Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1  (Read 11832 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1
« Reply #150: June 25, 2007, 09:23:45 PM »
Kind of ironic since you believe we still have a shot in this game. 

4-1 is an impossible lead to come back from, huh? Even if we lose, it's NEVER impossible to come back from 3 runs back. I'd like to see what you guys said in some of our other comeback games. I'm sure we weren't playing great before we did so in THOSE games.

Offline PC

« Reply #151: June 25, 2007, 09:24:27 PM »
That one series of decisions, walking Jones and pitching to McCann likely ended any chance we had to win this games.

Nine innings may have come down to that.

When a pitcher so thoroughly owns you, the margin for error is almost zero.

Offline PC

« Reply #152: June 25, 2007, 09:27:05 PM »
Don't go down meekly, 1-2-3.

Remember the second Indians game!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #153: June 25, 2007, 09:28:23 PM »
Wickman.  This one ain't over yet.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #154: June 25, 2007, 09:28:53 PM »
Alright lets go Church/Belly/Schnedier

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #155: June 25, 2007, 09:31:19 PM »
Church swings at a pitch that almost hits him  :-[

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #156: June 25, 2007, 09:33:49 PM »
Wickman is one big, ugly brute of a guy...I could easily see him in one of the leather bars that used to occupy the site of the new stadium.   

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #157: June 25, 2007, 09:34:58 PM »
Looks like Schneider is the only hitter who gave a damn tonight.. now hitting .251.  Batista's time on this team should be up

Offline PC

« Reply #158: June 25, 2007, 09:35:17 PM »
Brian Schneider is the only player who's played worth anything tonight.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #159: June 25, 2007, 09:36:01 PM »
Sup all

Looks like berg is in good condition continuing his ownage of the Braves...to bad were being cautious with him or else it be 1-1.

Personally, I wish he would have remained in rehab if we were going to limit him to 76 pitches. Clearly, this game was simply about testing him against big leagu hitting and not about having a game strategy to win. Considering our offense was almost nonexistent, it doesn't seem to matter.

Offline PC

« Reply #160: June 25, 2007, 09:36:31 PM »
We didn't even challenge a team that has been playing some of the worst baseball of the season.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #161: June 25, 2007, 09:36:52 PM »
Oh Well, I don't think they can do any worse tomorrow.  Not only did we only score 1 run, but we gave up 4 runs to a team averaging .20 runs per game over their previous 5 games. 

Offline saltydad

« Reply #162: June 25, 2007, 09:58:08 PM »
Bergie looked good; Traber so-so. The Nats left their bats behind in DC; they better find their lost luggage by tomorrow night's game or this series is sh*t.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #163: June 25, 2007, 10:00:56 PM »
Bergie looked good; Traber so-so. The Nats left their bats behind in DC; they better find their lost luggage by tomorrow night's game or this series is sh*t.
Traber...so-so? :lol: That's rich.  You're ALLOWED to say that he sucked.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #164: June 25, 2007, 10:06:16 PM »
Traber...so-so? :lol: That's rich.  You're ALLOWED to say that he sucked.

I'd say he did so-so. He was pitching against a lot of righties (not HIS choice) and McCann hit a lucky homer on a ball at his feet. He still did alright. BTW, his ERA is still only 2.84 even after those 3 runs.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #165: June 25, 2007, 10:53:59 PM »
I'd say he did so-so. He was pitching against a lot of righties (not HIS choice) and McCann hit a lucky homer on a ball at his feet. He still did alright. BTW, his ERA is still only 2.84 even after those 3 runs.

I have never liked Traber. For me, the sooner we get him off the roster the better.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #166: June 25, 2007, 11:10:45 PM »
I have never liked Traber. For me, the sooner we get him off the roster the better.

He must have done something to you, personally..because he's doing fine this season.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #167: June 25, 2007, 11:31:13 PM »
He must have done something to you, personally..because he's doing fine this season.

Traber is a situational lefty, and a very good one. He is living on borrowed time pitching extended periods where he needs to face righties. Some poor pitch selection to walk Jones to get to McCann who is the most dangerous hitter on the team. Once Traber got behind him, it was clear that McCann could sit on the curve until it fell in the zone. Ultimately, his fate was sealed with the choice to limit Bergmann and going to Traber for more than an inning of lefty work.

Coming into tonight he was:
.405/.455/.568 against RHB
.143/.194/.250 against LHB

Could it be more obvious?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #168: June 26, 2007, 12:00:37 AM »
Traber's ERA is low, but it also seems like he always allows inherited runners to score.  His WHIP is too high for a reliever.

In fact, I just looked up his WHIP, and it's above league average.  That's acceptable for a starter, but pretty horrendous for a reliever.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #169: June 26, 2007, 10:25:42 AM »
Traber's ERA is low, but it also seems like he always allows inherited runners to score.  His WHIP is too high for a reliever.

In fact, I just looked up his WHIP, and it's above league average.  That's acceptable for a starter, but pretty horrendous for a reliever.

Precisely. If you consider Traber to be having a fine season then your standards suck. I don't care about his ERA I know what I see from him when he enters a game and is terrified to go after batters (with good reason too because his stuff blows). Even if you consider him a situational reliever against lefties (like King) Mc Cann showed him the situation last night and it contributed largely to the loss.

Also the idea that he may done something TO me personally is as ridiculous as saying that he must have done something FOR you personally to praise him the way you do even though he's a bum. Besides, I base my determinations on what I see on the field not on ridiculous personal reasons or illusions (or delusions).

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #170: June 26, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »

Once again, his WHIP is higher because he is a completely different pitcher against RHB than LHB.
He has given up 2 walks and 5 hits against lefties.
But he has given up 7 walks (2 intentional) and 16 hits against righties

Traber is a situational lefty, plain and simple. It may not seem like something the Nats need at the moment, but guys that can prove his level of effectiveness against lefties (which is dramatic) will always be valued by clubs across the league. I really wish he would simply be utilized that way, because he would be very good trade bait. Actually, any contender looking to add a situational lefty would be fooling not to see the value in Traber which has been clearly demonstrated.