Author Topic: Nine year contract offer to Pujols from the Marlins  (Read 3909 times)

Offline ernie0326

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/16/report-albert-pujols-believed-to-have-nine-year-offer-on-the-table-from-the-marlins/

Have at it guys!

(Personally, I think that contract would be a HUGE burden on Miami after the first 4 or 5 years.  But, maybe that's just me)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/16/report-albert-pujols-believed-to-have-nine-year-offer-on-the-table-from-the-marlins/

Have at it guys!

(Personally, I think that contract would be a HUGE burden on Miami after the first 4 or 5 years.  But, maybe that's just me)

Coming off his career worst OPS (a still respectable .906), will be 32 next season and probably needs TJ already.

You'll be paying top $ for the downhill of his career, and the last few years could be really burdensome.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Yeah, with these overpaid aging stars the Marlins may win a couple World Series but it will be almost impossible for them to three peat. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
MarlinsDeSade approves.

Online HalfSmokes

I approve- the Marlins should have offered 10, but 9 is good enough.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Yeah, with these overpaid aging stars the Marlins may win a couple World Series but it will be almost impossible for them to three peat.

Sure, it worked for the Mets.

Oh, wait, I meant the Cubs.

Uh......

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Sure, it worked for the Mets.

Oh, wait, I meant the Cubs.

Uh......

You meant the Marlins, Tigers, and Red Sox

Offline Kevrock

nothiscrapagain.jpeg

Offline natspride

Have at it guys!

I can't criticize the Marlins.

Heck, we gave 126M to Jayson Werth.

Offline Ray D

Do you suppose that the Reyes and Pujols offers are independent? That if both of them accept then the Marlins will sign both? Or if one signs will they pull the other off the table?  I can't imagine that they have enough money for both.

Offline ernie0326

My gut feeling is that if the Cards give him a "reasonable" contract of 7 years $210 Million ($30 million/year) he's going to stay in St. Louis.   

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Do you suppose that the Reyes and Pujols offers are independent? That if both of them accept then the Marlins will sign both? Or if one signs will they pull the other off the table?  I can't imagine that they have enough money for both.

Samson already said they are not

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
powerboater nailed it

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
At some point you have to pull the trigger on some megadealz to win.  This all might be for show, but if the Marlins snag Reyes or Pujols and they're suddenly contenders does any of this armchair GMing matter?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
You meant the Marlins, Tigers, and Red Sox
Sox went downhill when they started giving out 5+ year contracts.  2004 had 2, Pedro and Manny, but those were given out when those guys were enterring their prime in their 20s.  2007 had 3, Manny (still on the same contract) and Dice-K.  I think those two teams only had one other 5 year contract, Drew in 2007. Tigers and Marlins did not go long on Pudge.  If you move for a guy in his 30s, and you are not the NYY, the palyoff teams seem to go short rather than old.

(by saying playoff teams, I lop out the Red Sox post 2009 :hang: )

Offline Kevrock

At some point you have to pull the trigger on some megadealz to win.  This all might be for show, but if the Marlins snag Reyes or Pujols and they're suddenly contenders does any of this armchair GMing matter?

Nope.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
They want sellouts for the new digs.

Offline UMDNats

their attendance will have a nice bump from 1,000 people to 2,000 people

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
their attendance will have a nice bump from 1,000 people to 2,000 people

:rofl:    That's 100%.

Offline TheCerebral1

Well it is surely an oddity to see the Marlins of all people ruthlessly aggressive during Loria's run of owning.  They've hardly been called spenders.  With a 90M offer to Jose Reyes and some sort of a "can you do better" 9 year offer to Pujols I am just shocked.  They reportedly have offers in to Madson (Not really any feedback) and Buehrle.  Color me shocked.

Offline hammondsnats

LOL @ us if the marlins add all these pieces.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Excellent...the evil plan is falling in place.  And with Papelbon bankrupting Philly we just need to find some way of sabotaging Atlanta.  The Mets will destroy themselves unassisted.

I approve- the Marlins should have offered 10, but 9 is good enough.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
I said this in the other thread, but with Loria people should treat these reports with the same cynacism they did reports of the Lerners pursuit of Teixeira. 

Sure, given the new stadium it's impossible to rule out that they might actually be sincere offers, but even if they make a huge deal(s) you can count on the fact that it doesn't represent any long term change in philosophy by the Marlins, just a snake owner maximizing revenue for the first 5 years in a new park. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I said this in the other thread, but with Loria people should treat these reports with the same cynacism they did reports of the Lerners pursuit of Teixeira. 

Sure, given the new stadium it's impossible to rule out that they might actually be sincere offers, but even if they make a huge deal(s) you can count on the fact that it doesn't represent any long term change in philosophy by the Marlins, just a snake owner maximizing revenue for the first 5 years in a new park. 

The ONLY reason to put some weight to it is that he's done this once before... and bought himself a championship. If he wants to, he's certainly got the resources to pull it off again.

Offline Ray D

The ONLY reason to put some weight to it is that he's done this once before... and bought himself a championship. If he wants to, he's certainly got the resources to pull it off again.

Yes but in those instances did he give long-term contracts?  Both times, after winning, he unloaded the expensive players.  He's not going to be able to do that with the contracts that are being rumored.