Author Topic: Jose Guillen vs. Anaheim Angels Rematch - April 20th  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Jose Guillen & The Seattle Mariners play Mike Sciosia's Angels on April 20th at Anaheim.  I will purchase the MLB_TV game just to watch this game.  Guillen says he has unfinished business with fat-slob Scioscia.  Any Nat fans who were around during the first season will remember the history behind this upcoming series (look-up "Donnely Pine Tar-Gate Game").

I hope angry man goes spastic.   :lol:

Offline Dave B

Jose Guillen & The Seattle Mariners play Mike Sciosia's Angels on April 20th at Anaheim.  I will purchase the MLB_TV game just to watch this game.  Guillen says he has unfinished business with fat-slob Scioscia.  Any Nat fans who were around during the first season will remember the history behind this upcoming series (look-up "Donnely Pine Tar-Gate Game").

(Image removed from quote.) 

I hope angry man goes spastic.   :lol:

Those were the days. That was about as good as it gets.  The whole stadium hating guillen and then he jacks one out.  I think Spivey had a big RBI in that game.

Then the Drese debut. 8 shutout innings. Nats win 1-0 after Cordero loads the bases then gets three outs. 

I wish guillen could have stayed healthy.  He was something else.  In that 1-0 game, i remember they held a guy at third on a single in the 9th because of guillens arm.  I thought is a for sure send him home situation.

Didnt he call scioscia a "piece of garbage"?  Then we had Angels trolls show up.

I do look for mariners games and tune in just to say "whats up". And to watch Vidro pop up to third and drop his head like he had a bag of bricks hanging from it.  I was working on my vidro impression the other day just in case someone wants to see it

You can buy a game at a time on MLB.TV? That is usefull

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
It appears some things never change under Mr. Kool-Aid...

=

I think we are establishing a pattern here and apparently cheating is a way of life in the Anaheim clubhouse under his leadership
.   :roll:

CHECK OUT THE LINK!  Hahahaha!  :lol:

:arrow: http://www.zumsteg.net/cheatersguide/2007/04/03/francisco-rodriguez-doctoring-the-ball/

K-Rod says he's not cheating, plays down smudge
ESPN.com news services
LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2827850

Los Angeles Angels reliever Francisco Rodriguez says he has nothing to hide in response to allegations he doctored baseballs during two games this week.

Photos on the Web site "The Cheater's Guide to Baseball Blog" appeared to show how Rodriguez, in two games against the Texas Rangers, habitually adjusted the brim of his hat before pitches -- and that there was a white substance visible under the brim.

Major League Baseball would not confirm if any complaints were filed by the Texas Rangers, who faced him twice during the Angels' season-opening three-game sweep. But the Dallas Morning News reported Thursday it had confirmed MLB was investigating.

But Rodriguez had an explanation, and showed reporters his hat before Thursday's game to prove he was innocent.

"It's from the rosin bag," Rodriguez said before Thursday game, according to the Los Angeles Times. "If that's illegal, why is there a rosin bag on the mound? You can come check me any time you want. I have nothing to hide."

"If somebody sees something on my hat, they're probably going to think I'm cheating. But I'm not, so I'm not worried about that," Rodriguez said. "They're looking at it in a bad way and trying to make something out of nothing.

"It's stupid -- it's rosin," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said, according to the Times. "You touch the rosin bag and adjust the brim of your cap, chances are you're going to get a white buildup there. That's what it is."

Rodriguez told the Times he is fidgeting with his hat more this season because he switched from wearing sports goggles to contact lenses.

"Before, I used to adjust my glasses a lot," Rodriguez said, according to the Times. "I just do that normally. I don't see it as any big deal. I don't get it. What do I have to do, not touch any part of my body? It's not like rosin is going to make me throw harder."

If evidence shows Rodriguez violated rule 8.02b by applying a foreign substance to the baseball, he could face a suspension of up to 10 games. And after last year's World Series, baseball is paying more attention to that rule. In Game 2 of last year's World Series, cameras showed a brown substance on Kenny Rogers' left (throwing) hand in the first inning, and St. Louis manager Tony La Russa brought it to the umpires' attention. Rogers' hand was clean when he came out for the second inning.

Rogers insisted then that mud, resin, spit and dirt was what everyone saw at the base of his left thumb -- not pine tar or anything else illegal.

In Febuary, baseball's playing rules committee approved changes that would eject and suspend players for intentionally defacing or discoloring a ball. Umpires have the discretion to issue only a warning if they determine a pitcher didn't intend to alter the characteristics of a pitch. Previously, such a pitch was called a ball, a warning was issued and the violation was announced.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Man, I love having MLB.TV Premium.  I hate to say it, but I'm looking forward to watching this game as much as the Nats game!

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Go Forth & Conquer Angry Man - We Wish You God Speed...

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Jose Guillen KICKS ASS!

Offline sportsfan882

What a great game that was.  I'll never forget laying on my bed watching the game on my laptop (mlb.tv) in the late hours of the night.  I believe Chief loaded the bases with no outs with a 1-0 lead in the 9th and then got 3 straight outs without giving up a run for the win.   

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
What a great game that was.  I'll never forget laying on my bed watching the game on my laptop (mlb.tv) in the late hours of the night.  I believe Chief loaded the bases with no outs with a 1-0 lead in the 9th and then got 3 straight outs without giving up a run for the win.   
correct you are...and I remember he stumbled or something like that, almost giving up a wild pitch.  Then got it together and secured the win.  What a game indeed.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Que Eye of the Tiger Music...

Animosity remains for Mariners right fielder
Angels bring out devil in Guillen
By DAVID ANDRIESEN AND JOHN HICKEY
P-I REPORTERS
LINK: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/308887_mbok24.html

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Two teams and more than two years removed from his ugly departure from the Los Angeles Angels, you'd think Jose Guillen would be over it.

You'd be wrong.

"Against these guys, I'm gonna tell you straightforward, the anger comes out of me," the Mariners right fielder said Friday. "I want to kill all those guys."

Despite his reputation as an angry guy, Guillen meant "kill" in the competitive, not the literal, sense. Metaphorically, he helped kill the Angels on Friday, hitting a two-run homer in the first inning and going 3-for-4 in Seattle's 10-6 victory.

"I love a lot of those guys I played with over there, but there's some guys I don't really love over there, and I want to show them something," Guillen said. "The decision they made was a stupid one, and it should have been handled different.

"I (wish) we could play them 162 times. That's going to be my motivation. And trust me, that's not good when Jose Guillen gets motivated. I really step up to a really different level."

Guillen had an outstanding season for the Angels in 2004, batting .294 with 27 homers and 104 RBIs. But with two weeks left in the regular season, the outfielder publicly criticized manager Mike Scioscia after Scioscia lifted him for a pinch runner in a key game. Scioscia responded by suspending Guillen for the remainder of the regular season and the postseason for insubordination.

Guillen was traded to the Washington Nationals that winter, and when the Angels and Nationals played the next season, Washington manager Frank Robinson asked umpires to check Angels pitcher Brendan Donnelly's glove for pine tar -- reportedly on a tip from Guillen. Donnelly was ejected, Robinson and Scioscia got into a heated discussion, the benches emptied, and Guillen hit a game-tying, eighth-inning homer in a Nationals victory.

The next day Guillen railed against Scioscia to reporters, calling him "a piece of garbage" and saying "he can go to hell."

The animosity remains, and as long as Guillen can harness it on the field, the Mariners should be glad. In two Cactus League games against the Angels this spring, Guillen is 5-for-7 with two home runs, two doubles and five RBIs.

Friday he was greeted with boos from the Angels faithful, then brought Mariners fans to their feet when he parked a 2-2 offering from former teammate John Lackey on the left-field lawn. He admits to sneaking a glance at Scioscia while headed for first base.

"I'll always have something to prove to those guys," Guillen said. "Not to the players maybe, but to the manager. Usually I couldn't care less about spring training, but against that team I care. To me, I take it like it's the (regular) season."

The good news for Seattle fans is that once the games do count, the Mariners and Angels are scheduled to play 19 times.

"It's going to be 19 exciting, good games, I can tell you that," Guillen said. "You can write that down. It's going to be 19 exciting games. It's going to be crazy when we go to Anaheim, but I know how to handle it. I do not (feel) pressure from anyone, and I will prove it on the field."

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Hell I might have to get MLB extra innings just to watch those games...  probably more exciting than watching the Nats play! *badum-ching!*

*ducks and runs for cover* ;) :P

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Jose isn't waiting for the Angels.  One of the subjects of his animosity is Brendan Donnelly, and he was involved in a verbal altercation two nights ago and ejected.  Donnelly, now pitching for the Red Sox, hit the next Mariner batter and was himself ejected.  

Sometimes I do miss the drama queen.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070410&content_id=1890957&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

BOSTON -- Unless you are a fan of the Angels or the Nationals, the exchange of words that took place between Red Sox reliever Brendan Donnelly and Mariners right fielder Jose Guillen on Tuesday afternoon was probably a bit of a mystery. But then you connect the dots, and it starts to make sense.

Donnelly struck out Guillen on three pitches in the eighth. Then, Guillen and Donnelly had some words. Guillen took a few steps toward the mound and was ejected. Donnelly then hit the next batter -- Kenji Johjima -- and was also thrown out of the game.

Guillen and Donnelly were teammates in Anaheim in 2004, the same year the former was suspended late in the season for a clash with manager Mike Scioscia.

One season later, Donnelly was thrown out of a game against Guillen's Nationals for using pine tar on his glove.

"There's some history there," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "And we were warned in Spring Training and warned before the game, 'No shenanigans.' And there wasn't. We told Brendan when he was pitching, 'Just let it go. Whatever happened in Anaheim, just let it go.' And he struck him out, and then there was some words. And they ejected Guillen."

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Seven Days Until We Hear
The Lamentations of the Women...

Offline Dave B

And it's a weekend too. It should make for some good late night TV.  Although Guillen does a lot of yapping while he is being held back.  He needs to actually get to the mound one of these times.  Probably wont be much violence but I'd like to see him hit a big HR and taunt someone

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
  Probably wont be much violence but I'd like to see him hit a big HR and taunt someone

And if that doesn't get the desired reaction, he should taunt them a second time, with a french accent.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
So far...all quiet on the Western Coast front.  Apparently not much to report as far as the old feud is concerned.  Today (April 22), is the last day in the three game series.

Offline mikehughes

Those were the days. That was about as good as it gets.  The whole stadium hating guillen and then he jacks one out.  I think Spivey had a big RBI in that game.

Then the Drese debut. 8 shutout innings. Nats win 1-0 after Cordero loads the bases then gets three outs. 

I wish guillen could have stayed healthy.  He was something else.  In that 1-0 game, i remember they held a guy at third on a single in the 9th because of guillens arm.  I thought is a for sure send him home situation.

Didnt he call scioscia a "piece of garbage"?  Then we had Angels trolls show up.

I do look for mariners games and tune in just to say "whats up". And to watch Vidro pop up to third and drop his head like he had a bag of bricks hanging from it.  I was working on my vidro impression the other day just in case someone wants to see it

You can buy a game at a time on MLB.TV? That is usefull

Whatever happened to Dyan Drese? He reminds me of Mike Bacsik, they look kinda the same, and I would much rather have Guillen right now than Austin Kearns, Guillens starting to heat up

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Drese was struggling for the Rangers despite having some solid stats in the past, so the Nats picked him up off waivers (I believe).  Drese pitched well for us, but was hampered by injuries.  After the new ownership, and the new outlook, Drese just wasn't a good fit for our team.

Offline mikehughes

Is Drese still a free agent?

Offline NatsAddict

Is Drese still a free agent?

The Baseball Cube has his last transaction as, "Oct 3,2006 - Released by Nationals"

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Many pitchers don't ever recover from labrum surgery.  Drese was a sinkerballer who needs to get to a certain velocity for the pitch to work.  My guess is that he just hasn't been able to get there yet.  It can be done, however, so it would not surprise to see him make it back in another year or two.

And given the current state of our Columus rotation, if he was getting close, might be a good minor league contract signing.

Offline NatsAddict

Many pitchers don't ever recover from labrum surgery.  Drese was a sinkerballer who needs to get to a certain velocity for the pitch to work.  My guess is that he just hasn't been able to get there yet.  It can be done, however, so it would not surprise to see him make it back in another year or two.

And given the current state of our Columus rotation, if he was getting close, might be a good minor league contract signing.

Virtually none make it back from the labrum surgery.  Since this following was written, Nate Bump is another never made it back stat.

Leading baseball surgeon Dr. James Andrews estimates that 85 percent of pitchers make a full recovery after an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, aka the once risky Tommy John surgery. (USA Today has even called the surgery the "pitcher's best friend.") But if pitchers with torn labrums were horses, they'd be destroyed. Of the 36 major-league hurlers diagnosed with labrum tears in the last five years, only midlevel reliever Rocky Biddle has returned to his previous level. Think about that when your favorite pitcher comes down with labrum trouble: He has a 3 percent chance of becoming Rocky Biddle. More likely, he'll turn into Mike Harkey, Robert Person, or Jim Parque, pitchers who lost stamina and velocity—and a major-league career—when their labrums began to fray.
Slate

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Was that the game where Chief wiped out on the mound?? I can't recall exactly what game it was, but it was embarassing as hell, and yet he got up, blushed a bit, and then went boom, boom, boom, game over with a big "W." 

correct you are...and I remember he stumbled or something like that, almost giving up a wild pitch.  Then got it together and secured the win.  What a game indeed.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Was that the game where Chief wiped out on the mound?? I can't recall exactly what game it was, but it was embarassing as hell, and yet he got up, blushed a bit, and then went boom, boom, boom, game over with a big "W." 

Yeah...that was the same game.