Author Topic: Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP  (Read 5151 times)

Nats Bruin

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Topic Start: October 01, 2006, 09:39:07 AM »
Blah-Blah article on Capital owner Ted Leonsis in Washington Post this morning. Nothing new in the article that we haven't already heard.
Why does the media focus on ownership in this town? How about
feature articles on THE TEAM(S)? Sports talk radio (WTEM, ESPN Radio) interviews this guy WAY too much.

Serious Question: Can anybody tell us why Ted Leonsis is inducted in the Greater Washington "SPORTS" Alliance Hall of Champions?

:roll:  Teddy is a step above Honest Abe Pollin, but hardly a champion.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #1: October 01, 2006, 10:29:51 AM »
Abe has a championship, at least.

Plus Abe built MCI with his own money, and sparked a revitalization of the whole Chinatown area.  I think Abe gets far too little credit from DC as being a good corporate citizen.  Of course, he hasn't exactly won many championships lately....

Offline UMDNats

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #2: October 01, 2006, 03:48:53 PM »
What's your beef with Ted? He's one of the best fan-friendly owners and admits his mistakes when he makes them.
He's trying to get his team any coverage they can.

You aren't even a Caps fan, lay off him. He tries to help the team win and get media coverage. Would you rather not have him take questions?

nospinzone1

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #3: October 01, 2006, 07:52:18 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
What's your beef with Ted? He's one of the best fan-friendly owners and admits his mistakes when he makes them.

You aren't even a Caps fan, lay off him. He tries to help the team win and get media coverage. Would you rather not have him take questions?

RIGHT, BUT CAPS CANNOT COMPETE WITH THE MEAGER PAYROLL THAT TEDDY BOY HAS.

Nats Bruin

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #4: October 02, 2006, 07:45:16 AM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Abe has a championship, at least.

Plus Abe built MCI with his own money, and sparked a revitalization of the whole Chinatown area.  I think Abe gets far too little credit from DC as being a good corporate citizen.  Of course, he hasn't exactly won many championships lately....

I'll give a little credit to Pollin for the Chinatown area and the building. He is a terrible owner though. He didn't care about the Caps when he had them, and his "deal" with Leonsis where he contoll(ed) (he may or may not do it anymore) the club level seats was just ridiculous. He's also the owner that kept Unseld on longer than Rumsfeld when they BOTH should have been fired years ago.

He's not going to win championships anytime soon with his "plan".

Nats Bruin

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #5: October 02, 2006, 07:50:10 AM »

My beef (as a former season ticket holder, and don't tell me who I'm a fan of) with the round mound of verizon is he's a fraud. He lied to the fans prior to the lockout, and then CHANGED THE PLAN for the organization. A-HEM...now we're on 5-year plan #2. He's charging fans NHL prices to watch an AHL team. Even season ticket holders with a discount off the gate price pay BIG $$$ to watch ONE GUY.

He's NOT one of the best owners, he's one of the most fan accessible owners. I see nobody can figure out why he's in the Greater Washington "SPORTS" Alliance Hall of Champions either.
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline UMDNats

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #6: October 02, 2006, 05:07:28 PM »
So, what you're saying is, you're a Bruins fan, who was a Caps season ticket holder? Well, I can see you're an avid Bruins fan (Happy Birthday Phil Kessel"), so are you REALLY a Caps fan now?

How did he lie to the fans? From what I recall, he tried to make the team a winner and FAILED. He failed. And he admits it. What's wrong with changing the plan? The first one didn't work so he's trying a better route.

And regarding the ticket prices - of course they're high. What do you want him to do? Not make any money? It's business. He wants to make money, and he's trying to cut his losses.

I said "He is one of the best fan-friendly ownerrs"
I didn't mean he's one of the best owners, I meant he's one of the best/most fan-friendly guy there is. He listens to the fans and will address them if they have concerns as best he can.

And the Caps are more than 1 guy. That's how I know you aren't a fan of them. Any Caps fan can see they're pretty entertaining, even when they lose, because they have guys like Semin, Zednik, Clark, Bradley, Brashear, etc. Not to mention AO. I ALWAYS feel like I got my money's worth when I go to a game.

Offline UMDNats

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #7: October 02, 2006, 05:09:18 PM »
Quote from: "nospinzone1"

RIGHT, BUT CAPS CANNOT COMPETE WITH THE MEAGER PAYROLL THAT TEDDY BOY HAS.

Actually, yes, they can. At least I think so. They competed in almost every single game last year, and with their few additions (all look like good ones), I think they could finish close to a playoff spot.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #8: October 02, 2006, 07:15:31 PM »
Quote from: "Nats Bruin"
He lied to the fans prior to the lockout, and then CHANGED THE PLAN for the organization. A-HEM...now we're on 5-year plan #2. He's charging fans NHL prices to watch an AHL team. Even season ticket holders with a discount off the gate price pay BIG $$$ to watch ONE GUY.
He dumped the roster because of the strike...not the other way around.  Prior to that he was doing exactly what Nat fans are crying for with Alfonso Soriano - paying too much for  what players are actually worth (although this was because of the player agreement...not so much of his own doing).

Offline UMDNats

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #9: October 02, 2006, 08:10:18 PM »
Some of the fans of sports teams make me crazy. They act like every winning team should have a high payroll and that the owner should spend a lot of money to help the team. In my mind, if they owner has a plan, and is willing to stick to that plan (like Ted is), then I don't see the problem.

At least I won't be let down ever by underachieving veterans (Jagr cough).

Nats Bruin

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #10: October 03, 2006, 07:59:32 AM »
"So, what you're saying is, you're a Bruins fan, who was a Caps season ticket holder? Well, I can see you're an avid Bruins fan (Happy Birthday Phil Kessel"), so are you REALLY a Caps fan now?"

I am a Bruins fan and a Caps fan. I've was born and bred a Bruins fan and have been a Caps fan since the mid 80's when I moved down there.

"How did he lie to the fans? From what I recall, he tried to make the team a winner and FAILED. He failed. And he admits it. What's wrong with changing the plan? The first one didn't work so he's trying a better route."

Prior to the lockout, Steady Teddy's "excuse" of getting rid of players was to free up $$$ so when the games resumed the Caps would be active in the FA market. He admits he made a mistake with Jagr, he hasn't admitted he lied about the lockout. Now he has an AHL team and a face of the franchise. Thats good.....but I'm sick of the "we're tough to play against" philosophy. Ted and the boys should call around the NHL more, to the upper echelon teams, the Caps aren't a threat, and thats SAD because if thats THE PLAN.....it isn't happening right now.

"And regarding the ticket prices - of course they're high. What do you want him to do? Not make any money? It's business. He wants to make money, and he's trying to cut his losses."

Thats just the thing. Tickets don't match the product on the ice. He's not going to make any money and we'll see if he's willing to KEEP Ovechkin when the time comes, since he won't spend $$$ for anybody to help him.

"And the Caps are more than 1 guy. That's how I know you aren't a fan of them. Any Caps fan can see they're pretty entertaining, even when they lose, because they have guys like Semin, Zednik, Clark, Bradley, Brashear, etc. Not to mention AO. I ALWAYS feel like I got my money's worth when I go to a game"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: I'm glad you're enjoying the AHL product, thats fine.
Pretty entertaining? Have you watched any of the other teams? You know, the teams that hit the ice every night with a chance to win? Again, don't tell me who I'm a fan of. If I wasn't a fan, why would I care about Teddy Fraud-onsis?

Nats Bruin

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #11: October 03, 2006, 08:01:23 AM »
"They competed in almost every single game last year, and with their few additions (all look like good ones), I think they could finish close to a playoff spot.

:lol:  :lol:  "we're tough to play against, and we play hard everynight
 :roll:

Waitress will you refill this mans KOOL-AID?

Nats Bruin

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #12: October 03, 2006, 08:03:11 AM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
Quote from: "Nats Bruin"
He lied to the fans prior to the lockout, and then CHANGED THE PLAN for the organization. A-HEM...now we're on 5-year plan #2. He's charging fans NHL prices to watch an AHL team. Even season ticket holders with a discount off the gate price pay BIG $$$ to watch ONE GUY.
He dumped the roster because of the strike...not the other way around.  Prior to that he was doing exactly what Nat fans are crying for with Alfonso Soriano - paying too much for  what players are actually worth (although this was because of the player agreement...not so much of his own doing).

Ted Fraud-onsis dumped salary PRIOR to the lockout with the plan to become active in the FA market when the games resumed. You know, sign players that the fans would want to come out and pay money to see?

Nats Bruin

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #13: October 03, 2006, 08:08:26 AM »
Some of the fans of sports teams make me crazy. They act like every winning team should have a high payroll and that the owner should spend a lot of money to help the team. In my mind, if they owner has a plan, and is willing to stick to that plan (like Ted is), then I don't see the problem.

At least I won't be let down ever by underachieving veterans (Jagr cough).

As a Caps fan, I'm OVER the Jagr thing. I suggest.....

This owner has a plan to build from within. Now the first thing thats wrong with that, is his scouting staff and talent evaluation people. Have a clue why Ross Mahoney still has a job? Go to sleep with a list of draft picks (prior to Ovechkin) this organization has come up with and you'll SPILL your cool-aid. The Ovechkin pick could have been made by Stevie Wonder so I give them no credit for that one. We sucked and we reaped the reward. Now lets see what they do to surround this guy with the talent he needs.

Ovechkin is a great offensive player. Now, can you name me ONE defenseman on this team that BELONGS @ the NHL level? Because we have too many teams in the NHL, these guys have jobs.

NatsCaps19

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #14: October 03, 2006, 10:56:43 AM »
please people don't feed this troll

i can't believe he hasn't been banned yet

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #15: October 03, 2006, 11:32:04 AM »
Quote from: "NatsCaps19"

He may or may not be the guy that I banned several times before, but regardless he's been behaving.  Disagreeing with other Caps fans is not grounds for being banned.  If and when he steps over the line, I will deal with it appropriately.

Nats Bruin

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #16: October 03, 2006, 11:50:40 AM »
Quote from: "The Chief"

He may or may not be the guy that I banned several times before, but regardless he's been behaving.  Disagreeing with other Caps fans is not grounds for being banned.  If and when he steps over the line, I will deal with it appropriately.

:clap:
Thanks chief, never been banned but appreciate the subtle warning.
Question: Do cute nick-names (troll) show grounds for being banned?

Nats Bruin

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #17: October 03, 2006, 11:52:32 AM »
please people don't feed this troll

Caps fan are ya? Can you tell me about our defenseman
and how they have jobs?
 :lol:

Offline The Chief

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #18: October 03, 2006, 01:09:22 PM »
I'm not banning anyone right now but I would appreciate it if you guys could set aside your differences and let everyone enjoy your lively debates without the insinuations or personal insults.  Maybe you guys have a histor and maybe you don't, but if you can't participate in threads with each other in a civil manner, it's going to end up in threads being locked.

So in short, please try to get along and debate in a civilized manner ;)

Nats Bruin

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #19: October 03, 2006, 01:20:11 PM »
I'm not banning anyone right now but I would appreciate it if you guys could set aside your differences and let everyone enjoy your lively debates without the insinuations or personal insults.  Maybe you guys have a histor and maybe you don't, but if you can't participate in threads with each other in a civil manner, it's going to end up in threads being locked.

My choir robe is BLUE my brother (from another mother)

I don't have differences with ANYBODY. I've never insinuated or insulted ANYBODY. Just laugh when somebody doesn't agree with me, the cute little pet names come out. On many boards those kinds of attacks can be used toward suspension/bannimation. Just curious......

Offline UMDNats

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #20: October 03, 2006, 05:13:24 PM »

Me and Bruin have kept it pretty civil. :wink:

Offline The Chief

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #21: October 03, 2006, 05:55:02 PM »
Glad to hear it from both of you.  Thanks.

Offline UMDNats

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #22: October 03, 2006, 07:35:02 PM »
Bruin and I essentially agree, but we have our differences in how we think the Caps team/market/focus/etc is. Not a problem. He sent me a PM with an exceprt from his blog and I totally understand.

It's cool, I just think they're goin one way, and his belief is slightly different.

Nats Bruin

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #23: October 04, 2006, 10:31:26 AM »
I HEAR ya Nats!
Appreciate your input, this board is such a blessing over the Caps board which suffers from whine/cheese syndrome. If you aren't in "the click" over there you get called silly pet names.

There is nothing more I'd want than for the Caps to make the playoffs each and every year. If they improve this year and get in, GREAT. I don't want more Jagr experiments, but I want them to improve the product. So far, I haven't seen it.

The biggest question Washington is WILL THEY BE ABLE TO KEEP OVECHKIN AND ADD SUPPORT???

Offline bob2274

Teddy Bear Leonsis in WP
« Reply #24: October 07, 2006, 10:45:56 PM »
After trying (and failing) to contact anyone from the Nationals front office all summer, it sure is nice to see Ted and his e-mail address on the Caps website. I don't have anything to contact him about though. All of the games are on TV, I can get tickets from washingtoncaps.com without using Ticketmaster, and if I want to get really good tickets, there's a link to stubhub.com. I can't find too many other NHL teams who show all their games on TV either.