Lombo/Espinosa/LaRoche haven't produced at a level to make a GREAT case.

Flores has been producing well enough to show us that he is what we thought, a good to great backup.  He certainly hasn't made a GREAT case he needs to be starting.

Moore/Solano dont' have enough AB's to have made a GREAT case.

Zimmerman is a bit of special case, but certainly hasn't made a GREAT case based on performance.

The only players that have made a GREAT case to not be moved no matter what are in my mind Desmond based on performance, Harper based on projection/performance, and Zim/Werth based on contract. 

I'm guessing that was a mistype on your part?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Why a back up catcher?

I've heard a couple of posters say this and I've wondered the same thing. To piss off SF?   :shrug:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline Hogie

Detwiler for Greinke and their top prospect!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Detwiler for Greinke and their top prospect! Alex Gordon

:lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
may have botched the merge of some Greinke material into this thread on the first page.  I feel like Bullwinkle pulling the lion out of a hat:  "sometimes I don' even know my own strength."  Carry on.

Offline houston-nat

may have botched the merge of some Greinke material into this thread on the first page.  I feel like Bullwinkle pulling the lion out of a hat:  "sometimes I don' even know my own strength."  Carry on.

It's okay, there's a learning curve :lol:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
I don't know if there is a thread for this but whatever.

Nationals GM Mike Rizzo told Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that he's always looking to upgrade, but don't expect Washington to trade long-term assets for a short-term piece. “We’re never going to do a knee-jerk reaction to win now," Rizzo said. The GM added that he's comfortable with his team's bullpen and lineup.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/nl-east-notes-greinke-mets-rodriguez.html

The Mets are among teams looking for bullpen help and are waiting for the market develop. The division-rival Nationals are also in the market for relief help but do have Drew Storen on the mend. Olney wonders if they'll look for a starter given Stephen Strasburg's inning limit.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/olneys-latest-nl-trade-market-darvish.html

The bolded makes sense but I hate his wording of it still sucks. "...to win now"

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!

Offline NJ Ave

Rizzo's quotes always seem a little marble-mouthed.

Do a reaction?

Offline Obed_Marsh

A friend of mine swears we are going to trade for José Altuve. I just don't see it.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
A friend of mine swears we are going to trade for José Altuve. I just don't see it.

Say what? We already have two guys at 2B.

The only thing I can see the Nats trading for is another SP to pick up the Stras starts down the line. But that's a reach. I think they'll stand pat. They'll be getting Werth and Storen later this month so it's like making a trade.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Supposidly some guy in a bar told him we are scouting him and there were discussions. Personally I don't think it passes the sanity test so I am assuming he got trolled by InsaneBoost.

Offline houston-nat

Supposidly some guy in a bar told him we are scouting him and there were discussions. Personally I don't think it passes the sanity test so I am assuming he got trolled by InsaneBoost.

I mean, just this morning my friend told me that the Phillies and Rangers were going to do a Hamels for Hamilton swap. Heard that in a bar too. Crazy things get said in bars.