Author Topic: Need help planning a trip to DC  (Read 2097 times)

Offline vicki4471

Need help planning a trip to DC
« Topic Start: April 16, 2014, 06:19:45 PM »
First of all I'd like to say hi to everyone. I've been eavesdropping on you guys for 2 seasons now and finally got the nerve to post. I was afraid I'd be the only woman in a room full of guys I guess. Anyway I dont live in DC. I have grown up watching baseball. I was force fed the Yankees growing up in New York and moved to NC when I was 10 and was force fed the Braves. Please dont hold it against me. I cant stand them, I tolerate the Yankees only because my son idolizes Jeter and the things we dont do for our kids. Anyway one night we were channel hopping and I stopped on a game for a second and they were going on and on about a 19 year old kid who just arrived in the big leagues. It was the game where Cole Hamels plunked him and he stole home. I was intrigued so I tuned in again the next night, and the night after that...and the rest is history.

My 16 year old daughter and I want to make a trip this summer to catch a series and have a few questions. Is it a nightmare to drive in DC? Am I better off taking the metro? Where is a good place to stay thats convenient to Nats park? I dont need a five star hotel just decent , clean, safe accomodations.

Is the stadium tour worth taking? What is the best way to get a chance to meet players/get autographs

Can someone recommend sections to sit in that give us a good view but give her a chance to grab a ball? Unfortunately we do have to be cost conscious.

Any input the experts here can provide would be appreciated.

Offline blue911

Re: Need help planning a trip to DC
« Reply #1: April 16, 2014, 06:29:52 PM »
Hotel Monaco four stops away on the green line and you get to sleep in an old post office :D

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #2: April 16, 2014, 06:34:20 PM »
First of all I'd like to say hi to everyone. I've been eavesdropping on you guys for 2 seasons now and finally got the nerve to post. I was afraid I'd be the only woman in a room full of guys I guess. Anyway I dont live in DC. I have grown up watching baseball. I was force fed the Yankees growing up in New York and moved to NC when I was 10 and was force fed the Braves. Please dont hold it against me. I cant stand them, I tolerate the Yankees only because my son idolizes Jeter and the things we dont do for our kids. Anyway one night we were channel hopping and I stopped on a game for a second and they were going on and on about a 19 year old kid who just arrived in the big leagues. It was the game where Cole Hamels plunked him and he stole home. I was intrigued so I tuned in again the next night, and the night after that...and the rest is history.

My 16 year old daughter and I want to make a trip this summer to catch a series and have a few questions. Is it a nightmare to drive in DC? Am I better off taking the metro? Where is a good place to stay thats convenient to Nats park? I dont need a five star hotel just decent , clean, safe accomodations.

Is the stadium tour worth taking? What is the best way to get a chance to meet players/get autographs

Can someone recommend sections to sit in that give us a good view but give her a chance to grab a ball? Unfortunately we do have to be cost conscious.

Any input the experts here can provide would be appreciated.

Welcome!

Driving in the DC area during rush hour is not fun. If you can avoid it, you probably should. If you do choose to drive, www.jdland.com has plenty of advice on the neighborhood, including restaurants and stadium parking options. Metro is the easiest way to get the stadium unless you're staying in one of the two hotels within walking distance. The Capitol Skyline Hotel is about a 5-10 minute walk north on South Capitol Street. It's an older property and their rates fluctuate. The Courtyard by Marriott is very close to the park, but it tends to be pricey.  My recommendation would be the Americana Hotel in Crystal City - it's an older property that's been around since the early '60s. Nothing special, but it's clean, the service is good, and the prices are the lowest you'll find close to the city. It's received great reviews on TripAdvisor. You can walk to the Crystal City Metro station and it's an easy trip to the ballpark.

As far as the stadium, I've never done the "official" tour but it would be kind of cool. I have had other opportunities to see the clubhouse, dugout, press box, etc. and it's neat going behind the scenes. I'd say it's worth doing if it fits into your schedule. Regarding seating, check out "The Cheapskate's Thread" on this forum for discount ticket codes, etc. Personally, I like the outfield reserved seats (left field side, not right field) and the infield gallery - both of those sections are reasonably priced.

Good luck!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #3: April 16, 2014, 06:38:58 PM »
Hotel Monaco four stops away on the green line and you get to sleep in an old post office :D

$388 a night for one person?  Is that normal DC hotel rates?  :shock:

Offline blue911

« Reply #4: April 16, 2014, 06:42:28 PM »
$388 a night for one person?  Is that normal DC hotel rates?  :shock:

It's a four star hotel in a 180 year old building.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #5: April 16, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »
I was thinking of booking a room there and coming to the park for $1 Monday.

Offline blue911

« Reply #6: April 16, 2014, 06:56:55 PM »
I was thinking of booking a room there and coming to the park for $1 Monday.

If you spend that much on a room you really need better tickets. $2 Tuesday as an example

Offline Nathan

« Reply #7: April 16, 2014, 06:59:50 PM »
I've seriously thought about coming down on a Sunday, stay the night, play tourist, and catching a game on Monday evening before heading back up North after the game.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #8: April 16, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »
Driving in DC can be a nightmare but it also depends on when you're here and where you're staying. The subway is always an option so if you plan on doing the full tour you can always pick and choose where and when to drive and where and when to take the train.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #9: April 16, 2014, 07:34:02 PM »
If you are asking if driving in DC is an issue, than it will be for you.

I'd suggest a hotel in Alexandria, Old Town has more reasonable hotels and  will put you right on the Metro.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: April 16, 2014, 07:54:57 PM »
If you are asking if driving in DC is an issue, than it will be for you.

I'd suggest a hotel in Alexandria, Old Town has more reasonable hotels and  will put you right on the Metro.

Embassy suites is right on the metro and old town is walkable from there, Crystal city has a lot of hotels too.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #11: April 16, 2014, 08:04:25 PM »
Metro is a nightmare.  To catch a foul ball at a reasonable price I'd get seats in the 300s near home plate or down low in the 100s out towards the foul poles.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: April 16, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »
I'm with Halfsmokes, Old Town Alexandria near metro (also a Hilton I think) gives you a safe, entrtaining place to base your visit from.  Gonna cost you more than Crystal City for sure, but dozens of restaurants, shops, galleries and waterfront makes for a much better all around experience.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #13: April 16, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »
Metro doesn't track what day you park, so one day or five days, it's $5 for parking.  Metro is easy on Sundays.  Metro back on a Monday night will be just fine (crowds aren't huge on Monday nights.) You can pay for parking with  a credit card on the way out of SG Metro in the right-most turnstyle. The others are Metro card only. If you aren't in the mood for a  Metro transfers, take the Red Line to Union Station, then look for the Circulator bus stop. It's all of a dollar.  Union Station will get you near the Capitol for the tourist thing, too.

Or pick a Sunday and drive your sorry ass to Gaithersburg, and I'll do the rest. :)

I've seriously thought about coming down on a Sunday, stay the night, play tourist, and catching a game on Monday evening before heading back up North after the game.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #14: April 16, 2014, 09:00:01 PM »
Metro doesn't track what day you park, so one day or five days, it's $5 for parking.  Metro is easy on Sundays.  Metro back on a Monday night will be just fine (crowds aren't huge on Monday nights.) You can pay for parking with  a credit card on the way out of SG Metro in the right-most turnstyle. The others are Metro card only. If you aren't in the mood for a  Metro transfers, take the Red Line to Union Station, then look for the Circulator bus stop. It's all of a dollar.  Union Station will get you near the Capitol for the tourist thing, too.

Or pick a Sunday and drive your sorry ass to Gaithersburg, and I'll do the rest. :)

Might have to take you up on that for a Sunday game!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #15: April 16, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »

Sunday games are so damned early though.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #16: April 16, 2014, 09:01:13 PM »
I can't agree with you Terp or Halfsmokes.  The Old Town Marriot is $149/night.  There are 2 Marriot hotels in Rosselyn for $99/night or $109/night.  Rosslyn is just as good an area for restaurants and Georgetown nearby.  Also, it is an easier subway ride to the ballpark, if one gets off the subway at the Capitol South station

I'm with Halfsmokes, Old Town Alexandria near metro (also a Hilton I think) gives you a safe, entrtaining place to base your visit from.  Gonna cost you more than Crystal City for sure, but dozens of restaurants, shops, galleries and waterfront makes for a much better all around experience.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: April 16, 2014, 09:10:06 PM »
I can't agree with you Terp or Halfsmokes.  The Old Town Marriot is $149/night.  There are 2 Marriot hotels in Rosselyn for $99/night or $109/night.  Rosslyn is just as good an area for restaurants and Georgetown nearby.  Also, it is an easier subway ride to the ballpark, if one gets off the subway at the Capitol South station

Old town or Crystal city is a couple of stops to l'enfant then two stops to the park- not exactly a trudge (if you do use the yellow line, on the way back, stay on the green until archives if you want a seat home)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #18: April 16, 2014, 09:11:04 PM »
Oh, those charming concrete canyons of Rosslyn, quite the tourist draw.   

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #19: April 16, 2014, 09:12:46 PM »
True, but one has to transfer at L'Fant Plaza, not an easy task for those not used to the subway system

Old town or Crystal city is a couple of stops to l'enfant then two stops to the park- not exactly a trudge (if you do use the yellow line, on the way back, stay on the green until archives if you want a seat home)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #20: April 16, 2014, 09:21:48 PM »
True, but one has to transfer at L'Fant Plaza, not an easy task for those not used to the subway system

Do it every day.  If coming in from the yellow go upstairs and down to the other side. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #21: April 16, 2014, 09:30:04 PM »
That's cool, too. Bring the boy.

Might have to take you up on that for a Sunday game!

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #22: April 16, 2014, 09:32:43 PM »
That's cool, too. Bring the boy.

And maybe the GF if it's safe by then :lol: We'll by the tix.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #23: April 16, 2014, 09:38:35 PM »
Cool. If it's a Sunday game we've got tix too, we'll just all pile in the minivan and you'll get to see my wife, the prototypical point-it-and-punch-it style driver, in action on the GW Parkway. When it comes to driving, she insists. :)

And maybe the GF if it's safe by then :lol: We'll by the tix.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #24: April 16, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
Can you elaborate more on what is a point-it-and-punch-it driver ?

Cool. If it's a Sunday game we've got tix too, we'll just all pile in the minivan and you'll get to see my wife, the prototypical point-it-and-punch-it style driver, in action on the GW Parkway. When it comes to driving, she insists. :)