Author Topic: Air Conditioner Help  (Read 1128 times)

Offline ronnynat

Air Conditioner Help
« Topic Start: June 07, 2008, 02:12:03 PM »
I don't know anything about these things. I turned the AC on, the fans started in the house, but the outside unit won't turn on. I tried reseting the breaker, but that didn't work.

Does anyone know if there's a possible quick fix here? This is a terrible day for this to happen! :?

Re: Air Conditioner Help
« Reply #1: June 07, 2008, 02:19:50 PM »
I don't know anything about these things. I turned the AC on, the fans started in the house, but the outside unit won't turn on. I tried reseting the breaker, but that didn't work.

Does anyone know if there's a possible quick fix here? This is a terrible day for this to happen! :?

Had the same thing happen to me about three weeks ago. It ended up the control board inside the unit went bad and had to be replaced. If it is that, there is no quick fix unless you can find an AC guy with the exact part and who will come out on a weekend to switch them out.

My total bill was over $300 because of parts and labor. Also, my unit is pretty old but a real survivor so the part was a bit harder to find and it was a refurbished one.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #2: June 07, 2008, 02:41:16 PM »
Had the same thing happen to me about three weeks ago. It ended up the control board inside the unit went bad and had to be replaced. If it is that, there is no quick fix unless you can find an AC guy with the exact part and who will come out on a weekend to switch them out.

My total bill was over $300 because of parts and labor. Also, my unit is pretty old but a real survivor so the part was a bit harder to find and it was a refurbished one.

Yeah, this one's pretty old, too. I can't find the manual, so I don't know where the reset button is. If it's under the cover of the unit, that's going to be a problem b/c I don't have the tools to get it off. Like I said, I don't know diddly about these things.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: June 07, 2008, 03:14:54 PM »
Blown capacitor.

Don't ask me what a capacitor is, but whenever something in my AC unit quits working, it's always a blown capacitor.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #4: June 07, 2008, 11:56:21 PM »
Blown capacitor.

Don't ask me what a capacitor is, but whenever something in my AC unit quits working, it's always a blown capacitor.

That's been my experience too.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #5: June 08, 2008, 12:00:21 AM »
Thanks for all the help. It definitely could be the capacitor. I tried just about everything I could to fix it today.

Offline blue911

« Reply #6: June 08, 2008, 10:22:52 AM »
Blown capacitor.

I thought your wife brought you ice & beer when you had to do without.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: June 08, 2008, 07:00:14 PM »
I thought your wife brought you ice & beer when you had to do without.

Right, her job is to make sure plenty of ice and beer is available during the hour of need.  My job is to find somebody to replace a capacitor.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #8: June 08, 2008, 10:21:43 PM »
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need"

--Karl Marx, 1875

Right, her job is to make sure plenty of ice and beer is available during the hour of need.  My job is to find somebody to replace a capacitor.

• babble on
« Reply #9: June 08, 2008, 10:24:33 PM »
I would have guessed a shot compressor, but my house is old school with a window unit in the bedroom, and portable R2D2 looking things on the first floor and down in the basement.  Damn, hope it works out (FWIW, the weather should ease up a bit by Wednesday).

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #10: June 08, 2008, 10:26:17 PM »
Blown capacitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor

Stores electrical energy by building up charge. That's how a camera flash works too.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/capacitor2.htm

Or your turn signals:
http://www.vespamaintenance.com/elec/signal/index.html

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #11: June 09, 2008, 10:47:23 AM »

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need"  --Karl Marx, 1875

"Man serves the interests of no creature except himself. And among us animals let there be perfect unity, perfect comradeship in the struggle. All men are enemies. All animals are comrades...  The vote was taken at once, and it was agreed by an overwhelming majority that rats were comrades. There were only four dissentients, the three dogs and the cat, who was afterwards discovered to have voted on both sides.

No animal must ever live in a house or sleep in a bed, or wear clothes, or drink alcohol, or smoke tobacco, or touch money, or engage in trade... But to justify this little episode, arrangements to amend the rules are made.  "No animal shall drink alcohol to excess." --George Orwell, Animal Farm (1945)

• babble on
« Reply #12: June 09, 2008, 11:09:15 PM »
The cat and Snowball were drinkin' buddies, but the cat didn't get no icepick
"Man serves the interests of no creature except himself. And among us animals let there be perfect unity, perfect comradeship in the struggle. All men are enemies. All animals are comrades...  The vote was taken at once, and it was agreed by an overwhelming majority that rats were comrades. There were only four dissentients, the three dogs and the cat, who was afterwards discovered to have voted on both sides.
(Image removed from quote.)
No animal must ever live in a house or sleep in a bed, or wear clothes, or drink alcohol, or smoke tobacco, or touch money, or engage in trade... But to justify this little episode, arrangements to amend the rules are made.  "No animal shall drink alcohol to excess." --George Orwell, Animal Farm (1945)
(Image removed from quote.)

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #13: June 09, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
It ended up just being a blown fuse. Didn't get it "fixed" until this afternoon. I think I lost about 7 pounds over the weekend. Fun times. :?

Offline kimnat

« Reply #14: June 10, 2008, 10:17:45 AM »
Awww  geez!!  That's a terrible time to go w/o!

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: June 10, 2008, 11:18:38 AM »
It ended up just being a blown fuse. Didn't get it "fixed" until this afternoon. I think I lost about 7 pounds over the weekend. Fun times. :?

Did you notice how Tom went without power,yet had plenty of beer & ice? There is a lesson to be learned.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: June 10, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »
Did you notice how Tom went without power,yet had plenty of beer & ice? There is a lesson to be learned.

I'm normally not much of a planner, but you've got to have a contingency plan for handling life or death situations like what we faced last week.