Author Topic: Strasburg and the 2012 NLDS  (Read 17204 times)

Online aspenbubba

Re: The Strasburg Mistake
« Reply #75: October 11, 2012, 07:23:16 AM »
I have read all the posts in this thread. The angst and optimism is well deserved.I saw a team with the life blood sucked out of it after the second inning. I never posted this and I didn't say this to anyone but if Jackson spots the Cards 4 runs brfore the fourth out who wouldn't be deflated. I knew it was over then because Jackson has a good game followed by a bad game. His good game was last Wednesday in the season finale. You don't think the players are attuned to his erratic pitching?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #76: October 11, 2012, 07:46:46 AM »
Anyone who thinks Strasburg would be making a difference in the playoffs simply did not watch his last four or so outings.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #77: October 11, 2012, 08:19:16 AM »
On ESPN Radio early this morning, one unnamed MLB general manager was quoted as saying he didn't care who wins the World Series this year as long as it isn't the Nationals - said they didn't deserve it for what they did to Strasburg.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #78: October 11, 2012, 08:20:10 AM »
"If we don't win the World Series, I don't care who does," one general manager told USA TODAY Sports, "as long as it's not those guys.

"They don't deserve to win it. Not after what they did."

Said a National League GM: "I hope they go down in flames. I hope it takes another 79 years before they get back to the playoffs. That's how strongly I feel about it."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/nationals/2012/10/10/nationals-despised-by-some-baseball-executives/1625975/

Offline Ray D

« Reply #79: October 11, 2012, 08:20:23 AM »
On ESPN Radio early this morning, one unnamed MLB general manager was quoted as saying he didn't care who wins the World Series this year as long as it isn't the Nationals - said they didn't deserve it for what they did to Strasburg.

I guess you can be a GM and still be an idiot.

Offline OldNatsFan

« Reply #80: October 11, 2012, 08:23:02 AM »
Stras got shelled in 2 of his last 3 starts. He was out of gas. Move on.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #81: October 11, 2012, 08:28:28 AM »
Stras got shelled in 2 of his last 3 starts. He was out of gas.

And it is amazing that these "experts", including this GM, run their mouths so irresponsibly without bothering to be informed of this simple fact.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #82: October 11, 2012, 08:30:53 AM »
The piss poor offense and pitching is the problem.  The entire team with the exception of Desmond and Zimmerman seem to not even want to be there.  Gio didn't show, Zimmermann hasn't shown up in weeks, and bad Edwin Jackson showed up yesterday.  We can't seem to get hits when they matter and we fail to break open games when we have the chance.  It's sickening to watch how this team has collapsed under the pressure, but having Strasburg wouldn't have help.

We were one bloop single in Game 1 away from being finished off yesterday.  The Washington Natinals picked one hell of a time to return.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #83: October 11, 2012, 08:35:28 AM »
Don't let these idiots get under your skin. What they say or what they wish for is irrelevant. The only thing that counts is what the Nats do on the field. If they show up things will improve and some of these clowns will be on suicide watch and it will make it that much sweeter. If they continue to focus on their off season plans and how great things are because they made the playoffs by winning the division then we're freaked anyway.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #84: October 11, 2012, 08:35:33 AM »
The piss poor offense and pitching is the problem.  The entire team with the exception of Desmond and Zimmerman seem to not even want to be there.  Gio didn't show, Zimmermann hasn't shown up in weeks, and bad Edwin Jackson showed up yesterday.  We can't seem to get hits when they matter and we fail to break open games when we have the chance.  It's sickening to watch how this team has collapsed under the pressure, but having Strasburg wouldn't have help.

We were one bloop single in Game 1 away from being finished off yesterday.  The Washington Natinals picked one hell of a time to return.

What does all that have to do with Strasburg?

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #85: October 11, 2012, 08:36:20 AM »
What does all that have to do with Strasburg?

That having Strasburg wouldn't have made a difference.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #87: October 11, 2012, 08:51:46 AM »
I am preparing my Angus for all types of these threads/news stories/bandwagon baseball fan "professionals"

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #88: October 11, 2012, 10:11:24 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/nationals/2012/10/10/nationals-despised-by-some-baseball-executives/1625975/

It's like these guys have taken the Nats' decision about Strasburg personally, somehow.  What else could explain this ridiculous reaction?  What a boob.

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #89: October 11, 2012, 10:20:44 AM »
Would love to know who this "rival" NL GM is.  Is his team in the playoffs?

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #90: October 11, 2012, 10:22:25 AM »
Would love to know who this "rival" NL GM is.  Is his team in the playoffs?

He said "If our team doesn't win" so ya, I think his team is.  That narrows it down to 3 GMs, or a very confused Mike RIzzo.   

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #91: October 11, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »
He said "If our team doesn't win" so ya, I think his team is.  That narrows it down to 3 GMs, or a very confused Mike RIzzo.   

I believe it was 2 GM's

1. GM in Playoffs
"If we don't win the World Series, I don't care who does," one general manager told USA TODAY Sports, "as long as it's not those guys.

"They don't deserve to win it. Not after what they did."

2. Rival NL East GM
Said a National League GM: "I hope they go down in flames. I hope it takes another 79 years before they get back to the playoffs. That's how strongly I feel about it."

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #92: October 11, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »
It was probably John Mozeliak (aka Bigguth Diccuth)

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #93: October 11, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
Many posters have pointed out Strasburg struggled at the very end so he wouldn't have been useful anyways.  A few points:

1) Such posts always have the luxury of picking how many games back to look.  The most common place to pick is 3 games back, b/c his 4th to last start was 6IP 4H 1R 1BB 10K.  Not exactly struggling there.

2) Such posts make the jump from he had a few bad outings to he was wearing down physically.  I'm not sure I buy it.  For one thing, there was the completely believable narrative that Stras struggled b/c he was getting so upset mentally about the impending shut down.  Davey even offered this narrative up as an explanation.  If he was truly wearing down physically I just don't think he could put up starts like he did on Aug 21st and Sep 2.  His end of season seems much more just normal ups and downs of a pitcher to me. 

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #94: October 11, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
Could you imagine what these execs and fans would say if the Nats were to pitch him and he had another season-ending or even worse, career ending injury

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #95: October 11, 2012, 10:48:39 AM »
Many posters have pointed out Strasburg struggled at the very end so he wouldn't have been useful anyways.  A few points:

1) Such posts always have the luxury of picking how many games back to look.  The most common place to pick is 3 games back, b/c his 4th to last start was 6IP 4H 1R 1BB 10K.  Not exactly struggling there.

2) Such posts make the jump from he had a few bad outings to he was wearing down physically.  I'm not sure I buy it.  For one thing, there was the completely believable narrative that Stras struggled b/c he was getting so upset mentally about the impending shut down.  Davey even offered this narrative up as an explanation.  If he was truly wearing down physically I just don't think he could put up starts like he did on Aug 21st and Sep 2.  His end of season seems much more just normal ups and downs of a pitcher to me. 

According to the ESPN the Magazine story, both Rizzo and Davey agreed that Strasburg was showing signs of tiring, that his velocity was off, that he was laboring through his starts and that his mechanics were causing them concern.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #96: October 11, 2012, 10:49:50 AM »
I wonder if it is a cut at Rizzo's manner as much as the team and the decision.  These guys are mad at perceived and projected arrogance of Rizzo, and the Strasburg decision crystalizes it for them.

Does anyone think he'll get his phone calls returned slower by these GMs?  Really petty and stupid of them if that is the case, but people seem so free with the willingness to let loose on the Nats that it makes it seem like they will be looking for a chance to extract something out of us.

it's like they were interviewing Cole Hamels about "old school," but my perception is that both the new thought and old school types are commenting negatively about the way the team acted.  Old school thinks innings limits should be thrown out for a stretch drive, while new thought guys agree with the limit but think it was mismanaged.

Offline expos1994

« Reply #97: October 11, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »
I don't think they like the audacity of Rizzo to claim the Nats will be winning the East multiple times in the coming year and that there's no need to take any chances with Strasburg because we don't need him to win in the playoffs.

And frankly I don't like it either. I'm glad they won the division. And the future looks promising. But winning the NL East is no easy task. It takes having a great team and a lot of luck.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #98: October 11, 2012, 10:53:50 AM »
Could you imagine what these execs and fans would say if the Nats were to pitch him and he had another season-ending or even worse, career ending injury

Exactly. You can't win with some people - doesn't matter what you do or say, either way they start  bellyaching.