Author Topic: Nyjer's latest incident  (Read 5076 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Nyjer's latest incident
« Reply #75: October 15, 2011, 05:15:02 PM »
If we're being literal... I promise you none of us would hit .300 at the MLB level.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #76: October 15, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »
That's fine but the discussion was about an actual player who did have the potential because he actually plays MLB and has done it before and did it again this season so to compare that to board members having equal potential is still ridiculous.

He didn't say equal potential, but it could be inferred.  Either way, it seems like an awfully pedantic objection for you.

If we're being literal... I promise you none of us would hit .300 at the MLB level.

Fits what I'd expect from you though.

Talk about missing the forest for the trees @ both of you though :smh:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #77: October 15, 2011, 05:23:26 PM »
I don't care what his potential is, I care what he did. In 2009 and 2011 he was an above average MLB CF'er.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #78: October 15, 2011, 05:26:41 PM »
I don't care what his potential is, I care what he did. In 2009 and 2011 he was an above average MLB CF'er.

Great, but you realize this thread is about what a headcase he is and how a lot of people resent how terrible he was for the Nats in his only full season with the team, right?

I don't really care if you guys want to bicker over another poster's hyperbole, but surely you must realize that you're entirely missing the point of the thread.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #79: October 15, 2011, 05:30:03 PM »
Whatever Chief.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #80: October 15, 2011, 05:32:55 PM »
Whatever Chief.

oh, so NOW you're above it all? :lol:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #81: October 15, 2011, 05:37:13 PM »
Seriously though, I'm not trying to pick on you or spider, I just think it's funny how bored everyone seems to be waiting for some real news

(myself included :( )

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #82: October 15, 2011, 05:37:29 PM »
Nope. Just don't feel like sitting here while I'm talked down to.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #83: October 15, 2011, 05:38:34 PM »
Nope. Just don't feel like sitting here while I'm talked down to.

My mistake.  I'm sure you've never done that ;)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #84: October 15, 2011, 05:44:59 PM »
Ridiculous.

Right. I have the potential to hit .400 next season. I probably won't, but it's the future, so it's "potential". In a scale of likelihoods, N Morgan is more likely to jump up and down on his batting helmet tomorrow than I am likely to hit .300, but both are likely.

Just to be realistic and serious for a moment, why was Morgan still on the Nats last June 1??

Name another player who gave up on a play because they felt more like throwing their glove down and sulking after an error. Name one...or two?  Yes, the Nats management gave Morgan a half-season to behave like a grownup, and he couldn't. That is tolerant. Was it likely that Morgan would magically turn into Bernie Williams or Lenny Dykstra? No, not likely, and he hasn't.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #85: October 15, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »
Right. I have the potential to hit .400 next season. I probably won't, but it's the future, so it's "potential". 

:lmao:

Name another player who gave up on a play because they felt more like throwing their glove down and sulking after an error.

I don't think he gave up on the play because he felt more like throwing his glove and sulking after an error. To interpret the play in that fashion shows the obvious bias people have developed towards Morgan. He legitimately thought the ball had potentially gone over the fence after his effort. It was an emotional reaction. Total lapse in judgment to be sure.

Offline welch

« Reply #86: October 15, 2011, 07:47:26 PM »

I don't think he gave up on the play because he felt more like throwing his glove and sulking after an error. To interpret the play in that fashion shows the obvious bias people have developed towards Morgan. He legitimately thought the ball had potentially gone over the fence after his effort. It was an emotional reaction. Total lapse in judgment to be sure.

Name a similar play. Closest I can think of, maybe, is Temo in 2000...and even he followed the ball well enough to speed up as soon as Justice took the bounce and turned to throw.
home.

The ball hit Morgan's glove. Did he really think it was over the fence? That's how much higher? Watch the play. Even if an OF thinks a ball might "potentially" go over a fence or out of play, a professional tries. At least tries. A professional, but not, of course, Morgan.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #87: October 15, 2011, 08:10:50 PM »
It was inches from the top of the wall. There was a play earlier this season where the ball hit an OF's glove and went over the fence. 

Offline welch

« Reply #88: October 16, 2011, 08:51:30 AM »
It was inches from the top of the wall. There was a play earlier this season where the ball hit an OF's glove and went over the fence. 

So...it's not that Morgan is twisted with crazy rage, it's just that he gives up?

(And he ran around home plate to shoulder a catcher and make himself out was...because he can't see straight?????)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #89: October 16, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »
I'd like to apologize for baiting Linty yesterday, it was Nyjer-esque of me ;)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #90: October 16, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
Morgan has an OPS of under .650, including the postseason, since this incident.

It's just further proof as to why he's not a desirable piece to any team.  Sure, he'll have stretches of good-sometimes terrific-play, but you'll never have the security of knowing he's not going to start acting like a clown again and having his typical "focus problems."

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #91: October 16, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »

The ball hit Morgan's glove. Did he really think it was over the fence? That's how much higher? Watch the play. Even if an OF thinks a ball might "potentially" go over a fence or out of play, a professional tries. At least tries. A professional, but not, of course, Morgan.

This is absolutely what happened.  Morgan thought he'd given the ball an assist over the fence, hence his disgust and anger over his apparent miscue.  The way he landed he was briefly screened from seeing the ball and made the erroneous assumption it was gone.  I was at the game and have seen the replays, I've never had an iota of doubt that he believed it was out.

Offline welch

« Reply #92: October 16, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »
(a) Morgan has to keep playing until the umpire rules the ball a HR. Not sulk. "Don't stop until the ref blows the whistle or the umpire rules safe or out"...a lesson that 8-year-olds learn.

(b) There should be some communication with the other OFs...especially with the LF who appears to have run down the ball that Morgan ignored.

(c) Good players listen to crowd noise. Jeter says that he gets some clue from crowd sounds when he's got his back to a play. Volume of noise, kind of noise, things like that.

(d) For a ferociously tough guy, Morgan gave up easily. Harper threw himself into a wall in Harrisburg...we've seen the clip of Harper dashing home old-school, no helmet, like Willie Mays...except that Harper did a face-first dive that ripped of his belt-buckle and Mays usually did the classic feet-first slide. Players hit unpadded walls, railings, and tarp-rolls, but still keep going until the play is over. What's the matter with Morgan?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #93: October 16, 2011, 09:56:14 PM »

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #94: October 16, 2011, 11:18:09 PM »
Looks like Nyjer Moron will be watching "Alberta" and the Cards in the World Series from the comfort of his own living room. :mg:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #95: October 16, 2011, 11:23:34 PM »
Looks like Nyjer Moron will be watching "Alberta" and the Cards in the World Series from the comfort of his own living room. :mg:

(Image removed from quote.)

:clap:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #96: October 17, 2011, 06:19:57 PM »
Morgan's post-season: .179/.281/.250 2 R, 2 2B, 3 RBI, 2 BB & 11 SO,