Author Topic: Just another reason for me to dislike Bonds  (Read 1978 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Just another reason for me to dislike Bonds
« Topic Start: September 21, 2005, 01:11:46 AM »
Quote from: "mlb.com"
Bonds saved his best, though, for a game that Alou won with a three-run, ninth-inning homer that pulled the Giants back within five games of the losing Padres in the National League West with only 12 left to play. He answered the jeers, signs and chants from some fans in the crowd of 32,403 with a soaring drive into the rarified air of the 44-year-old yard on East Capitol against his old friend and former teammate, Livan Hernandez.

After arriving at the plate, Bonds raised his arms to the sky with pointed fingers, as he does after every home run. He then brought one down to his lips as he glanced at a fan with a "shushing" motion.

Full article

What an arrogant jerk.  I wish him all the worst :roll:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Re: Just another reason for me to dislike Bonds
« Reply #1: September 21, 2005, 01:47:27 AM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
Quote from: "mlb.com"
Bonds saved his best, though, for a game that Alou won with a three-run, ninth-inning homer that pulled the Giants back within five games of the losing Padres in the National League West with only 12 left to play. He answered the jeers, signs and chants from some fans in the crowd of 32,403 with a soaring drive into the rarified air of the 44-year-old yard on East Capitol against his old friend and former teammate, Livan Hernandez.

After arriving at the plate, Bonds raised his arms to the sky with pointed fingers, as he does after every home run. He then brought one down to his lips as he glanced at a fan with a "shushing" motion.

Full article

What an arrogant jerk.  I wish him all the worst :roll:

Here Here...I'm right there with ya buddy.   :?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: September 21, 2005, 09:47:30 AM »
Are you kidding me?  You get booed. You can shove it back in everyones face.  Its a two way street.  

Disregarding the whoel steroid thing, of course. But that is a topic I go back and forth on

Offline The Chief

« Reply #3: September 21, 2005, 11:05:15 AM »
Well I think he's an arrogant jerk regardless, not solely because of the hushing gesture, which IMO is a very stupid thing to do in someone else's home stadium anyway.  All you have to do is watch how he stands in the batters box marvelling at himself after every home run he hits, then saunters halfway to first before he begins doing anything that could even be remotely considered running.

I don't remember when, I think last year or the year before, Roger Clemens told the press before a game with the Giants that he was going to plunk bonds in the arm because he thought it was ridiculous how they let Bonds wear so much body armor and crowd the hell out of the plate.  Clemens then proceeded to go out and plunk Bonds right in the arm just like he said he would.  BRAVO ROGER!!! :twisted:

Sorry but I just don't like Bonds and I never will.  I think it will be a crying shame if (when? :?) he overtakes the all-time HR record, because he is nowhere near the caliber of player that he would be supplanting for that record (Hank Aaron)

Scot

« Reply #4: September 21, 2005, 12:11:35 PM »
Bonds is already a far better player than Aaron. An inferior person, but a better player.

Scot.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #5: September 21, 2005, 01:48:36 PM »
Quote from: "Scot"
Bonds is already a far better player than Aaron. An inferior person, but a better player.

Scot.

That's what I meant.  Sorry about the incorrect wording.  IMO stats are not everything.  Great accomplishment WITH great humility scores big on my list.  Bonds can hit ten thousand homeruns and I still will not consider him the best man ever to play the game, or anywhere close to it.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #6: September 21, 2005, 06:30:22 PM »
Bonds is a royal arrogant SOB.  I was enjoying baseball without him this year.  Yeah Yeah...Hank Aaron chase notwithstanding.  Everybody with any common sense knows that he was using performance enhancers in the past.  Which makes his arrogance that much more distasteful.  If you look at my web blog...most every Hall of Famer had dignity and class.  I guess you could make an argument with Ty Cobb's legendary atitude, but at least Cobb made his career by eating his Wheaties and not by sticking a needle in his ass or popping Franken-pills.   :roll:

Scot

« Reply #7: September 21, 2005, 06:37:39 PM »
Many HOFs were raging bigots. A lot were drunks. A lot of them abused their wives. And a couple of them are admitted cheaters. Drug use? Yep, tons of that too, as the cocaine scandal of the '80s showed. steroids are only the most recent performance enhancing drug in baseball - players have been taking drugs to give them an edge for decades. Including Aaron, who reportedly popped amphetamines like they were going out of style (just like the vast majority of baseball players from the '60s onward have).

Admire those guys because they were great players, not because they were great people. Because most of them weren't.

Scot.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #8: September 21, 2005, 07:07:43 PM »
Many HOFs were raging bigots. A lot were drunks. A lot of them abused their wives. And a couple of them are admitted cheaters. Drug use? Yep, tons of that too, as the cocaine scandal of the '80s showed. steroids are only the most recent performance enhancing drug in baseball - players have been taking drugs to give them an edge for decades. Including Aaron, who reportedly popped amphetamines like they were going out of style (just like the vast majority of baseball players from the '60s onward have).

Admire those guys because they were great players, not because they were great people. Because most of them weren't.

Scot.

I disagree.  Alot of Hall of Famers had their problems i.e. alcohol abuse, womanizing etc.  But most of them were not total pricks off the field like Bonds.  Most of them were the type of guys you'd love to sit next to in a sports bar.  Most people who sit next to Bonds would want to kick his ass after the first beer.  And what specific coke-head of the 80s are you referring to that made the Hall of Fame?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #9: September 21, 2005, 08:10:34 PM »
i want to punch Barry Bonds in the face.

Scot

« Reply #10: September 22, 2005, 08:46:37 AM »
I disagree. Alot of Hall of Famers had their problems i.e. alcohol abuse, womanizing etc. But most of them were not total pricks off the field like Bonds. Most of them were the type of guys you'd love to sit next to in a sports bar. Most people who sit next to Bonds would want to kick his ass after the first beer. And what specific coke-head of the 80s are you referring to that made the Hall of Fame?

From all the accounts that I've heard, Bonds is prickly with the media, but one-on-one he's not a bad guy. He apparently donates a lot of money to children's charities and the Negro League Museum, but doesn't make a big deal out of it. But the truth is that none of us know what Bonds is like off the field - positive or negative -  and we can't pretend that we do know.

Paul Molitor was one of the publicly acknowleded coke users from the 1980s who is in the HoF. Tim Raines will probably join him. A lot of people think Keith Hernandez belongs in the HoF. And I'm sure that for every guy who acknowledged using cocaine, there were a bunch more who used but weren't caught.

Scot.

Scot

« Reply #11: September 22, 2005, 01:49:01 PM »
Chief:

Kent has had problems in pretty much every clubhouse that he's been in. I don't think a confrontation with Kent really means much.

Scot.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #12: September 22, 2005, 03:01:18 PM »
Chief:

Kent has had problems in pretty much every clubhouse that he's been in. I don't think a confrontation with Kent really means much.

Scot.

Yeah and they were all jerks too :lol:

Seriously, I've read some articles about Kent.  I think he is misunderstood.  I'm not saying he doesn't act like a dick, but sometimes maybe he just comes across wrong too.  And you could be right about Bonds.  Maybe he is not such a bad guy one on one.  But that doesn't change the fact that he behaves arrogantly when he plays, and the fact that he juiced (and maybe still does?)