Author Topic: The Deserted Island Album Thread  (Read 2643 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: The Deserted Island Album Thread
« Reply #75: August 06, 2011, 09:48:32 AM »

Fab Four – Rubber Soul

Does anyone have the National Lampoon Beatles issue from about 1978?  The one with the fake album covers?  One album was from their Jewish period - "Rabbi Saul." Great song titles, but the only one I remember is "In Memory of Mr. Ki#e."

Found this:
http://silent3.blogspot.com/2007_03_04_archive.html
National Lampoon (hey, remember them?) once put out an issue devoted to a parody of The Beatles. One part of the magazine featured "the albums the Fab Four never released".

One album was a take-off on the Beatles' LP Rubber Soul. (The album actually was influenced by an encounter The Beatles had with Bob Dylan).

In the National Lampoon's version, Dylan converted them to Judiasm. The Beatles then released... "Rabbi Saul".

The album contained songs such as "The Shul on the Hill" ... "Your Mother Should Only Know" ... "If I Kvell" ... "Hey Juden" ... "This Goy" .

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #76: August 06, 2011, 10:13:50 AM »
Does anyone have the National Lampoon Beatles issue from about 1978?  The one with the fake album covers?  One album was from their Jewish period - "Rabbi Saul." Great song titles, but the only one I remember is "In Memory of Mr. Ki#e."

Found this:
http://silent3.blogspot.com/2007_03_04_archive.html

Is there anybody going to listen to my story
All about the goy who came to stay?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #77: August 06, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »
My mind has been changed:

Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand
Miles Davis - On the Corner
Brian Eno - Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks
Miles Davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson
The Roots - Game Theory

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #78: August 06, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »
Excellent call.

Thanks!  Did you ever see him in concert?  I was fortunate enough to see him twice in the 90s in DC, but I think Milton and most other Brazilian musicians just stopped touring in DC and New York after 9/11 - it was just too much trouble getting a visa.

Milton is so brilliant, I think I'd have serious trouble coming up with my top ten favorite tunes by him.

Eu gosto muito de MPB!

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #79: August 06, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
Feat with a 2-0 lead over The Who so far.    :shock:

That is a little shocking.  Who's Next would probably make my top twenty list (maybe even my top ten, if I limited it to rock only).  But as good as The Who was, I think Feat was better (live especially).

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80: August 06, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »
Saw The Who live on the tour that they had the deaths at the Cincinnati show.  We only had severe injuries in New Haven.  I think this was on the tour for Who Are You - 1st Post-Moon album?   Who's Next is a huge oversight on my part, but I cannot bump Squeezin' out the Sparks / Live Sparks.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #81: August 06, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »
Saw The Who live on the tour that they had the deaths at the Cincinnati show.  We only had severe injuries in New Haven.  I think this was on the tour for Who Are You - 1st Post-Moon album?   Who's Next is a huge oversight on my part, but I cannot bump Squeezin' out the Sparks / Live Sparks.

I saw them at Capital Centre, think that was the same tour.  Kenny Jones on drums.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #82: August 06, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »
I saw them at Capital Centre, think that was the same tour.  Kenny Jones on drums.

I saw them at Capital Centre too, with Keith Moon trashing his drums!  It was the Quadrophenia tour, and we were about 20-30 feet from the stage.  I believe it was the first rock concert ever at the Cap Centre (1973).

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #83: August 06, 2011, 04:53:42 PM »
I saw the Who post-Entwistle and they were horrible.  I only wish I would have been alive to see the at Leeds.  "Live at Leeds" is up there with "At Budokan" in badazzery.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84: August 06, 2011, 06:43:28 PM »
There is no such thing as The Who post-Enwhistle.  There was barely The Who post-Moon.  I think Townsend is an incredible talent and Daltrey is good at singing Townsend's songs, but the are not The Who without Moon and The Ox.

Sadly, I also think there is not E Street Band without the Big Man.  No slight to Danny Federici, either.  I hope Bruce retires the name.