Author Topic: LaRoche re-signs with Nats  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Ray D

Re: LaRoche re-signs with Nats
« Reply #75: January 08, 2013, 05:15:52 PM »

If it doesn't matter, then who gives a crap about lefty power?

I said it doesn't (much) matter that he doesn't hit lefthanded pitching.  That's because most of the pitching he'll face are righthanded, and when he does face a lefthander the many righthanders in the lineup will have a field day.   And it's also a good thing to have a lefthanded batter when there is a runner on first. That's why teams like to have a lefty bat #2.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #76: January 08, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
I said it doesn't (much) matter that he doesn't hit lefthanded pitching.  That's because most of the pitching he'll face are righthanded, and when he does face a lefthander the many righthanders in the lineup will have a field day.   And it's also a good thing to have a lefthanded batter when there is a runner on first. That's why teams like to have a lefty bat #2.

*sigh*

Morse is a better hitter against lefties. He's a better hitter against righties. He's a better hitter against submariners. He's a better hitter against knuckleballers.

He's a better hitter. Period. End of discussion.

Morse is a better first baseman.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #77: January 08, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Morse is a better hitter against lefties. He's a better hitter against righties. He's a better hitter against submariners. He's a better hitter against knuckleballers.

Morse is not better against a fox. Morse is not better in a box. Morse is not better at the fair. Morse is not better anywhere!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #78: January 08, 2013, 06:05:41 PM »
Hammonds needs to quit being an Oriole nag

If it doesn't matter, then who gives a crap about lefty power? Still doesn't change the fact that Morse is a much better hitter than Laroche.

you're making morse out to be a hall of famer and you just diminished the value of having a gold glove 1B who can also smack in 30 homers and drive in 100 runs. 

i like morse a lot, but to say laroche's defense equals morse's offense (when laroche has put up similar numbers) ... is ban worthy lol

yeah you make a whole lot of sense.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #79: January 08, 2013, 06:06:23 PM »
Morse is a better first baseman.

PA has never even reached that level 8)

seriously, you're just trolling.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #80: January 08, 2013, 06:38:41 PM »
PA has never even reached that level 8)

seriously, you're just trolling.

You are a troll. Ever post, every thought on these boards is a massive troll. Go back to bird land and worship the statute of Cal Ripken. You're not a Nationals fan. You never have been. You never will be.

Here's what matters for a player playing first base

1. Hitting
2. Hitting for power
5. Defense

If defense mattered at all, neither Cabrera nor Fielder would be first baseman. They would DH. No one gives a crap. First base is the position you put the least mobile, least athletic guy who's bat is worth having in the lineup. It simply doesn't matter. Most glove glove first baseman can't do crap at third or any other position that requires fielding skill.

Morse has now shown for three seasons that when he's healthy, he mashes. He hits better than Laroche. He has a huge fan following.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #81: January 08, 2013, 06:39:09 PM »
Morse is not better against a fox. Morse is not better in a box. Morse is not better at the fair. Morse is not better anywhere!

Morse will eat green eggs and ham. He will eat them, Sam I Am

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #82: January 08, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »
You are a troll. Ever post, every thought on these boards is a massive troll. Go back to bird land and worship the statute of Cal Ripken. You're not a Nationals fan. You never have been. You never will be.

1. Hitting
2. Hitting for power
5. Defense

If defense mattered at all, neither Cabrera nor Fielder would be first baseman. They would DH. No one gives a crap. First base is the position you put the least mobile, least athletic guy who's bat is worth having in the lineup. It simply doesn't matter. Most glove glove first baseman can't do crap at third or any other position that requires fielding skill.

Morse has now shown for three seasons that when he's healthy, he mashes. He hits better than Laroche. He has a huge fan following.

Who gives a damn about the last part.

Dunn was just as big a fan favorite if not more so. Lot of good that did him.

Dunn's was also a better hitter at the time he was let go than Morse is now. Deal with it.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #83: January 08, 2013, 06:46:57 PM »
LOL @ slatetroll. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #84: January 08, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »
nats don't have to trade morse - although i'm 98% sure they will - and rizzo will continue to hold out for the best offer like he usually does.  i trust him and this whole thing will work out.  just like it did with LaRoche signing today.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #85: January 08, 2013, 06:53:46 PM »
Rizzo will trade Morse to give him a shot at a big contract next year. He won't get one sitting on the Nats bench.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #86: January 08, 2013, 06:56:32 PM »
Rizzo will trade Morse to give him a shot at a big contract next year. He won't get one sitting on the Nats bench.

that has nothing to do with it.  he's under contract.  morse is a great guy and the club is going to want him to succeed wherever he goes, but let's be realistic here ... they aren't just going to trade him for some terrible prospect just so they can make Morse happy and see him play. 

it's a business.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #87: January 08, 2013, 07:07:39 PM »
I agree with everything Slateman posted. 

Offline Rasta

« Reply #88: January 08, 2013, 07:48:19 PM »

1. Hitting
2. Hitting for power
5. Defense

1.  I love Morse but the problem with this post is the part about staying healthy.  If he's not in the in lineup it doesn't matter if he's a better hitter.  I have no problem keeping him if you don't get a decent offer. 

2.  Cabrera and Fielder are at 1B because their bats are insane.  Morse's best year is pretty much their average years.  You can make that trade off if Morse was going to do that every year.  Your position is based on the assumption that Morse can stay healthy and put up numbers comparable to his best year. 

3.  Defense does matter at 1B.  Is it the most important thing?  No.  But when you have an elite one that can put up good offensive numbers then you can't just throw defense out of the debate. 

In a vacuum where you assume the best case scenario, sure Morse is the better hitter.  The problem is he hasn't stayed healthy 2 of the past 3 years.  No one loves Morse more than me but IMO it would have been a risk to let LaRoche walk completely and assume Morse would be healthy all year.  Maybe Moore could have stepped in but that's no guarantee either and for a team that can win it all I think you have to go with the safer option. 

Offline codedandunited

« Reply #89: January 08, 2013, 08:01:41 PM »
Wouldn't LaRoche's glove make up for the loss of Morse?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #90: January 08, 2013, 08:05:20 PM »
Morse is actually being replaced by Span, so the question is whether Span is an upgrade over Morse, not LaRoche.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #91: January 08, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »
Hell No !  AL's glove isn't so special to be worth trading Morse

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #92: January 08, 2013, 08:07:14 PM »
That's definately not the question, for Morse should be at 1st base

Morse is actually being replaced by Span, so the question is whether Span is an upgrade over Morse, not LaRoche.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #93: January 08, 2013, 08:07:54 PM »
1.  I love Morse but the problem with this post is the part about staying healthy.  If he's not in the in lineup it doesn't matter if he's a better hitter.  I have no problem keeping him if you don't get a decent offer. 

2.  Cabrera and Fielder are at 1B because their bats are insane.  Morse's best year is pretty much their average years.  You can make that trade off if Morse was going to do that every year.  Your position is based on the assumption that Morse can stay healthy and put up numbers comparable to his best year. 

3.  Defense does matter at 1B.  Is it the most important thing?  No.  But when you have an elite one that can put up good offensive numbers then you can't just throw defense out of the debate. 

In a vacuum where you assume the best case scenario, sure Morse is the better hitter.  The problem is he hasn't stayed healthy 2 of the past 3 years.  No one loves Morse more than me but IMO it would have been a risk to let LaRoche walk completely and assume Morse would be healthy all year.  Maybe Moore could have stepped in but that's no guarantee either and for a team that can win it all I think you have to go with the safer option. 

All this is true.  He has health issues, he is nowhere near as good as Cabrera or Fielder, and LaRoche is a better fielder.

But LaRoche is aging and coming off a career year and may be due for a regression.  I'm not sure that LaRoche is any safer an option.

Online rileyn

« Reply #94: January 08, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »
Let me think about this.....the guy that built the 98 win team and the manager of the year prefer Laroche at 1B.  Now let me see, who should I side with?  Them or Slateman?  Tough one.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #95: January 08, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »
LaRoche gives us about 10 more wins with his smile alone, so I'm on board with this move.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #96: January 08, 2013, 08:57:48 PM »
Let me think about this.....the guy that built the 98 win team and the manager of the year prefer Laroche at 1B.  Now let me see, who should I side with?  Them or Slateman?  Tough one.

Offline Espy18

« Reply #97: January 08, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »

This post is 100% correct. Many of you seem to think that Morse will easily repeat his 2011. That's just not a risk that anyone in the org should take. LaRoche's 2012: 3.8 WAR. Morse's 2011: 3.3. Putting aside that, we have now solved our first base position for the next two years, whereas if you only keep Morse you immediately have to worry about what to do next year. I'll be the first one to cheer for Mike if he ever come back to Nats Park, but LaRoche is the better option by far.

Offline Espy18

« Reply #98: January 08, 2013, 09:07:02 PM »

1. Hitting
2. Hitting for power
5. Defense

Morse showed for ONE full season that he can mash. Last year he put up a 113 wRC+, while LaRoche put up 127. So I guess if Morse mashed last year then LaRoche utterly demolished.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #99: January 08, 2013, 09:08:43 PM »
This post is 100% correct. Many of you seem to think that Morse will easily repeat his 2011. That's just not a risk that anyone in the org should take. LaRoche's 2012: 3.8 WAR. Morse's 2011: 3.3. Putting aside that, we have now solved our first base position for the next two years, whereas if you only keep Morse you immediately have to worry about what to do next year. I'll be the first one to cheer for Mike if he ever come back to Nats Park, but LaRoche is the better option by far.

and LaRoche isn't an injury/performance risk? 2012 was a great year, but 2011, -.2 WAR, 2010, 1.2 WAR, 2009 2.4 WAR, 2008 1.5 WAR.