Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals vs Pirates, Game 1 (Curly W)  (Read 7767 times)

Offline carlfish

Metssuck - another interesting thing you will notice is that there were allot more complete games and starting rotations were 4 players - not the 5 we usualy see today.

Offline carlfish

Yes - Evers and Chance ..... same guys ....  "Tinkers to Evers to Chance."

natintheuk

Quote from: "nats2playoffs"
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
WOW, I just found a Wikipedia page that shows the voting for the HOF in 1936... Check out the names of the players who didn't get enough votes... A virtual HOF who's who
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Hall_of_Fame_balloting,_1936

WOW!  I recognize 2 names, Johnny Evers and Frank Chance.  Weren't they the players in a famous triple play, "Tinkers to Evers to Chance."  I don't remember the circumstances, but I had a book of baseball history with lots of great stories, that turned me into a huge baseball fan.

Tea time for our British ally?
(Image removed from quote.)

any time is tea time for me old chap

Offline carlfish

This 'pants over the shoes' thing looks silly to me.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Quote from: "metssuck"
I'm not turning my back on him, but seriously gratitude only goes so far. If Ward is hot right now and Guillen is cold, it's foolish not to play Ward. Let Guillen pinch hit or something to keep him fresh but don't continue to let him go out there grounding into double plays night after night after night.

Gratitude only goes so far. How far does respect and accountability for a player who has changed for the better and was the catalyst for your season goes. Its a slap in the face when a guy like Guillen who prolongs surgery and plays thru pain for the sake of his team gets benched because of a rough start, especially knowing what hes capable. I can see if he was old and on the decline and he wsa the only person playing bad, but hey our record is 9-21 and its not only his fault. And no, Guillen is not ALbert Pujols or Lance Berkam, but then again is he make Albert Pujols' money. Nope.

playing through pain only goes so far, to the point where it is hurting the team.

if he needs surgery, he needs to take it, and get it over with.  he's no good to us with a dead shoulder, unable to drive the ball with any authority.

Offline Vladman1327

Hmm...Just thought of something...with Kasten's new philosphy, we might not be resigning Guillen, which I would not mind too much.  OF of Sori-Byrd-Church does not scare me too much.  I would not mind it, especially if we plan on rebuilding, anyway.

On second thought, we might not be resigning Sori either, but hey...

Offline JMW IV

Quote from: "carlfish"
This 'pants over the shoes' thing looks silly to me.

high socks looks so  much classier.

"pants over shoes" just looks sloppy.

Offline nats2playoffs

I found a good site on Tinkers to Evers to Chance.  They played 1902-1912 for the Cubs and double plays were rare at the time.  They developed infield defenses.  Get this : On July 28, 1910, Joe Tinker tied a major league record by stealing home twice in one game.  http://www.projectview.org/MathandBaseball/FactSheet.htm

Offline rileyn

The jinxed Guillen somehow pops up into a "double play."  But only because Vidro has, once again, left his map of the bases in the dugout.

Sorry for the delayed response but I am just catching up.  I had to give props for the excellent line about Vidro.  :lol:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Personally, I would much rather sign Soriano to an extension than Guillen. Sori has shown from the start, once he's in the lineup, he comes to play ball. Guillen on the other hand, comes looking for something to nag about. Keep Sori, let Guillen walk, collect the draft choice and move on

Offline JMW IV

Personally, I would much rather sign Soriano to an extension than Guillen. Sori has shown from the start, once he's in the lineup, he comes to play ball. Guillen on the other hand, comes looking for something to nag about. Keep Sori, let Guillen walk, collect the draft choice and move on

I'd tend to want to move both of them, for as many prospects as we can feasibly get.  there is still no indication that Soriano is even interested in discussing contracts here.

however, I'm in agreement with you, to an extent.  if I had to choose between Soriano and Guillen, I'm choosing Soriano.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
NICK!!!!!

Offline Vladman1327

NICHOLAS!

Offline rileyn

It's not even close.  They are both flakey, but Soriano is a better player.  Frankly, Guillens arm/defense is overrated, and Soriano will continue to improve out in LF.  At the plate, AS leaves JG far behind.  With that said, I don't think there is any scenario that brings Soriano back here next year.  He will be back in the American League.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
HOME RUN NICK JOHNSON

PIRATES : 0
NATIONALS : 6

Offline JMW IV

heya Chiefster...think you can hook a brother up?

Offline nats2playoffs

Quote from: "rileyn"
The jinxed Guillen somehow pops up into a "double play."  But only because Vidro has, once again, left his map of the bases in the dugout.

Sorry for the delayed response but I am just catching up.  I had to give props for the excellent line about Vidro.  :lol:

I wasn't even sure who was on base UNTIL I saw someone caught between 2nd and 3rd.  Before they said I thing, I thought "Got to be Vidro."

OMG NICK AT NIGHT!!!!

Offline JMW IV

HOME RUN NICK JOHNSON

PIRATES : 0
NATIONALS : 6

this man HAS to make the AS team.  BALLOT-STUFFING! DO IT! DO IT NOW!

Offline Vladman1327

I completely agree, though, let me bring up a scenario for you.  Remember when we traded Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, and Clifton Lee for Bartolo Colon?  I think the Indians got the better of that trade.  If the Nats can pull of something like that, I would not mind letting go of Sori.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Quote from: "rileyn"
It's not even close.  They are both flakey, but Soriano is a better player.  Frankly, Guillens arm/defense is overrated, and Soriano will continue to improve out in LF.  At the plate, AS leaves JG far behind.  With that said, I don't think there is any scenario that brings Soriano back here next year.  He will be back in the American League.

No matter where Soriano ends up, he'll never be anyone's starting 2B again.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Question of the moment, will LeCroy get the ball out of the infield?

Answer: Nope

natintheuk

man Johnson comes alive again tonight, 4 RBIs off 2 hits, and it looks like ill be in bed by 3am, happy days!

as a note, the first win for a starter at RFK for 25 games tonight

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Quote from: "Vladman1327"
I completely agree, though, let me bring up a scenario for you.  Remember when we traded Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, and Clifton Lee for Bartolo Colon?  I think the Indians got the better of that trade.  If the Nats can pull of something like that, I would not mind letting go of Sori.

If that were to happen, it wouldn't be a Jim Bowden trade, because he doesn't have the smarts to pull off a deal like that.

Offline nats2playoffs

They're all playing better because Bo Derek, actress from "10" with the late Dudley Moore, is sitting in the box seats wearing a Nationals away cap.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Quote from: "natintheuk"
man Johnson comes alive again tonight, 4 RBIs off 2 hits, and it looks like ill be in bed by 3am, happy days!

as a note, the first win for a starter at RFK for 25 games tonight

Hey UKnat, nice to see you staying up.  For once you are rewarded, eh?