Author Topic: Ryan Zimmerman meet Dan Marino  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Gleason2

Ryan Zimmerman meet Dan Marino
« Topic Start: June 27, 2010, 10:51:10 PM »
I'm beginning to see Ryan Zimmerman as the Dan Marino of MLB.  He's got a great glove, racks up impressive hitting stats, but can't seem to do anything at the plate when he really needs to.  He's a talented player but, ultimately, not a winner.  I hope that he proves me wrong some day, but that's the way that I'm beginning to see him.  The guy appears to have no passion.  He should be a vocal leader of this team but, for some reason, has not chosen to step up to that responsibility.  Thoughts?

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Re: Ryan Zimmerman meet Dan Marino
« Reply #1: June 27, 2010, 11:02:24 PM »
I don't think passion and personality are the same thing. Zimmerman is basically a robot that crushes the souls of those that stand in his way. I think the reason people now see him as not coming through in the clutch is the fact that with an almost dead in the water Morgan and a .308 OBP in front of him in the line-up he just doesn't get as many chances as a three hitter on a good team.

Willingham has not has as good a season as Zimmerman, but yet has better RBI numbers. It isn't because Willingham is some super clutch player that is trying harder. It is because Zimmerman and Dunn get on base and give him a chance to drive in runs. The top of the order and the fact that it isn't shaken up except for that brief time when Nyjer and Guzman were switched, which really didn't help anything. This team should either try Pudge at two, see if Desmond really is better in that spot. bench Morgan and bat Bernadina, Morse 1-2, or trade for Kelly Johnson and bat him two.

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #2: June 27, 2010, 11:05:41 PM »
I don't think passion and personality are the same thing. Zimmerman is basically a robot that crushes the souls of those that stand in his way. I think the reason people now see him as not coming through in the clutch is the fact that with an almost dead in the water Morgan and a .308 OBP in front of him in the line-up he just doesn't get as many chances as a three hitter on a good team.

Willingham has not has as good a season as Zimmerman, but yet has better RBI numbers. It isn't because Willingham is some super clutch player that is trying harder. It is because Zimmerman and Dunn get on base and give him a chance to drive in runs. The top of the order and the fact that it isn't shaken up except for that brief time when Nyjer and Guzman were switched, which really didn't help anything. This team should either try Pudge at two, see if Desmond really is better in that spot. bench Morgan and bat Bernadina, Morse 1-2, or trade for Kelly Johnson and bat him two.

You may be right about Zimm.  It's getting very difficult to feel positive about anyone on this roster other than Strasburg right now.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3: June 27, 2010, 11:20:29 PM »
Zimmerman is a streaky bastard.  Always has been.  I feel like it's gotten worse in the last season-plus, but maybe it just feels that way because it's fresher in my memory.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #4: June 28, 2010, 12:30:35 AM »
Zimmerman is a streaky bastard.  Always has been.  I feel like it's gotten worse in the last season-plus, but maybe it just feels that way because it's fresher in my memory.

Which is why he reminds me so much of Matt Williams...aside from the whole roids thing.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #5: June 28, 2010, 07:41:24 AM »
I'm beginning to see Ryan Zimmerman as the Dan Marino of MLB.  He's got a great glove, racks up impressive hitting stats, but can't seem to do anything at the plate when he really needs to.  He's a talented player but, ultimately, not a winner.  I hope that he proves me wrong some day, but that's the way that I'm beginning to see him.  The guy appears to have no passion.  He should be a vocal leader of this team but, for some reason, has not chosen to step up to that responsibility.  Thoughts?

He's 25 years old and has lived up to the responsibility of being a franchise player for a terrible team and being the face of the franchise. Expecting him to be some sort of cheerleader on top of that is not fair.

If nothing else, Zimmerman leads by example, playing with class and always hustling. He plays the game the right way.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #6: June 28, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »
The only similiarity that I see is that both could end up as all time greats at their position with out winning a championship. Marino had a shot at one and had teams in the playoffs. A single fielder in baseball cannot change the outcome of seasons the same way a quarterback can and placing the blame for a disappointing season or saying a player is not a winner becuase the team sucks isn't fair.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #7: June 28, 2010, 08:48:06 AM »
The only similiarity that I see is that both could end up as all time greats at their position with out winning a championship.

I feel confident that Zimmerman will be looking elsewhere when his current contract runs out if we don't compete strongly or even make it deep into the playoffs by 2012 and 2013.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #8: June 28, 2010, 08:51:54 AM »
I feel confident that Zimmerman will be looking elsewhere when his current contract runs out if we don't compete strongly or even make it deep into the playoffs by 2012 and 2013.

And he should. I'm sure they promised a lot about the direction of the franchise and what they are aiming to accomplish when they were trying to resign him.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: June 28, 2010, 08:52:28 AM »

I'd like to think otherwise, but you're probably right. Then again, chasing a ring is easier said than done (unless the Yankees are hiring)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #10: June 28, 2010, 08:52:43 AM »
And he should. I'm sure they promised a lot about the direction of the franchise and what they are aiming to accomplish when they were trying to resign him.

Oh I completely agree.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #11: June 28, 2010, 09:03:37 AM »
It would be awful to have a team with Zimmerman, Strasburg and Harper and start losing one or two of the parts before you have a chance to see all the parts working together.  I hope more good parts are added and they function as a championship team some day....as hard as that is to envision after the last few weeks and especially the dismal performance against the O's.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #12: June 28, 2010, 09:06:36 AM »
It would be awful to have a team with Zimmerman, Strasburg and Harper and start losing one or two of the parts before you have a chance to see all the parts working together.  I hope more good parts are added and they function as a championship team some day....as hard as that is to envision after the last few weeks and especially the dismal performance against the O's.

It is entirely possible Zimmerman will be gone by the time Harper is a full time starter. We're used to certain high profile draft picks soaring through the minors (Zimmerman, Storen, Strassburg), but they were college picks. Harper is, for all intents, a high school pick, and could takes years to be ready.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #13: June 28, 2010, 09:19:44 AM »
It is entirely possible Zimmerman will be gone by the time Harper is a full time starter. We're used to certain high profile draft picks soaring through the minors (Zimmerman, Storen, Strassburg), but they were college picks. Harper is, for all intents, a high school pick, and could takes years to be ready.

And Kasten's hype machine will be trying to promote Harper to make us forget about losing Zimmerman.  ;)

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #14: June 28, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »
I really don't see this season so far as a step backward. I'm really impressed with Bernadina, Morse, and Desmond. The bullpen has been dramatically better. The starting pitching staff will look nothing like this toward the end of the season.

I know we're all upset because of the great start, but progress is still being made. I think this team makes a serious wild card/division push in the next 2 years.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: June 28, 2010, 10:24:44 AM »
I really don't see this season so far as a step backward. I'm really impressed with Bernadina, Morse, and Desmond. The bullpen has been dramatically better. The starting pitching staff will look nothing like this toward the end of the season.

I know we're all upset because of the great start, but progress is still being made. I think this team makes a serious wild card/division push in the next 2 years.

after Desmond, our minors are empty of top tier position players, so he and Morse should be/need to be improving. Unfortunately he can't field. The bullpen has been better, but is that really saying much. Lannan fell off a cliff, Marquis is out, Olsen may be done, and we're hoping rookies and rehab projects can be ready by the end of the year.

It's the gap in the minors that worries me- it seems like our best hitters are a ways off, so we're pretty much going to be looking at the same offense/fielding next year that we are now with just the vetran journeymen shuffled

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #16: June 28, 2010, 10:29:59 AM »
I'm beginning to see Ryan Zimmerman as the Dan Marino of MLB.  He's got a great glove, racks up impressive hitting stats, but can't seem to do anything at the plate when he really needs to.  He's a talented player but, ultimately, not a winner.  I hope that he proves me wrong some day, but that's the way that I'm beginning to see him.  The guy appears to have no passion.  He should be a vocal leader of this team but, for some reason, has not chosen to step up to that responsibility.  Thoughts?

Dan Marino not a winner?   Please.   Except for "clutch hitting", I'd say Zimm is more like Ripken.   Nice player on a suck hole team/franchise.

Online blue911

« Reply #17: June 28, 2010, 10:34:30 AM »
after Desmond, our minors are empty of top tier position players, so he and Morse should be/need to be improving. Unfortunately he can't field. The bullpen has been better, but is that really saying much. Lannan fell off a cliff, Marquis is out, Olsen may be done, and we're hoping rookies and rehab projects can be ready by the end of the year.

It's the gap in the minors that worries me- it seems like our best hitters are a ways off, so we're pretty much going to be looking at the same offense/fielding next year that we are now with just the vetran journeymen shuffled

I don't think Desmond can't field. I think he makes too many errors that a more experienced player would avoid. Better thought process is the key but not playing him or demoting him won't improve that skill set. Watching young shortstops with big arms can be maddening as hell. But he is better than anybody we've had play that position. If he totally bombs, so be it at least you've given him a real shot. Play him Desmond,Morgan and Bernadina, hell give Morse a shot at second. At least that way you go into the off season with a better understanding of what these guys are capable of contributing as everyday players. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: June 28, 2010, 10:36:06 AM »
I don't think Desmond can't field. I think he makes too many errors that a more experienced player would avoid. Better thought process is the key but not playing him or demoting him won't improve that skill set. Watching young shortstops with big arms can be maddening as hell. But he is better than anybody we've had play that position. If he totally bombs, so be it at least you've given him a real shot. Play him Desmond,Morgan and Bernadina, hell give Morse a shot at second. At least that way you go into the off season with a better understanding of what these guys are capable of contributing as everyday players. 

I agree, and think Desmond will be a fixture for years to come, it's still frustrating watchign him

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #19: June 28, 2010, 10:46:10 AM »
I agree, and think Desmond will be a fixture for years to come, it's still frustrating watchign him
Zimm made some bonehead plays too his first season

Online blue911

« Reply #20: June 28, 2010, 10:47:03 AM »

I think his play wouldn't be such a bone of contention if the Nats had an average defender at second. Nyjer seems to have played through his period of incredibly bad decision making and I think Desmond can do the same.

Online blue911

« Reply #21: June 28, 2010, 10:48:35 AM »
Zimm made some bonehead plays too his first season

He still makes some. Everybody who plays defense will make an incredibly stupid play. That's the beauty of the game.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #22: June 28, 2010, 01:25:11 PM »

Jeez guys, we've had a tough month playing through a period we thought we could coast through....have two atrocious seasons caused us to behave like Cubs fans??

Shut up and soldier, soldier, we'll just have to go out and get 'em tonight!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #23: June 28, 2010, 01:42:01 PM »
Play him Desmond,Morgan and Bernadina, hell give Morse a shot at second. At least that way you go into the off season with a better understanding of what these guys are capable of contributing as everyday players. 

Blue - I trust your eyes more than mine.  Do you think Morse could shift back to 2d? Normally, I think you say Riggleman and McLaren have had him for years and would play him there if they thought he could handle it, but if he could just be anything short of a disaster there defensively, it'd be a great way to get his bat in the line up.  I guess you feel pretty sure that age has hit Kennedy (no evidence to the contrary). I'd add that, even if Guz could field the position, he's gone soon and would leave us with a hole in 2011.  If we still have Morgan and plan to play him, Morse to 2d might be the only way to keep him, roger, and nyjer in the line up together.

Online blue911

« Reply #24: June 28, 2010, 01:56:20 PM »
Blue - I trust your eyes more than mine.  Do you think Morse could shift back to 2d? Normally, I think you say Riggleman and McLaren have had him for years and would play him there if they thought he could handle it, but if he could just be anything short of a disaster there defensively, it'd be a great way to get his bat in the line up.  I guess you feel pretty sure that age has hit Kennedy (no evidence to the contrary). I'd add that, even if Guz could field the position, he's gone soon and would leave us with a hole in 2011.  If we still have Morgan and plan to play him, Morse to 2d might be the only way to keep him, roger, and nyjer in the line up together.

No to Morse at second. Honestly I'd go with the Kid (if 30 is a kid) at Syracuse. Morse,Guzman & Kennedy are all square pegs for second. The game hasn't changed, it's still pitching and defense. Just because the offense isn't clicking doesn't mean you abandon defense.