Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1  (Read 18762 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1
« Reply #50: September 13, 2010, 09:26:15 PM »
They've clearly checked out.

Offline bglide

• banned
« Reply #51: September 13, 2010, 09:27:09 PM »
Detweiler looks good.  Get him and Stammen back in the rotation.  Why are we taking our young, talented starters out of the rotation for old washed up has beens and never was's

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #52: September 13, 2010, 09:27:59 PM »
I care that this loss at least hurts the Phillies more than us. 

we're in the ninth inning and haven't made it to page 3 yet.  This team doesn't seem to care, nor do the fans anymore.

The strasburg-mania was fun while it lasted....

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #53: September 13, 2010, 09:32:07 PM »
Espinosa, Desmond, Zim, Bernadina, Morse,Clippard, Balester, Storen,Slaten,Peralta,Stammen,Pudge,Livan,Marquis,Lannan... have played on pitched their way onto a roster spot for 2011.
Dunn, will they sign him????
I still think the J Zimm, Detwiler, Maya, Mock, JD, experiments for the rotation is a work in progress. No one guy out of these guys has the upper hand. Maya and Detwiler for the $$$ the Nats have invested will get the longest looks in ST 2011.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #54: September 13, 2010, 09:38:32 PM »
Espinosa, Desmond, Zim, Bernadina, Morse,Clippard, Balester, Storen,Slaten,Peralta,Stammen,Pudge,Livan,Marquis,Lannan... have played on pitched their way onto a roster spot for 2011.

I agree on most except for Marquis - we got taken for a ride with him and I have serious doubts he'll give us more than seven "quality starts" next season.  Maya, unless he looks really good after some more "seasoning", is starting to look like another disaster signing.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #55: September 13, 2010, 09:39:42 PM »
Isn't this guy supposed to be 29 and have won the Cuban equivalent of the Cy Young award?  Wasn't the big selling point on Maya that he was major league ready and didn't need much seasoning?  One swallow doesn't make a summer but I think there's a reason the Nats got him instead of the other clubs.  From what we've seen so far he looks like another overhyped and overpaid bum.

I simply meant he wasn't in the minors long enough in regards to acclimating to pitching in front of tens of thousands. He clearly doesn't need to learn anymore in the minors, see five of six innings. And the one bad inning is the result of nerves/anxiety and just breaking down, not guys getting hits off a bad pitcher.

Sorry, I'm still absolutely sold on Maya. How can you not be when you take away two innings in his first two starts and he's only given up what, 1 ER? That's a pitcher that has a ton of potential.

Offline PC

« Reply #56: September 13, 2010, 09:43:34 PM »
We actually outhit them.   :|

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #57: September 13, 2010, 09:46:25 PM »
How can you not be when you take away two innings in his first two starts and he's only given up what, 1 ER? That's a pitcher that has a ton of potential.

In that case why not take a few innings away from Marquis and Lannan and say they both look "ok" this season.  I just don't buy into the "we got a steal" when the guy shows up and is obviously not 29 and is obviously not ready for prime-time.  We'll see how he looks in his next start.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #58: September 13, 2010, 09:52:39 PM »
In that case why not take a few innings away from Marquis and Lannan and say they both look "ok" this season.  I just don't buy into the "we got a steal" when the guy shows up and is obviously not 29 and is obviously not ready for prime-time.  We'll see how he looks in his next start.

Err, the difference is those two were not making their first starts in the major leagues, for the first time in front of so large a crowd with people he can't talk to or understand, with his family in Cuba still? Look, he is 0-2. Got it. But he's got about a million mitigating factors. Both games he was dominant for all but one inning. Literally dominant. The one inning he did fail, it was due to Maya collapsing and not the other team wiping the floor with bad pitches. You stop him from collapsing that one inning and he's got an ERA under 1. Considering how few American baseball starts he's had, I don't think it's sane to be writing him off as unable to overcome his issues in that one bad inning after two MLB starts and what, seven American baseball starts? And how many pitchers do we have where you can say the same? Take one bad inning away and they are dominant? I think we should focus on how much better Maya is than our AAAA trash, not tearing down one of the better pitchers we have at this point.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #59: September 13, 2010, 09:58:26 PM »
12 strikeouts for Lowe? This team stinks! The only season-long regular hitting over .300 is Zim? Yeah BA, blah, blah, no hits, no wins.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #60: September 13, 2010, 10:03:32 PM »
But he's got about a million mitigating factors.

And he's getting paid over $6m to go out there and show he's not an overhyped bust.  He's had two MLB starts, we'll see how he looks at the end of the season, but I don't think we'll be looking at a future #2.  But with our pitching staff who knows.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #61: September 13, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »

It is a good thing Sportsfan's cousin (or secret alter ego) showed up to school us on Yunesky or this game thread would be just two pages.

p.s. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_D-LlI9f-pQo/THG7OyZBn3I/AAAAAAAAaKY/UoDxTKborgo/s1600/IMG_5790.JPG

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #62: September 13, 2010, 10:09:35 PM »
Who was it here that said Maya would be a #1 on most teams? That has to be the dumbest thing said on this board and that is saying a lot considering SF posts here.

Offline PC

« Reply #63: September 13, 2010, 10:17:18 PM »
As I posted earlier in this thread, I think two starts is too early to call him a bust.  Two starts isn't too early, at least for me, for my optimism to be muted.

You can say if this or that but you can't exclude the bad inning.  The bad innings count and the bad innings have been really bad.

I certainly haven't come to a final opinion, though.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #64: September 13, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
I certainly have made a final conclusion though.

Freudian slip? :lmao:

Offline PC

« Reply #65: September 13, 2010, 10:24:07 PM »
Freudian slip? :lmao:

Badly worded and mistyped or Freudian slip, take your pick. :lol:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #66: September 13, 2010, 10:29:40 PM »
It is a good thing Sportsfan's cousin (or secret alter ego) showed up to school us on Yunesky or this game thread would be just two pages.

That's a pretty nasty blister.  Are you implying he's pitching injured?  If so, why start him if he's not going to be 100%?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #67: September 13, 2010, 10:39:28 PM »
That's a pretty nasty blister.  Are you implying he's pitching injured?  If so, why start him if he's not going to be 100%?

It's just a blister. Put some superglue on it and suck it up.

Just kidding.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #68: September 13, 2010, 10:50:07 PM »
So, I was totally planning to watch the game today.  Then, about ten minutes before first pitch, the power went out.  It just came on.  Sounds like the power didn't come on for the boys.  Reading a book by candlelight turned out to be a pretty good evening though.  Had a nice convo with my brother too...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #69: September 14, 2010, 01:44:09 AM »
It's just a blister. Put some superglue on it and suck it up.

Just kidding.

Is this Dibble?   :)

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #70: September 14, 2010, 07:15:50 AM »
He's definitely not 100% or he'd be blister free. I don't know enough about how he grips his pitches to put a number on it. Basically once he heals we'll see how he does but until than I'll be taking his pitching with a grain of salt until that blister heals up.

Online blue911

« Reply #71: September 14, 2010, 08:46:49 AM »
Who was it here that said Maya would be a #1 on most teams? That has to be the dumbest thing said on this board and that is saying a lot considering SF posts here.

You have to keep in mind that Maya has pitched in a grand total of 7 games since the WBC in March of 2009. 7 games in two full MLB seasons and people expect him to look like? What exactly? There isn't a pitcher in baseball that can take off a year and a half and be effective after a 21 inning tune up.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #72: September 14, 2010, 08:58:39 AM »
You have to keep in mind that Maya has pitched in a grand total of 7 games since the WBC in March of 2009. 7 games in two full MLB seasons and people expect him to look like? What exactly? There isn't a pitcher in baseball that can take off a year and a half and be effective after a 21 inning tune up.
The point is that someone here said that Maya would be a #1 pitcher on most teams. Think about it and realize how ridiculous that statement is. Guys who are anywhere close to having the potential to be #1's on most teams don't sign for $6 Million to the Nats.

Online blue911

« Reply #73: September 14, 2010, 09:02:03 AM »
The point is that someone here said that Maya would be a #1 pitcher on most teams. Think about it and realize how ridiculous that statement is. Guys who are anywhere close to having the potential to be #1's on most teams don't sign for $6 Million to the Nats.

It's stupid for anybody to draw any conclusion about Maya at this point. Let him get some innings in this season and see what he looks like next year.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #74: September 14, 2010, 09:58:27 AM »
Can someone check if MarquisDeSade is indeed SF as some are claiming.