Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Thread  (Read 62107 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Re: Skyrim Thread
« Reply #500: December 09, 2011, 03:15:19 PM »
Where are the best places to mine some ore?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #501: December 09, 2011, 03:24:06 PM »
Where are the best places to mine some ore?

Well there are scattered ore veins all over the wilderness, but for concentrated mining, mines are best.  Most mines seem to specialize in one type of ore.  I know of a handful of mines off the top of my head, but since my previous character was a mage, I never made extensive note of where mines for each type of ore are.  If you don't mind wiki'ing I'm sure either of the two popular TES wikis can tell you, but I prefer to find things on my own.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #502: December 09, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »
I find myself getting confused over which rocks are just rocks and which ones are actual veins that can be mined.  I feel like an idiot for not thinking to look more closely in the mines I've been in :doh:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #503: December 09, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »
I find myself getting confused over which rocks are just rocks and which ones are actual veins that can be mined.  I feel like an idiot for not thinking to look more closely in the mines I've been in :doh:

The ore veins are striped and glow a bit.  There's a mod that makes them glow more obviously, if you're playing on PC.  I haven't personally found it necessary, but I know a lot of people prefer it.

Offline epic_phalanx

« Reply #504: December 09, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »
I'm not doing anything with mining this playthrough, but off the top of my head there are at least two mines in Dawnstar. I think there's a mine, as well as a smelter, just outside of Kynesgrove where Delphine takes you to defeat the dragon early on in the main story. There's also Cidhna Mine in Markarth, but as it doubles as their jail, I don't know if you can actually keep the ore you mine there in any way.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #505: December 10, 2011, 12:25:24 AM »
I have been a Skyrim binge lately. :mg:

Mining become fun after applying the mod to make them glow just a little more. I am sure I still walk right by them sometimes but for me it is a lot better and I actually notice them sometimes.

The Labyrinthian seems quite difficult and I would not mind some tips, (particularly the giant room with all the skeletons and skeleton dragon). I have tried stealth/fury/fire antoach approach but the skeleton dragon is always active and I get seen. I tried punching my way left or right but get mauled. Stop to grab Lyadia, by activating the lever just past the door, and get mauled.

What level were you when you did Labyrinthian? Does that even matter, I.E. does the difficulty change your level? I am level 17 (although less than 70% combat perks chosen) and reached this quest, I am almost thinking it might be too early and better to switch back to the apprentice or shout related quests.

Is it just me or does the game get harder if you simply dedicate yourself to a single line of quests and spend more on non-combat perks? 

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #506: December 10, 2011, 12:50:41 AM »
From what I understand, the game levels to you.  Enemies get stronger as you get stronger.

I did Labyrinthian at 18 I think.  What is your build?  I died twice.  The strategy I used was luring them into the hallway so I couldn't te surrounded, and stagger lock with OC'd destro spells.

Offline epic_phalanx

« Reply #507: December 10, 2011, 02:31:17 AM »
For that part of Labyrinthian, I think I was able to eliminate all the standard draugr through the slots in the door with arrows and magic without being in any danger. After dispatching them, save the game and chug some potions, then open the door and trigger the skeletal dovah (it didn't attack until I actually opened the door). It was not a difficult battle for me, but if you've been doing a lot of smithing/enchanting to boost levels it might take a few tries.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #508: December 10, 2011, 10:53:03 AM »
From what I understand, the game levels to you.  Enemies get stronger as you get stronger.

I thought this wasn't the case.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #509: December 10, 2011, 10:53:49 AM »
So, guess who just got Skyrim for Chanukmas?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #510: December 10, 2011, 11:01:11 AM »
Nathan, not exactly.

Obed,  this should answer your question:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Leveling#Effects_of_Leveling

Offline The Chief

« Reply #511: December 10, 2011, 11:03:56 AM »
Different locations in Skyrim have different inherent difficulties. In other words, some dungeons are designed to be too difficult for low-level characters to enter. More challenging dungeons are generally located at higher elevations, meaning that early in the game players may want to avoid mountainous regions. However, more difficult dungeons contain better rewards. In addition, some high-quality items can be randomly found even early in the game.

The level of a given dungeon is fixed the first time you enter it. Therefore, places that you enter early in the game will always contain relatively weak enemies, even if you return to the same dungeon at the end of the game.

In addition, all levelled enemies are generated more like levelled creatures in Oblivion. For example, Bandit NPCs are always a fixed level for their name (Bandits are level 1, Bandit Thugs are level 9, Bandit Highywaymen are level 14, etc). The player's level affects the range of possible bandit types generated within a bandit dungeon, and probably the frequency, but does not seem to affect the resulting stats except in a few rare cases. Lower variant bandits remain reasonably common even when more dangerous bandits are available.

Enemy types also seem to reach a plateau where they stop getting stronger. The strongest bandits (non-boss) are mid-20s. The strongest generic vampire is 54, and guards seem to stop scaling at 50. This implies that the difficulty of many areas will not increase beyond certain levels, except perhaps in frequency of difficult encounters.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #512: December 10, 2011, 11:27:22 AM »
Thanks folks. Appreciated. :thumbs:

I think I must have been tired. I used the pull the lever, shoot with firebolt, repeat method. Tedious but I lacked the requisite stealth for something more subtle.  :?

I am running high elf archer/destruction magic with alchemy, enchanting, and along with persuastion while dabbling in the other magics and stealth/sneak. I know that might not be the best power gaming character but it is fun. :mg: I have been meaning to put the character into the build tool but haven't gotten around to it.

Unrelated sort of but would you buy Elder Scrolls IV today if you had never played it? Pretty crazy sales but I am unsure if I would be dissaponted after playing Skyrim. I am curious about some of the background story though.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #513: December 10, 2011, 02:22:23 PM »
So, guess who just got Skyrim for Chanukmas?

Nice :thumbs:
Nathan, not exactly.

Obed,  this should answer your question:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Leveling#Effects_of_Leveling
So it kinda does and kinda doesn't :lol:  but it seems like dungeons do?  :shrug:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #514: December 10, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
Someone sell me on this game. What do you do... And what is the endgame?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #515: December 10, 2011, 02:35:42 PM »
Damn so many people are about this game. I have no idea whats so good about this game lol.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #516: December 10, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »
Nice :thumbs:So it kinda does and kinda doesn't :lol:  but it seems like dungeons do?  :shrug:

I think individual dungeons have a set "range" of difficulty.  For example Embershard mine probably caps at a very low level since it's a beginning-of-game dungeon.  Different regions also clearly carry different difficulties...  the first time I traveled to Winterhold I immediately noticed that the wild animals were much stronger.

I think right now a lot of the info about how leveling works is based on guesstimation and developer interviews.  Once the creation kit comes out, more of the nitty gritty details should become available.  I for one am very curious what the difficulty setting affects.  In Oblivion, I think the only thing it changed was the damage ratio between the PC and enemies (higher diff = player does less dmg, enemies do more).  I haven't heard whether Skyrim's difficulty settings change anything more than that yet.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #517: December 10, 2011, 03:38:43 PM »
Has anyone tried the crafting/meltdown mod?  It sounds interesting, but I kind of feel like it defeats the whole point of mining, and smithing already seems a bit overpowered.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #518: December 10, 2011, 11:06:45 PM »
Vampirism is so freaking annoying.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #519: December 10, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Cure it?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #520: December 10, 2011, 11:30:21 PM »

No. There is no one end game. There are numerous quests which you are free to complete or ignore as you see fit. You can go nearly anywhere you can see and it pretty amazing in terms of how it looks (particularly with the PC mods). Damn fine RPG.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #521: December 11, 2011, 12:07:28 AM »

Best game I've played in many years regardless of genre. ∞ WAR.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #522: December 11, 2011, 01:02:45 AM »

Outside of the first ~10 minutes, there isn't anything you have to do.  Do what you want, go where you want.  Talk to people.  Some may ask you to do something.  Accept it or not.  For instance:

I was approached by a band of Redguards in Whiterun asking me to find a girl.  They were not allowed in the city, so they asked me to find her and when I did, travel to Rorikstead and tell them where she was hiding.  I found Saadia, and she begged for my help.  She tells me those men were bounty hunters.  They wanted to turn her blood into gold, she was in fact a political refuge from Hammerfell.

I agree to help her instead, and she asks me to find the leader of the bounty hunters in a cave between Rorikstead and Whiterun, and that buy killing him, the rest of the band would scatter.  I agree to help her instead.

I make my way through this bandit hideout cave, mercilessly slaughtering the bandits.  But when I get to one part, someone engages me in a conversation.  The leader of the bounty hunters!  There with his gang, he tells me I have been lied to!

He asks me what she said her name was.  She has many.  She IS a political figure from hammerfell, he explains.  But she used her position to undermine the defense of a city that subsequently fell by the hands of the Aldmeri Dominion.  They wish to take her back to Hammerfell for a trial for her crimes.  He tells me to tell her that she has been found and that I had a horse ready for her escape.  There, he would be waiting to take her into custody.

So I have a choice.  Help the woman or turn her over.  Kill this dude right now, or go lure her into a trap.

Honestly, that's where I last saved because I'm not sure who to believe.  I may kill him, see what happens, then reload and lure her into the trap and see what happens if I take that route.  I'm not sure what to do.

Oh, and that's just one of so many side quests.  Not even the main story line quest.  There are also miscellaneous quest using a feature they call radiant ai (I think) that will endlessly generate small quests for you to do from different people.  So the game never really ends.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #523: December 11, 2011, 08:19:30 AM »
Best game I've played in many years regardless of genre. ∞ WAR.

Really?  I'm totally not a RPG guy but all of this talk about it has me salivating waiting for Chunkmas to happen so I can finally play this beast.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #524: December 11, 2011, 08:40:43 AM »
Really?

Yes. This one has crossed over into something new and exceptional.