Author Topic: Andy Pettitte Pondering Retirement  (Read 2628 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Andy Pettitte Pondering Retirement
« Topic Start: November 01, 2006, 11:10:07 AM »
HOUSTON -- Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte said Tuesday they will file for free agency in the coming weeks but haven't decided whether they will return for the 2007 season.

The two pitchers participated in Clemens' annual charity golf tournament at Shadowhawk Golf Club in Sugar Land, Texas, on Tuesday. Both said they haven't made up their minds if they will play next season, let alone where.

Pettitte, 34, plans to take some more time off before making his decision.

"I know it's difficult maybe for people to understand," Pettitte said. "I'm just not sure if I want to play, so I'm just trying to take some time back. Obviously for me to feel that way, I have some serious burnout."

The left-hander has battled injuries in recent seasons. He was 14-13 with the Astros last season with a 4.20 ERA, including 8-4 with a 2.93 mark after the All-Star break.

"I know I'm young. I realize I'm young," Pettitte said. "Just right now, I don't know exactly what I want to do. I just need to take some good time away and I'm trying not to think about baseball. I didn't watch any of the playoffs. I'm just trying to spend time down at my ranch and spend time with my family, and in a couple of weeks I'll really try to bear down and [decide]."

Pettitte's comments surprised Clemens, but the seven-time Cy Young Award winner is equally uncertain about whether he will pitch again.

"I'd have to tell you I'm surprised about that with Andy," Clemens said. "I'm surprised a little bit. He's got a lot to give. He's still young. He's a competitor. It may or may not play into my decision, but I hope he plays. I have a lot of wishes for Andy. I want him to play here at home, because he's great and he can help this club win. I know he's had his ties to the Yankees, too. I'd love to see him knock down Whitey Ford's record as a left-hander."

Ford, a Hall of Famer, won 236 games in 16 seasons with the Yankees. Pettitte, 37-26 the last three seasons with Houston, won 149 games in nine seasons with the Yankees before joining the Astros. Pettitte's career record is 186-104.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #1: November 01, 2006, 02:08:57 PM »
I wonder if it has anything to do with Jason Grimsley's claim that he's a juicer?    :P

« Reply #2: November 01, 2006, 03:41:03 PM »
I thought no one was more attached at the hip than Soriano and his agent.

Apparently I was wrong.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #3: November 01, 2006, 04:38:14 PM »
Little bit of trivia: Andy Pettitte used to play for Potomac.  Back then it was called the Prince William Cannons and they were a New York Yankee affilliate.  This is actually where the cannon name eminated - as the logo was a civil war cannon (Yankees in civil war).

Prior to becoming the Cannons they were the Prince William Pirates - to which our favorite baseball player of all time Mr. Barry Bonds played.  That's right - Barry Bonds played part of his young career in Woodbridge, VA.  So stop hating him!  LOL.

http://www.potomaccannons.com/cgi-bin/dist/news.cgi?id=12

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: November 01, 2006, 05:26:41 PM »
Pujols played for Potomac, also.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #5: November 02, 2006, 04:55:03 AM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Pujols played for Potomac, also.
There's actually alot of players...but I didn't feel I should be posting all of them because they would have been off topic.  I figured I mention Bonds because everybody loves him so much.   :lol: