Author Topic: Long Term Second Base Options  (Read 2917 times)

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
Re: Long Term Second Base Options
« Reply #25: May 31, 2009, 11:35:09 PM »
We need to stop drafting light hitting middle infielders.  The position has changed.  You need guys with power at 2b, like Utley and Kinsler.  I would love to see us trade for a solid 2B defensively with some power. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #26: May 31, 2009, 11:39:17 PM »
We need to stop drafting light hitting latino middle infielders.  The position has changed.  You need guys with power at 2b, like Utley and Kinsler.  I would love to see us trade for a solid 2B defensively with some power. 
yeah we need a Kinsler or Pedroia at 2B.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #27: May 31, 2009, 11:49:58 PM »
We need to stop drafting light hitting latino middle infielders.  The position has changed.  You need guys with power at 2b, like Utley and Kinsler.  I would love to see us trade for a solid 2B defensively with some power. 
Unless you want to move a guy like Martis, Lannan, or Zimmermann, our Fram System doesn't exactly runneth over with talent to trade for those top guys.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #28: June 01, 2009, 12:26:03 AM »
i don't know about "long term", but i say we go with Ronnie for the rest of the yr.

Offline Section214

« Reply #29: June 01, 2009, 01:46:52 AM »
I would keep Hernandez over all of those guys... And I heard they were trying to transition Ian Desmond to 2B, if so that could be an option. Future middle infield of Danny Espinosa and Ian Desmond??

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #30: June 01, 2009, 03:58:27 AM »
As much as I like belliard as a player, so far it seems he doesn't have it like he used to.

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #31: June 01, 2009, 04:06:09 AM »
Kearns is easily one of the best 5 outfielders at any positon in the NL.  Fat Ronnie has no power, the worst defensive player bar none, yes worse than Dunn, and one of Manny's muchacos. 

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #32: June 01, 2009, 07:25:20 AM »

The Nats have bigger problems than trying to replace him.

True!!!!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: June 01, 2009, 08:42:08 AM »
I'll insert ages (I hope I can in a quote).   Lorreta, Kennedy, and Polanco are old, and Iwamura is coming off a bad, bad knee injury.  Sanchez may be the best of the rest, but, besides one fluky batting title, I'm not sure he's that much better than Hernandez. 

Second baseman is becoming a position for a decent bat. It is a much less important defensive position than SS.  Tactically, had we not signed Guzman, filled in at SS with a cheap good glove (Everett, Izturis, or even AG), and signed Hudson (or, as it turns out, Kennedy), we would have been better off.  We got sentimental about Guzzie and misgauged the market.

Anderson Hernandez looks like he might not pan out to be anything other than a back-up, utility 2B-man off the bench.

Throughout the Minors we don't have many decent 2B options unless they want to convert some guys to that position.

Here is a list of some of the 2010 2B Free Agents:

Ronnie Belliard 34

Jamey Carroll  35

Akinori Iwamura 30 (not old, but hurt badly)

Adam Kennedy  33

Felipe Lopez 29 (not old, but a #$@)

Mark Loretta 37

Omar Infante 27

Placido Polanco 33

Freddy Sanchez (Option year) 31

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #34: June 01, 2009, 10:05:27 AM »
Of the guys listed, I'd take Iwamura and (go ahead, crucify me), if he's going to be a professional, FLop.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #35: June 01, 2009, 10:20:37 AM »
Why isn't Hudson on the list? His deal with LA was only for one year.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #36: June 01, 2009, 10:59:09 AM »
Nobody, as in nobody at all, expects him to be a Marlin next year, even if they are unfortunate enough not to be able to unload him during the season (the way Loria was p*ssing off yesterday, I almost expected to wake up and find Uggla and his "most under-performing  contract" gone this  morning - it's kinda funny trying to watch Loria and his $32 million payroll  pretend he's Steinbrenner with a $200 million payroll and complain about losing).  There is virtually no chance he'll be offered arby, so you can add him to the FA list. 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #37: June 01, 2009, 11:00:57 AM »
As much as you rail on him I'm surprised he's lasted this long.  Surely the Marlins' farm system has some other 2B guys that couldn't do much worse?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #38: June 01, 2009, 11:30:58 AM »
As much as you rail on him I'm surprised he's lasted this long.  Surely the Marlins' farm system has some other 2B guys that couldn't do much worse?

Once Sanchez (the 1B, not the P) comes off the MiLB DL and gets some rehabs, it looks like Bonifacio may move to 2B and Cantu back to 3B.  Bonifacio has been playing 2B when Danny gets benched.   At least El Fredo finally move Uggla out of the 5 spot, but he's still stranded or doubled up 112 in 136 chances.

Coghlan, who is playing LF, is also a 2B, and even list as such on the official roster, is expected to be the 2B next year, regardless of whether the Fish find an OF.  He played in the OF for the first time in his pro career the day before he was called up.  Unlike Bonifacio, he at least has some athleticism (and more than a single-digit IQ) and can play a nearly serviceable OF.  If the Fish can dump Uggla, even is Sanchez isn't ready, Cognlan may move to 2B now and Brett Carrol move to LF. 

Another player on the DL that will be part of the equation is Amezaga, who plays all positions other than P and C.  He's not starter material, or shouldn't be considered as such though he is considered such by the Fish, but his versatility makes him a valuable bench player.  In the IF, his fielding is of Omar Vizquel standards, and he makes some jaw dropping plays, though my favorite is the turn of a DP as a SS when his throw broke Posada's nose.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #39: June 01, 2009, 06:11:39 PM »
This is kinda random, but it relates to the Marlins :)

I was taking my exams today (I have finals this week), and I was thinking I'm kinda like the Marlins. I don't spend a lot of money (study/do a lot of HW), and I get good results for the money I spend (pretty good grades), but I could do a lot better if I spent 60 million more dollars (spent a lot more time studying). Yup :D

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #40: June 01, 2009, 09:21:24 PM »
If only the Orioles hadn't taken Matt Wieters one pick ahead of us in '06...

And you know damn well they never would have taken him, except for knowing the Nats were going to take him for sure with the next pick.  They would NEVER have lived that one down with their fans.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #41: June 01, 2009, 11:11:49 PM »
This is kinda random, but it relates to the Marlins :)

I was taking my exams today (I have finals this week), and I was thinking I'm kinda like the Marlins. I don't spend a lot of money (study/do a lot of HW), and I get good results for the money I spend (pretty good grades), but I could do a lot better if I spent 60 million more dollars (spent a lot more time studying). Yup :D

With the Marlins no better than 4th worst in BA/OBP/SLG/OPS/% of runners score (but #1 in K), I wouldn't say the Marlins are getting "good" results (62-100 in their last 162 not against the Nats).

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #42: June 01, 2009, 11:57:36 PM »
I'd prefer Asdrubal Cabrera. No one said I had to be realistic.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #43: June 02, 2009, 11:20:24 AM »
I'd prefer Asdrubal Cabrera. No one said I had to be realistic.

Just so we can call him Ass-Dribble? Isn't he terrible?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #44: June 02, 2009, 12:25:57 PM »
Just so we can call him Ass-Dribble? Isn't he terrible?

Not this year. 
.312/ .372 / .424, with good defense at SS and 2d, and 7 SBs.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #45: June 02, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »
With the Marlins no better than 4th worst in BA/OBP/SLG/OPS/% of runners score (but #1 in K), I wouldn't say the Marlins are getting "good" results (62-100 in their last 162 not against the Nats).

nvm then. i'm like the twins or something :D

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #46: June 02, 2009, 04:35:20 PM »
As much as I like belliard as a player, so far it seems he doesn't have it like he used to.

It's because of the haircut, he should have kept the hair. I think his mojo was in there...

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #47: June 02, 2009, 09:46:46 PM »
Anderson Hernandez looks like he might not pan out to be anything other than a back-up, utility 2B-man off the bench.

What? I can't hear you... can you speak up?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #48: June 02, 2009, 09:47:34 PM »
What? I can't hear you... can you speak up?
:rofl:

Offline blue911

« Reply #49: June 03, 2009, 08:14:36 AM »
Why not go after Mark DeRosa? That way you can see if Hernandez pans out, replace Ron Belliard's bat and have a back up for 5 positions.