Author Topic: 2011 Arizona Fall League  (Read 24221 times)

Offline RD

2011 Arizona Fall League
« Topic Start: July 27, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »
This may be jumping the gun a bit, since its a few months away, but who do you guys expect/want to see in the AFL this year?

We get to allocate 6 players. AA/AAA players with less than 1 year big league experience are eligible, and we can send one player that has not reached AA yet. The player needs to be promoted by August 1 to be eligible as a AA player.

I'd like to see Rendon and Meyer from this year's draft. Don't know if they want to throw Meyer out there so soon though. If Rendon is not completely healthy, of course he's a scratch as well.

As far as guys at the AA/AAA level:

Bryce Harper - Just to play every day this time.

Brad Peacock - He pitched there last year, but as a reliever. I wouldn't mind him heading back, this time gaining more experience against better competition as a starter.

Sammy Solis - Another returner. Only because he missed quite a bit of time at the start of the year, and he could use the extra innings in competition. Technically I guess he'd have to be promoted to AA within then next week, since he's only at A+.

Tyler Moore - I'd like to see his power face off against better competition on a daily basis.

Tom Milone - All he does is get outs, no matter the level. The AFL would be another challenge for him. The experience can only help him prepare for a spot in the rotation next year.

Jeff Kobernus DestinHood, and Josh Smoker are two guys are Potomac that could either qualify as the 1 player from the lower levels or get a promotion in the next week to AA to become eligible.

I guess if I could pick just six, it'd be Harper, Peacock, Solis, Moore, Milone, and Kobernus. The first five could use the extra experience because they could potentially help the big club in 2012. Kobernus beats out Hood and Smoker because he's older and missed a lot of time in the past to injuries. Let's see what he's got against guys getting ready for the show.

Derek Norris would be eligible, but I'd rather try and send him over to one of the latin leagues. See if he can pick up anything defensively from some of the catchers, and challenge him at the plate.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: 2011 Arizona Fall League
« Reply #1: July 27, 2011, 11:41:07 PM »
Harper, Rendon, Ray, Solis, Lombo (if he's not on the big club soon), Smoker.  I'm guessing the starters who got a full season in the minors this year probably won't go to the AFL.

Offline RD

« Reply #2: July 27, 2011, 11:54:29 PM »
You may be right about innings pitched, Peacock has twice topped the 140 inning mark, so he should be in for a slight increase this year. I imagine he'll approach the 150 mark this year, and the AFL would probably take him too high. Milone has twice topped 150, but the same applies to him.

I can't imagine they would push Ray or Cole to the AFL. For starters, they simply aren't ready after pitching in low A. And they may want to give them a bit of a rest this off season, being their first full season of pro ball. Both could/should be in the discussion next season though, of course, depending on IP.

Id put Lombo in the Norris camp ... Send him to one of the latin leagues that feature big league ball players. I think Marrero played in Venezuela last year? Challenge them some more, since they've played a full season in the AFL already.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #3: July 28, 2011, 12:14:38 AM »
Going at his current increase rate, he can pitch 160 this year. If he goes for a 20% increase, he can pitch 185 (I think that's the Verducci rule). He's around 110 or 115 after tonight's start... estimate about 6 IP/start, he should have about 6 or 7 starts left this year. That brings him around 150 innings. He could theoretically pitch in a fall/winter league if the organization wanted him to.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #4: July 28, 2011, 07:59:19 AM »
D. Hood likely gets promoted near the end of the season like Lombo last year so he can play in the AFL. Here's my prediction for the AFL players this year:

Harper
Hood
Solis(started year late can use more innings)
Smoker
T. Moore
(Add one more pitcher here)

Rendon will likely get the offseason to get healthy. Meyer I don't think he's ready. 

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #5: July 28, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »
I have always wanted to go to the AFL and I might do it this year. But I am also going to try and follow the ABL. Does anyone know if major league teams can send prospects there?

Offline blue911

« Reply #6: July 28, 2011, 09:41:35 AM »
I have always wanted to go to the AFL and I might do it this year. But I am also going to try and follow the ABL. Does anyone know if major league teams can send prospects there?

ABL?

Alaska Baseball League?

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #7: July 28, 2011, 09:48:05 AM »
ABL?

Alaska Baseball League?

Australia. http://web.theabl.com.au/index.jsp

Season begins in November. I think I am going to root for the Brisbane Bandits.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #8: July 28, 2011, 10:28:42 AM »
I don't see Smoker going this year, he is more likely to go next year.  Harper and Moore seem to be the most obvious choices.  Solis and Rafael Martin are two guys that could go because of injuries early in the season.  For their sub-AA selection, Hood would be the most logical.  Like you mentioned in the first post, this is a little bit early and August will go a long way to dictating who goes to the AFL this year.  Meyers, Milone, and Lombardozzi could also all see AFL action, if they don't get called up.

Offline imref

« Reply #9: August 22, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
probably time to bump this:

I'm guessing at this point it will be Harper, Rosenbaum Norris, Antonelli, and whichever of Meyers/Millone/Peacock don't get called up in September. (I'm assuming Lombo and Marrero get called up and don't go to the AFL.)

And Hood as the one "below-AA" player.  Maybe Rendon & Purke on the travel squad?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #10: August 22, 2011, 03:42:09 PM »
probably time to bump this:

I'm guessing at this point it will be Harper, Rosenbaum Norris, Antonelli, and whichever of Meyers/Millone/Peacock don't get called up in September. (I'm assuming Lombo and Marrero get called up and don't go to the AFL.)

And Hood as the one "below-AA" player.  Maybe Rendon & Purke on the travel squad?

Rendon

Offline RD

« Reply #11: August 22, 2011, 04:19:41 PM »
I read an article a week or so ago, I believe about Purke, that mentioned we get to send two A ball players to the AFL.

I think Rendon is a lock to be one. He should be healthy come that time, and after some time in the instructional league, should be ready to roll.

If Purke is as far as long as he claims to be(being capable of throwing 2/3 innings right now), then he may be an interesting target. I use to think no, because we didnt know where he stood in terms of rehab. But since he's been on a solid throwing program already, and will continue for the final couple weeks of the season plus instructs, he may be ready to go. Throwing 20 innings or so in the AFL could go a long way towards him being ready for the 2012 season.

I think it's a bit premature for Destin Hood, just because he's still a developing player. We're not pushing him or expecting him to contribute next year. So I think it's fine letting him build on a successful season, a breakthrough season of sorts, and taking that confidence to start in Harrisburg next year.

Solis still counts as an A ball guy as well. He's at 80 innings so far, and will probably tack on another 10 or so. He'd be fine to handle the extra workload in the AFL.

My guess is two of those three will comprise our 2 A ball guys.

Cory Van Allen is a possibility, to get more work as a reliever. He's up there in age, but as a lefty reliever, it doesn't matter how old you are - They are always valuable. He's had a solid year this year at AA and could use the challenge of the AFL.

Brad Meyers is another. Still hasn't gotten his shot yet, but proving himself against the AFL talent could be the next step in proving himself. He's missed time iwth injuries this year, so he'll be fine innings wise as well to step up and get the experience.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #12: August 22, 2011, 05:39:51 PM »
I love what I've seen out of VanAllen in person.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #13: August 22, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »
:pray: hood :pray:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #14: August 30, 2011, 12:36:12 AM »
@BHarper3407: Me and Mike Trout on the same AFL team! Love how this years working out!hah Were stacked with talent!  @Trouty20

Harper and Trout on same AFL team :az:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #15: August 30, 2011, 12:56:34 AM »
Harper and Trout on same AFL team :az:

/universe

Offline imref

« Reply #16: August 30, 2011, 04:35:27 PM »
Here's the list per Amanda Comak and NationalsPR:

RHP Pat Lehman, RHP Rafael Martin, LHP Sammy Solis, OF Bryce Harper, C Derek Norris

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #17: August 30, 2011, 04:52:16 PM »
interesting

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #18: August 30, 2011, 04:53:46 PM »
Neither Rendon nor Purke?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #19: August 30, 2011, 04:54:07 PM »
 No Tyler Moore, Rendon,

Martin and Lehman especially interesting choices

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #20: August 30, 2011, 04:54:56 PM »
no hood?  dagger.

Offline imref

« Reply #21: August 30, 2011, 05:11:08 PM »
we have to send 6, so there's one "to be named later" plus potentially a taxi squad member (Rendon?)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #22: August 30, 2011, 05:15:16 PM »
Solis I think needs more work due to his delayed beginning of the year.  Are Martin and Lehman in the same boat?   

Offline imref

« Reply #23: August 30, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »
Comak - Rendon is going too.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #24: August 30, 2011, 05:42:07 PM »
I think Purke is going to go if he proves himself healthy.

Update: Debbie Taylor just said Rendon is most likely going.