Author Topic: Non-alcoholic Drinks  (Read 29969 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Offline houston-nat

Re: Soft Drinks
« Reply #201: June 27, 2011, 02:58:12 AM »
Isn't that what hung-over Scots wash down their deep-fried chocolate bars with?
Correct. Also their Scotch eggs: a deep-fried hard-boiled egg wrapped in sausage. I've had one. It was actually about 80% less disgusting than it sounds.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #202: June 27, 2011, 03:01:03 AM »
Uh, but back on the topic of soft drinks: Guarana from Brazil. That stuff is the BOMB. I could drink it pretty much exclusively, seriously.

Here in the UK, "lemonade" means "really lemony Sprite." But it's served in teeny tiny bottles.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #203: June 27, 2011, 03:03:39 AM »
Try introducing them to iced tea :P

Actually, they might deport you :lol:

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #204: June 27, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
ayo, anybody remember when that soda in the early 90's they used to serve called clear pepsi. whatever happened to it. as i youngin, that alli stayed up on. do they still sell it anywhere.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #205: June 27, 2011, 02:01:51 PM »
No.  There seems to be a campaign to bring it back, though :lol:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #206: July 17, 2011, 12:20:22 PM »
Had a Pepsi (regular) earlier today and noticed on the ingredient panel that it contained not just the usual high-fructose corn syrup...but also regular sugar. Tasted sort of like it, too (in other words, better than regular Pepsi has latterly tasted).

Combine this with the 'throwback' Pepsi and Mountain Dew...the cola giants are starting to totter...total victory is in sight, mates....

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #207: July 17, 2011, 12:24:07 PM »
Oh yeah, the old Hawaiian Punch and Everclear cocktail, eh?

We used to make something like that called Purple Jesus... A can of grape juice, a bottle of H. Punch some lemon/lime juice and about a pint of Everclear. Man that stuff would kick your ass.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #208: July 17, 2011, 12:26:35 PM »
We used to make something like that called Purple Jesus... A can of grape juice, a bottle of H. Punch some lemon/lime juice and about a pint of Everclear. Man that stuff would kick your ass.

Amen brother ...

Offline blue911

« Reply #209: July 17, 2011, 12:38:06 PM »

We called that Headbunters Punch. I guess now we'd have to call it Non-traditional Dieter's Punch.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #210: September 16, 2011, 03:39:56 AM »
Is there any brand of instant coffee that tastes decent?  I brought a little bottle of Maxwell House instant to work but it's not cutting it.  Only slightly better than the coffee vending machine.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #211: September 16, 2011, 07:43:07 AM »
Personally I think RT Dark Roast Coffee & Chicory is your best bet but you may not care for Chicory. For more standard coffee fare, Starbuck Via is likely the best but expensive. Mount Hagen Freeze Dried Coffee is popular.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #212: September 16, 2011, 07:51:30 AM »
Personally I think RT Dark Roast Coffee & Chicory is your best bet but you may not care for Chicory. For more standard coffee fare, Starbuck Via is likely the best but expensive. Mount Hagen Freeze Dried Coffee is popular.

RT?  Yeah, I've had the Via and it is decent, but it's like $7-8 a box and the box is I think 6 packets.  I'm not paying $1+ for a cup of instant coffee.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #213: September 16, 2011, 07:55:38 AM »
There are several other brands as well. Popular in New Orleans and some parts of Europe and India. Chicory is baked, ground, and used as a coffee additive. It is different but it masks the instant coffee flavor well. Drat, now I want Beignets.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #214: September 16, 2011, 07:57:47 AM »
I know what chicory is, but I don't know what RT is.  Is that the brand does RT stand for something?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #215: September 16, 2011, 08:03:18 AM »
RT is a brand. Yellow package, red letters. Some people say it stands for "Real Thing" but that is not written anywhere on the package. Luzianne, Cafe Du Monde Coffee, and Bru are a few others although not all of those are instants.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #216: September 16, 2011, 08:39:53 AM »
Is there any brand of instant coffee that tastes decent?  I brought a little bottle of Maxwell House instant to work but it's not cutting it.  Only slightly better than the coffee vending machine.

Of course there is.

Backpacker Magazine's Editors Choice Award Winner for 2010:

The best instant coffee.   Ever.

http://www.backpacker.com/editors-choice-2010-starbucks-via-ready-brew-/gear/14019

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #217: September 16, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »
a pinch of salt helps instant coffee too.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #218: September 16, 2011, 11:18:30 AM »
Also, you don't need instant.  They make 1-cup filters for camping that hold grounds in a compartment and you just pour hot water in, and it gravity flows through to the cup.  So you just use regular coffee, though you have to clean it each time.  Fully recyclable, no paper filters.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #219: September 16, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »
We are a bit fussy here at work, but lots of people use small french presses.  Bodum I think makes the 12 OZ that I use. I forget the model.  There are also gravity systems like the one I use for tea (Bonjour / available at Teavanna) that should work for a ground coffee.  They clean easy, too - just pore some water in, take it over to the toilet, and dump the water and grounds out.  That'll do. 

Alternatively, one thing I do for tea is keep an old plastic 1 qt container as kind of a knock out box for tea leaves. You could do the same for grounds.  I keep dishwashing soap around and clean out my tea stuff good in the morning.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #220: September 16, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »
Would it be embarrassing to admit I've never had coffee before?  :couch:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #221: September 16, 2011, 12:07:19 PM »
Just want toot my own horn here. Haven't had a soda/caffeine in over a month and a half, and I feel good.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #222: September 16, 2011, 12:10:32 PM »
Would it be embarrassing to admit I've never had coffee before?  :couch:

No, not at all.  A man's gotta know his limitations.  Some just lack the intestinal fortitude to take that first sip.  In today's world, this is perfectly acceptable.  Many of these men take that time that would otherwise be wasted and spend it removing body hair instead.

:crackup:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #223: September 16, 2011, 12:43:58 PM »
No, not at all.  A man's gotta know his limitations.  Some just lack the intestinal fortitude to take that first sip.  In today's world, this is perfectly acceptable.  Many of these men take that time that would otherwise be wasted and spend it removing body hair instead.

Calm down there beefcake jones.  Just 'cause I ain't no sissy drinking coffee connoisseur don't make me some nancy boi.  I got so much check hair Davey Johnson asked me to be his emergency reliever...

read into that what you want. :P

Offline Nathan

« Reply #224: September 16, 2011, 12:45:01 PM »
We are a bit fussy here at work, but lots of people use small french presses.  Bodum I think makes the 12 OZ that I use. I forget the model.  There are also gravity systems like the one I use for tea (Bonjour / available at Teavanna) that should work for a ground coffee.  They clean easy, too - just pore some water in, take it over to the toilet, and dump the water and grounds out.  That'll do. 

Alternatively, one thing I do for tea is keep an old plastic 1 qt container as kind of a knock out box for tea leaves. You could do the same for grounds.  I keep dishwashing soap around and clean out my tea stuff good in the morning.
Tea would work better I guess.  Or I could see if I could use my French press or my bodum mini electric Santos vac pot.  They're cool as hell to watch.