Author Topic: 08-09 NCAA B-Ball Thread  (Read 97844 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: 08-09 NCAA B-Ball Thread
« Reply #150: January 14, 2009, 11:22:29 PM »
way to go terps. miami is the better team so i didnt think we win but god it is frustrating

:-[

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #151: January 14, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
Maryland blows a 12 point half-time lead and falls to the Canes 62-60. :rofl:

Congrats on your big win over William and Mary.   :roll:  What's next, Mary Washington?   Shenandoah?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #152: January 14, 2009, 11:38:51 PM »
Congrats on your big win over William and Mary.   :roll:  What's next, Mary Washington?   Shenandoah?
We face JMU at home on Saturday which should be a win and then we face two very tough teams that would probably beat Maryland (Northeastern and VCU).

How many votes did Maryland get in the last AP poll? None. GMU received 2 Top 25 votes. GMU is the better team, no question. Too bad Gary Williams is a scared nag and will not agree to play GMU on a yearly basis.

The CAA is a very competitive conference despite what you may think.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #153: January 15, 2009, 08:15:55 AM »

:rofl: By 4 points, and he was deriding a 14pt win by PSU in their season opener that they treated as a warmup game, basically.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #154: January 15, 2009, 09:31:59 AM »
How many votes did Maryland get in the last AP poll? None. GMU received 2 Top 25 votes. GMU is the better team, no question. Too bad Gary Williams is a scared nag and will not agree to play GMU on a yearly basis.

The CAA is a very competitive conference despite what you may think.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth with you on this.  You bash Maryland every chance you get, must be some sort of psychological inferiority complex going.  Get over it.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #155: January 15, 2009, 10:10:12 AM »
I'm not going to get into a back and forth with you on this.  You bash Maryland every chance you get, must be some sort of psychological inferiority complex going.  Get over it.
It has to do with Gary Williams more than Maryland.
He bashed Mason bad when they got in the big dance in 2006. He was so pissed that he basically rolled over for Manhattan in the NIT.

He also refuses to play Mason.
You might badmouth the CAA, but it isn't their fault that the big boys refuse to play them. A lot of them look for softball OOC opponents, and the CAA doesn't fit that mold. Mid-Majors suffer from this in general.

I think Mason could take Maryland this season. I could be wrong, but only one way to find out.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #156: January 15, 2009, 10:13:36 AM »
:rofl: By 4 points, and he was deriding a 14pt win by PSU in their season opener that they treated as a warmup game, basically.
That was at PSU. It is much harder to play on the road, than at home.
You can't deny the fact that Mason for the first time in school history has opened up 6-0 in conference play.
This is also tied for the best record through 16 games. This season was supposed to be a rebuilding year. The future is extremely bright, with the best recruits in history soon to come in.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #157: January 15, 2009, 10:38:51 AM »
how many national titles does mason have?  oh wait sorry.  8)  (i had to)

maryland had the big lead last night and just didn't execute.  they got conservative and sluggish, it's that simple.  i was surprised they went ahead by that much.  now time to focus on fsu.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #158: January 15, 2009, 02:39:22 PM »
how many national titles does mason have?  oh wait sorry.  8)  (i had to)

maryland had the big lead last night and just didn't execute.  they got conservative and sluggish, it's that simple.  i was surprised they went ahead by that much.  now time to focus on fsu.
How many big dance appearances has Maryland had since 2004? 1
How many big dance appearances has Mason had since 2004? 2
Mason has been to the big dance 4 times in 10 years. The Mason of old is not the same as the Mason under Jim Larranaga.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #159: January 15, 2009, 02:56:22 PM »
gmu will never be anything more than a mid major - no matter how many tournament appearances they have -- that's the reality -- measuring your manhood against a Maryland team that's currently middling at best right now does not enhance your argument  -- when gmu becomes second all time in wins in the last decade in the toughest basketball conference year in and year out, has 11 consecutive tournament appearances, two final fours and a national championship -- then they can talk - until then -- gmu is a mid major

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #160: January 15, 2009, 03:40:58 PM »
gmu will never be anything more than a mid major - no matter how many tournament appearances they have -- that's the reality -- measuring your manhood against a Maryland team that's currently middling at best right now does not enhance your argument  -- when gmu becomes second all time in wins in the last decade in the toughest basketball conference year in and year out, has 11 consecutive tournament appearances, two final fours and a national championship -- then they can talk - until then -- gmu is a mid major
And Maryland sucks balls. please, why is Gary Williams so afraid to schedule GMU if we are a lowly mid major?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #161: January 15, 2009, 03:48:36 PM »
I like Mason and am a huge Larranaga fan.  But I won't sit back and accept people bashing Maryland.  Yeah we've gone in a rut.  We do have two final four appearances and a natty title this decade.  Mason has one FF.  Mason went to the tourney last year, MD didn't.  The season before that, it was reversed. 

Who's to say we aren't going to the tournament this year? 

I don't know why everything on message boards always has to be a competition?  Like laughing at a MD loss, etc.  I'm not a VT fan, but I'm not going to post a VT sucks balls thread. 

And the last couple times MD has faced Mason, MD has won.  From what I have heard, Larranaga and Gary are friends.  I hope both teams get in. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #162: January 15, 2009, 03:49:15 PM »
please, why is Gary Williams so afraid to schedule GMU if we are a lowly mid major?

None of the local teams schedule each other. In Philly they have the Big-5 tournament every year. I think DC could handle a Big-4 tournament (GW,GU,MD & GMU) around the winter holidays. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #163: January 15, 2009, 03:53:54 PM »
None of the local teams schedule each other. In Philly they have the Big-5 tournament every year. I think DC could handle a Big-4 tournament (GW,GU,MD & GMU) around the winter holidays. 
GMU and George Washington have reached an agreement to play for the next two seasons.

Finally, some local rivalry games. I have always thought it was ridiculous that there are never any good local games between all the great college teams in our area (Maryland, Georgetown, GW, even American). This is from the Washington Post:

"George Mason has a tentative agreement to play at George Washington next season and host the Colonials in 2010-11, Patriots Athletic Director Tom O'Connor said. The teams have met only 10 times, most recently in 1998."

This a great step in the right direction to hopefully getting more local rivalry games in the future. Gary Williams won't be bringing his Terps to the Patriot Center any time soon but hopefully we are moving closer to that day.
:?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #164: January 15, 2009, 03:56:06 PM »

Terps have already played Georgetown, GW and American this year.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #165: January 15, 2009, 03:59:59 PM »
I like Mason and am a huge Larranaga fan.  But I won't sit back and accept people bashing Maryland.  Yeah we've gone in a rut.  We do have two final four appearances and a natty title this decade.  Mason has one FF.  Mason went to the tourney last year, MD didn't.  The season before that, it was reversed. 

Who's to say we aren't going to the tournament this year? 

I don't know why everything on message boards always has to be a competition?  Like laughing at a MD loss, etc.  I'm not a VT fan, but I'm not going to post a VT sucks balls thread. 

And the last couple times MD has faced Mason, MD has won.  From what I have heard, Larranaga and Gary are friends.  I hope both teams get in. 
It's garbage like what WPA posted above that makes me hate Maryland. We get them shoved down our throats in the local media like they are our team or something. I live in Northern Virginia. Why would I root for Maryland? I've never liked Maryland even before I got into GMU a few years ago. Back then I rooted for UVA. Just could not stand the Maryland hoopla and madness over nothing.

Offline blue911

« Reply #166: January 15, 2009, 04:00:34 PM »
Terps have already played Georgetown, GW and American this year.

Really? Shows how much I follow hoops. :-[

I just think a holiday tournament would stop all the "ducking" talk.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #167: January 15, 2009, 05:03:41 PM »
That was at PSU. It is much harder to play on the road, than at home.
You can't deny the fact that Mason for the first time in school history has opened up 6-0 in conference play.
This is also tied for the best record through 16 games. This season was supposed to be a rebuilding year. The future is extremely bright, with the best recruits in history soon to come in.

Haven't followed them in weeks, but PSU was off to a hot start and would give Mason a challenge. I do know I saw William and Mary play and they were BAD.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #168: January 15, 2009, 05:06:46 PM »
Haven't followed them in weeks, but PSU was off to a hot start and would give Mason a challenge. I do know I saw William and Mary play and they were BAD.
PSU has lost 3 of their last 4 games and are currently 7th out of 11 teams in the Big 10. They're an improved team but still not NCAA Tournament-worthy.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #169: January 15, 2009, 05:09:02 PM »
PSU has lost 3 of their last 4 games and are currently 7th out of 11 teams in the Big 10. They're an improved team but still not NCAA Tournament-worthy.

Damn. They started out like 12-2. Of course they beat Bucknell and NJ Tech :rofl: They can't hang with the big boys in the Big 10, but they are a fun team.

I bet they would match up well with Mason.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #170: January 15, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »
I root for all of the local teams equally. VCU and GMU could definitely compete w/ any of the "big dogs" in the area.

ND would beat all of 'em. :D 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #171: January 15, 2009, 05:15:08 PM »
I root for all of the local teams equally. VCU and GMU could definitely compete w/ any of the "big dogs" on the area.

ND could beat any of 'em. :D 

Oh I like GMU just fine. Glad when they have success. But sportsfans' inflation of GMU's prowess with a lame win over W&M is hilarious.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #172: January 15, 2009, 05:17:31 PM »
Oh I like GMU just fine. Glad when they have success. But sportsfans' inflation of GMU's prowess with a lame win over W&M is hilarious.
It was on the road too. W&M was in the CAA Championship game last year (GMU beat them). Not a huge win but a conference road win is a conference road win.

Our games next week against Northeastern and VCU are going to be sick.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #173: January 15, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »

I don't mind that he thinks his team is great, but the way he talks crap about other teams just b/c they have fans on this board is ridiculous.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #174: January 15, 2009, 05:19:47 PM »
I don't mind that he thinks his team is great, but the way he talks crap about other teams just b/c they have fans on this board is ridiculous.
It has nothing to do with people on here being fans of those teams. I have long hated Maryland and Notre Dame ever since I can remember.