Author Topic: Angelos finally gets it? O's add to solid offseason and pick up Vlad  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
No way. Rays win 80 games without trying. Good rotation

No offense and reduced defense.  They added Hellickson but lost Garza in the rotation.

I think they're around 75 wins myself and I think the Jays are better than 75.

Offline Potomac Cannons

No offense and reduced defense.  They added Hellickson but lost Garza in the rotation.

I think they're around 75 wins myself and I think the Jays are better than 75.

Garza isn't anywhere near what he's cracked up to be.  He's a low to mid 4 FIP guy who gets by on great control more than stuff (K/9 below 7 in 2 of his 3 full years).  Above average to good pitcher but nothing special (there's a reason I preferred Shields).  Not sure if his new defense will be good enough to help keep his BABIP down.

They'll be good yet again.  Jennings/Damon/Manny should be enough to keep the offense close to what they had, and Hellickson projects to be not that far off of what Garza gave them last year.  I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to win the AL East again though I think it's Boston's to lose.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Garza isn't anywhere near what he's cracked up to be.  He's a low to mid 4 FIP guy who gets by on great control more than stuff (K/9 below 7 in 2 of his 3 full years).  Above average to good pitcher but nothing special (there's a reason I preferred Shields).  Not sure if his new defense will be good enough to help keep his BABIP down.

They'll be good yet again.  Jennings/Damon/Manny should be enough to keep the offense close to what they had, and Hellickson projects to be not that far off of what Garza gave them last year.  I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to win the AL East again though I think it's Boston's to lose.

Hard to believe but I had forgotten about Manny - and I agree it's Boston's to lose, but I have to believe that the Yankees aren't done adding pieces - I just don't think Tampa has the resources to keep it going.

I've gotta think the Yankees add at least two pieces at some point prior to the deadline.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Rays  could very well get a bounce back year out of Zobrist and / or Upton.  Maybe Jaso comes back to earth a bit or Brignac and Rodriguez fall flat.  I think their offense will be fine.

AL East is just ridiculous. 

One reason I'm less enthusiastic about the Vladi signing is that I'm still upbeat on Reimold.  He has options so he will be sent back down, but I think last year got off bad due to injury recovery and he did not really get going until August.  I think the guy who was close to a ROy the year before is the real Reimold.   

Offline hammondsnats

lol spider i know

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
The O's don't have crap. Signed a bunch of castoffs and bums. 5th place Guaranteed. Even if everything breaks right, 4th place is their peak over the Jays.

I really love the second link you used to back up your facts.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
I really love the second link you used to back up your facts.

:lmao:

Offline R-Zim#11

O's payroll went from $73 million (2010) to $93 million (2011).

$93 million payroll...for what?! They'll finish last again! I am laughing at this post. It's really funny. The Orioles haven't even a .500 season since 1997. They won't this year. They won't next year. The Nats farm system is better (19th by KLaw to B-more's 24th. BA has the Nats at 14th to B-More's 21st) They have no one like Harper or Strasburg.

Your bitterness and hatred for the Lerners is really getting ridiculous...to the point you're standing up for ANGELOS?! Seriously. Step back. It's for your own health.

Offline Coladar

$93 million payroll...for what?! They'll finish last again! I am laughing at this post. It's really funny. The Orioles haven't even a .500 season since 1997. They won't this year. They won't next year. The Nats farm system is better (19th by KLaw to B-more's 24th. BA has the Nats at 14th to B-More's 21st) They have no one like Harper or Strasburg.

Your bitterness and hatred for the Lerners is really getting ridiculous...to the point you're standing up for ANGELOS?! Seriously. Step back. It's for your own health.

I agree with your last paragraph 100%. But that said, I wouldn't go to Vegas betting against the Orioles finishing .500 or better if I were you. Showalter proved his last month and a half that they *already* had the talent to do quite well all things considered. Just look at their pre and post Showalter schedule and results if you don't believe it, with mostly the same players. Then add in one of the better off seasons a team has had in 2010-11, filling a lot of their holes with quality players. I hate the Orioles with a passion, never rooted for them once despite the alternative being growing up without baseball.

But they are a quality team given their offseason, and should do quite well. Expecting a sub-.500 season at this point in the game is underestimating them greatly.

Offline PANatsFan

Can people please stop smooching the butt of the guy that kept baseball out of DC? Sheesh. I don't care if his payroll is $200 million.

Offline Coladar

Can people please stop smooching the butt of the guy that kept baseball out of DC? Sheesh. I don't care if his payroll is $200 million.

I'm hoping that's at Hammond and not me, since like I said, I grew up without baseball thanks to Angelos instead of adopting the Orioles, or at least another MLB team, like 80% of Nats fans seem to have done. Certainly there are few that despise that jerk for killing DC baseball for two generations worth as much as I do, save for people that are currently Orioles fans for what he's done to his own franchise.

But there's kissing Angelos' ass, and then there is not accepting reality or hating an owner so much that you don't see what the facts clearly show in regards to an MLB team heading into ST. It's not kissing Angelos' ass, that's just giving a realistic prediction for a team that had talent last season with horrible managing, fixed that and went on a tear, and then filled some major holes in the offseason and expanded payroll by $20mm.

Offline PANatsFan

It's at HammOnd's and others

Offline sportsfan882

So what, they bumped payroll by adding a bunch of overpaid retreads and cast-offs? This team is bad plain and simple.

Offline Potomac Cannons

But they are a quality team given their offseason, and should do quite well. Expecting a sub-.500 season at this point in the game is underestimating them greatly.

Their starting pitching has more question marks than ours, with less upside in the prospects than ours, and they play in a division 453 million times more difficult than ours.  They're not getting .500 this year.

Offline PANatsFan

So what, they bumped payroll by adding a bunch of overpaid retreads and cast-offs? This team is bad plain and simple.

YES. THANK YOU.

Offline Coladar

Their starting pitching has more question marks than ours, with less upside in the prospects than ours, and they play in a division 453 million times more difficult than ours.  They're not getting .500 this year.

I absolutely agree their SP has more question marks than a Riddler costume. The question is, was their three SPers turnaround that coincided exactly with Showalter's arrival a matter of coaching, or are they just highly unreliable and it was a coincidence? If those three can pitch to the numbers they did post Showalter, what, something like a 3-3.5 ERA by the three combined during the month and a half Showalter was there? If they can come even close to that, they are definitely a .500 team. If they pitch like they did before Showalter, they're lucky to be a .333 team.

I personally feel like they are a strong candidate to finish above .500. Likewise, they might not. But I think it's foolish to say they definitely aren't a .500 team at this point in the game. Right now all we have to go on is their offseason, which was unquestionably pretty decent. And then we can also go on how they performed after Showalter arrived, which was spectacular all things considered. If those two things hold up, there's no way they aren't a .500 team. But if Showalter was a fluke, and the leftover talent from last year performs even remotely close to the pre-Showalter era, despite their improvements, they are a guaranteed last place in the AL East, .400ish team. I just don't think the massive upswing we saw when Showalter arrived, that lasted for over a month, was a fluke that'll totally revert come April.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Don't they have the majority of these new additions for only a year?  Two?  Those are Rent-a-players!  Who do they have in their system that can hit like Vlad in the next year or 2?! Or Lee for that matter!

Haven't we signed guys like Worth for more than one year?  Those that have been signed for only a year or two will be replaced with the likes of Harper, Strasburg,  and fuse guys coming up fromMills Cup Potomac or playoff Harrisburg,  or Syracuse!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Haven't we signed guys like Worth for more than one year?  Those that have been signed for only a year or two will be replaced with the likes of Harper, Strasburg,  and fuse guys coming up fromMills Cup Potomac or playoff Harrisburg,  or Syracuse!

Fuse guys?   :shrug:

Offline Potomac Cannons

Offline blue911

Fuse guys?   :shrug:

Chip Foose, the Nats are going to be Overhauled

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
The more I read Calsgr8's post, the more I'm convinced she went out for lunch today.   :glug:

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm mostly jealous.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
It's funny how nobody in this thread is *REALLY* talking about what they *APPEAR* to be talking about.

:smh: :smh: :smh: @ agenda-driven "discussion"