Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Michael Taylor, CF  (Read 18481 times)

Offline WhiteWhale

Re: Follow the Prospects: Michael Taylor, CF
« Reply #125: June 23, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »
There is little doubt that Rizzo is just drooling over his AA beef, but to make room he will have to harpoon his white whale.  Decisions, decisions...

:nono:

White Whale is not pleased

actually, I know you mean Span, and that is fine. I am the version of the white whale that evolves....right now I am health. After this year I could be Taylor, a 2B that can bat at the top of the order, or a gaggle of slumpbusters.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #126: June 24, 2014, 12:29:52 AM »
Goodwin is on the edge. Span has a job for another season in Washington; Taylor to Syracuse. Hope they don;t forget Souza...hitting about .360, give or take a few points.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #127: June 24, 2014, 06:51:40 AM »
Goodwin is on the edge. Span has a job for another season in Washington; Taylor to Syracuse. Hope they don;t forget Souza...hitting about .360, give or take a few points.
Wait, they promoted him?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #128: June 24, 2014, 01:16:54 PM »
Wait, they promoted him?

Still listed on Harrisburg per MILB.com.

Offline zoom

« Reply #129: June 24, 2014, 03:16:56 PM »
named to futures game (with Giolito)

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #130: June 24, 2014, 03:21:39 PM »
Perhaps I am too pessimistic but I don't see this guy making it with the crowded outfield they've already got and what will only get more crowded.  I hope I am wrong but he seems trade fodder at this point.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #131: June 24, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »
We will have an opening for a CFer after this season.

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #132: June 24, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »
We will have an opening for a CFer after this season.

So you think ALR won't be a Nat next season?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #133: June 24, 2014, 03:27:10 PM »
I see no reason why they would re-sign him. I appreciate what he's doing this season but time to move on. He's old and can't keep this up forever. Look to trade for a 1B or give Tyler Moore a chance.

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #134: June 24, 2014, 03:30:07 PM »
Wait, my question was a loaded one.  If they don't re-sign ALR that's good by me but Ryan goes there right?  No need to sign one or let that hack Moore try it out.  If not Ryan then who leaves the outfield?  Span I guess?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #135: June 24, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »
So you think ALR won't be a Nat next season?

After his 2011, he quickly became my least favorite Nat, after last year, I didn't want him back, but he's grown on me and I think he's one of the team's best hitters. That being said, I think they should move on. Zimmerman needs to play somewhere (his contract guarantees the team won't be moving on anytime soon) and there is just too much of a log jam in the outfield

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #136: June 24, 2014, 03:32:47 PM »
After his 2011, he quickly became my least favorite Nat, after last year, I didn't want him back, but he's grown on me and I think he's one of the team's best hitters. That being said, I think they should move on. Zimmerman needs to play somewhere (his contract guarantees the team won't be moving on anytime soon) and there is just too much of a log jam in the outfield

My point exactly.  Unless they move RZ to the infield there is no way Taylor makes this squad as an everyday player and even then...

Offline blue911

« Reply #137: June 24, 2014, 03:40:21 PM »
His power has dropped considerably with his reduced K%. June shows a 20% K with a .145 ISO & only 5 XBH.

Online Slateman

« Reply #138: June 27, 2014, 09:34:48 PM »
Taylor playing RF tonight. Weird, cus I thought you guys said he couldn't . . .

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #139: June 27, 2014, 09:53:53 PM »
BaseballAmerica Prospect Hot Sheet Chat (June 27) With Matt Eddy

Jim Prospector (Dallas, TX): Michael A. Taylor......best CF defense in minors....over .400 OBP, 17HRs, .982 OPS....what is not to love ??????
Matt Eddy: A strikeout rate higher than Joey Gallo? I know you’re being rhetorical, and I like Taylor, too, but to say he has no flaws is disingenuous. He’s learning to turn his tools into skills, and now he’s sharpening those skills. A potential first-division CF.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-june-27-matt-eddy/

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #140: June 28, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »
Strikeout rate isn't a flaw when you OPS near 1.000

It's part of what makes you great

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #142: July 07, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »
BaseballAmerica Midseason top 50 comment section..

Tim  • 6 hours ago 

Good work on the top 50 (as always).... how close were Dilson Herrera and Michael Taylor

JJCooperBA Mod > Tim  • 6 hours ago 

Taylor was closer than Herrera. Taylor almost made the back end of the list. He's written up in a piece we'll having going live for subscribers tomorrow about top rising prospects, falling prospects and guys who came from way off the radar (guys who weren't in the Prospect Handbook Top 30s before the season).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/midseason-top-50-injury-cant-knock-buxton-1/

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #143: July 21, 2014, 03:55:19 PM »
A few comments from BP's Jason Parks.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=24193

Michael Taylor, OF, Nationals (Double-A Harrisburg)
Lost beside the incandescence of his Futures Game contemporaries, Taylor was a silent star in the pre-game batting practice, showing easy plus power with explosive hips and hands. It’s hard to champion any hitter after Gallo ruined our perception of power with his cage conquest, but I absolutely loved the way Taylor generated his pop, despite a body that doesn’t identify itself as a middle-of-the-order threat; Taylor is quite narrow in the hips and long, the body of an athlete but not the body commonly associated with a 23-year-old baseball player. Since being selected in the sixth round in the 2009 draft, Taylor has flashed tantalizing tools accompanied by maddening inconsistencies and on-the-field utility. But he has taken a big step forward so far in 2014, driving the ball with more authority and hanging in against arm-side pitching. The swing-and-miss is still a concern, and I don’t project Taylor to be a plus hit utility player at the major-league level. But if he can make enough contact to put the power and the speed into the game, his overall profile will play as a regular—and perhaps a first division impact talent if he can continue to refine at the plate. –Jason Parks

And in response to a question as to whether Taylor might be able to replace Span after 2015, assuming of course the Nats extend Denard:

Good question. I think contact could be a big issue with Taylor, and I say this even though I'm clearly high on his talent. I assume the Nats would love to see him step up and establish himself as the CF of the future, a player ready to arrive in 2015 and take over in 2016. I think its very possible--likely even. But he needs to continue making progress at the plate, as there is a huge difference between AA pitching and major league pitching, and he would absolutely get exposed by that level of talent right now.

Online Slateman

« Reply #144: July 21, 2014, 04:51:30 PM »
Starting to come back down to earth. Strikeouts are up, contact is down.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #145: July 22, 2014, 12:19:12 AM »
Saw him in Richmond the other day. Swing was a bit long but he was so smooth in CF.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #146: August 04, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »
James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP  12s 
 Nats OF prospect Michael A. Taylor has been promoted to Class AAA Syracuse, per @ChiefsRadio. Hitting .313/.396/.539 with 22 HRs & 34 SBs.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #147: August 04, 2014, 03:59:39 PM »
James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP  12s 
 Nats OF prospect Michael A. Taylor has been promoted to Class AAA Syracuse, per @ChiefsRadio. Hitting .313/.396/.539 with 22 HRs & 34 SBs.

i wonder if we'll see him in september?

Online Slateman

« Reply #148: August 04, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »
i wonder if we'll see him in september?

Hope so

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #149: August 04, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »
without a doubt