Author Topic: Nationals @ Orioles, Game 2  (Read 16717 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Nationals @ Orioles, Game 2
« Reply #400: May 17, 2008, 10:07:49 PM »
These last 2 games have been 2 of the most boring and disappointing games of the season.

Not to me.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #401: May 17, 2008, 10:11:23 PM »
Not to me.
Whatever. You aren't concerned with winning as much as most. 

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #402: May 17, 2008, 10:14:16 PM »
positive: the best young player in baseball has 3 homers in 6 games!  :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

my end of the season predictions for r.z.: .276 average 31 homers 98 rbi 95 runs

and his first gold glove. he's gonna have such a sensational season with the glove that they'll have no choice but to take notice and award him the gold glove.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #403: May 17, 2008, 10:20:49 PM »
Whatever. You aren't concerned with winning as much as most. 

That's actually kind of true. I want this team to get better, but expecting a winning team w/ this roster is pretty ridiculous, IMO. Asking for a .500 team is not asking for a winning team. That's exactly what most asked for, which means most knew not to expect more wins than losses this season.

We just think differently on the matter. There's no problem w/ that, but it'd be better if you didn't assume that I don't WANT this team to win. I think most here know that I do want them to win. If they don't, freak 'em.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #404: May 17, 2008, 10:26:59 PM »
That's actually kind of true. I want this team to get better, but expecting a winning team w/ this roster is pretty ridiculous, IMO. Asking for a .500 team is not asking for a winning team. That's exactly what most asked for, which means most knew not to expect more wins than losses this season.

We just think differently on the matter. There's no problem w/ that, but it'd be better if you didn't assume that I don't WANT this team to win. I think most here know that I do want them to win. If they don't, freak 'em.
You just remind me a little of the front office and management.  Satisfied with losing and playing the same sorry baseball everyday.

You don't see the Orioles, Marlins, Royals, Pirates and other teams rolling over like we do. They were all supposed to finish with records well below .500.  The Marlins and O's are well above .500 and the Bucs and Royals are hovering right around the .500 mark.  Just because you aren't predicted to do well doesn't mean you should give in to those predictions and just accept losing baseball. 

Winning is Everything. I could care less what the expectations are or were. 

You'd think this team would do every thing in it's control to try to stay within 5 games under .500 because they are very, very close to reaching the point of no return. Once we get to 10 games under .500 it's lights out to the season.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #405: May 17, 2008, 10:34:20 PM »
Winning is Everything. I could care less what the expectations are or were. 

You'd think this team would do every thing in it's control to try to stay within 5 games under .500 because they are very, very close to reaching the point of no return. Once we get to 10 games under .500 it's lights out to the season.

You're wrong here. If you have a team full of vets and overpaid players like the Yankees, then yes, winning is everything. But when you have a team full of young players, there's more to it than just winning. It's mostly one big thing actually: DEVELOPMENT. If you don't have patience with a team like this, then you don't understand what it takes. That HAS to be the mindset of the FO, or else they'd be making moves after every game.

I do think like a GM sometimes, but that doesn't mean I agree with the moves/non-moves the Nats have made. I think I've made that pretty clear.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #406: May 17, 2008, 10:40:09 PM »
You still didn't address the teams I talked about. The Bucs, Royals, Marlins, O's, and others were predicted to be worse than us this year. Yet they are developing while winning at the same time.

Losing is too acceptable with this team (Not referring to you). The players, coaches, and management have given into the fact that they are a bunch of losers. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #407: May 17, 2008, 10:51:41 PM »
You still didn't address the teams I talked about. The Bucs, Royals, Marlins, O's, and others were predicted to be worse than us this year. Yet they are developing while winning at the same time.

Losing is too acceptable with this team (Not referring to you). The players, coaches, and management have given into the fact that they are a bunch of losers. 

Those four teams that you mentioned are playing out of their brains right now. There are always one or two that'll do that. Hell, we did it a few years ago. Timely hitting and solid pitching does wonders. Do you really believe that more than one of those teams, if any, are going to maintain their winning ways and make the playoffs?

Another thing to remember is that our farm system is not full of ML-ready prospects of any kind. We don't have guys that are waiting for that call up right now. I laugh when people mention Langerhans because he is the definition of a guy that can't do it at the ML level (though I hope he does if he gets the call). We just don't have organizational depth right now. That's not good, but it does make me feel better that it won't stay that way.

One last thing. It's still too early in the season to really know where ANY team is going to end up. There are only two predictions that I'm pretty sure about: 1) Arizona will make the playoffs and 2) The Yankees will go on one of those runs that they ALWAYS do at some point in the season.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #408: May 17, 2008, 10:56:44 PM »
I'd take Langerhans and his .300+ AVG and his .400+ OBP over any one of our starting OFers. Even Escobar is hitting over .300.  Max and Daniel are two of JB's favorites and I'd have to think we'll see them in another couple of weeks. 

We have plenty of decent starting pitching in the Minors. I'd call up Mock or Balester to replace Perez. 

MrMadison

« Reply #409: May 17, 2008, 11:01:22 PM »
I'd take Langerhans and his .300+ AVG and his .400+ OBP over any one of our starting OFers. 

until his first game back in the majors where he goes 0-4.  then you'll be ready to send him right back.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #410: May 17, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
I'd take Langerhans and his .300+ AVG and his .400+ OBP over any one of our starting OFers. Even Escobar is hitting over .300.  Max and Daniel are two of JB's favorites and I'd have to think we'll see them in another couple of weeks. 

We have plenty of decent starting pitching in the Minors. I'd call up Mock or Balester to replace Perez. 

Maxwell wouldn't be a bad choice, but Daniel needs to prove he can hit like he is right now at a higher level in the minors.

No way would I take Perez out of the rotation right now. Mock and Balester wouldn't be upgrades. Perez has 4 quality starts to this point, and it would probably be 6 if they had left him in on OD (where he had only thrown 70 pitches through 5) and if they had left him in for one more out in another game. He gives us a chance to win most of the time. That's all we can ask for out of any of these guys.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #411: May 17, 2008, 11:36:01 PM »
Maxwell wouldn't be a bad choice, but Daniel needs to prove he can hit like he is right now at a higher level in the minors.

No way would I take Perez out of the rotation right now. Mock and Balester wouldn't be upgrades. Perez has 4 quality starts to this point, and it would probably be 6 if they had left him in on OD (where he had only thrown 70 pitches through 5) and if they had left him in for one more out in another game. He gives us a chance to win most of the time. That's all we can ask for out of any of these guys.
Don't be fooled by Perez' "hot start". He is what he is.  His ERA is just now starting to approach his norm.  It'll be up to 6 in no time.  The sooner we get rid of him the better. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #412: May 17, 2008, 11:43:48 PM »
Don't be fooled by Perez' "hot start". He is what he is.  His ERA is just now starting to approach his norm.  It'll be up to 6 in no time.  The sooner we get rid of him the better. 

You're guessing. You probably guessed that he would fail in all of his good starts as well. My point is that you can't take him out of the rotation because he had a bad outing. He was VERY off today. Up to this point, he's shown that he's normally not off like that. If he continues to struggle, then you make a move. But you don't make that move until you've let him try and redeem himself. If he reaches a point where he's pitching poorly the majority of the time, then he doesn't belong here. That is not the case right now.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #413: May 17, 2008, 11:46:54 PM »
You're guessing. You probably guessed that he would fail in all of his good starts as well. My point is that you can't take him out of the rotation because he had a bad outing. He was VERY off today. Up to this point, he's shown that he's normally not off like that. If he continues to struggle, then you make a move. But you don't make that move until you've let him try and redeem himself. If he reaches a point where he's pitching poorly the majority of the time, then he doesn't belong here. That is not the case right now.
You're right. I forgot that winning is not of the essence to this organization. We can afford to lose in the meantime while Perez continues to falter.  I hope he throws a quality start in every outing but I just don't see it.  He hasn't had an ERA under 5 in years. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #414: May 18, 2008, 12:00:34 AM »
You're right. I forgot that winning is not of the essence to this organization. We can afford to lose in the meantime while Perez continues to falter.  I hope he throws a quality start in every outing but I just don't see it.  He hasn't had an ERA under 5 in years. 

He also only had 8 quality starts all of last season and is already halfway there (should be even closer than that) at the quarter point this year. His arm is obviously better than it had been the last few years. You're acting like he's pitched poorly 3 or 4 games in a row or something. That's not the case at all.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #415: May 18, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
i just hope that one morning, i will wake up, go to nationals.com, and the headline will read: austins kearns traded.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #416: May 18, 2008, 12:07:55 AM »
i just hope that one morning, i will wake up, go to nationals.com, and the headline will read: austins kearns traded.
I don't think that will happen because no one wants him but you could wake up one morning to find out that he has been benched permanently though. Bowden said that if players are under-performing come June that he will not hesitate to make moves (i.e. call up Maxwell from AA).

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #417: May 18, 2008, 12:42:31 AM »
Those four teams that you mentioned are playing out of their brains right now. There are always one or two that'll do that. Hell, we did it a few years ago. Timely hitting and solid pitching does wonders. Do you really believe that more than one of those teams, if any, are going to maintain their winning ways and make the playoffs?

Another thing to remember is that our farm system is not full of ML-ready prospects of any kind. We don't have guys that are waiting for that call up right now. I laugh when people mention Langerhans because he is the definition of a guy that can't do it at the ML level (though I hope he does if he gets the call). We just don't have organizational depth right now. That's not good, but it does make me feel better that it won't stay that way.

One last thing. It's still too early in the season to really know where ANY team is going to end up. There are only two predictions that I'm pretty sure about: 1) Arizona will make the playoffs and 2) The Yankees will go on one of those runs that they ALWAYS do at some point in the season.

Actually, I can easily see Tampa Bay making the playoffs.

« Reply #418: May 18, 2008, 04:28:59 AM »

Hey, that's funny. I hope that one morning I will wake up, go to www.wnff.net, and under your name will read: banned.

« Reply #419: May 18, 2008, 04:32:50 AM »
Bowden said that if players are under-performing come June that he will not hesitate to make moves.

This is why we are perpetual cellar dwellers every season. If something is completely wrong we wait two months into the season to even begin to fix it. Why is there this fear of changing it up when it is obviously broken?