Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 157983 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2100: January 10, 2012, 08:54:52 AM »
Probably been posted before, but I'll take a long shot and guess it hasn't:

(Image removed from quote.)

:clap:      :cheers:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2101: January 10, 2012, 09:29:43 AM »
Try a Brooklyn Lager as a starting point.  It's got a little more hop than Yuengling.  If you like that, then try a pale ale and also try an esb.

A lot of the traditional German beers are not hoppy, but with more flavor; or you can go all in
and grab a dogfish head 90 min IPA

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2102: January 10, 2012, 09:41:31 AM »
Probably been posted before, but I'll take a long shot and guess it hasn't:

That's great.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2103: January 10, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »
I'm not a huge beer drinker myself. usually just drink Bud Light Lime or Yuengling. Brother tried this Rogue crap and something else, firefly or something? They were TERRIBLE.

Why did you think they were terrible?

Too bitter?

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #2104: January 10, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »
Why did you think they were terrible?

Too bitter?

I guess bitter would be the right word. Didn't like the taste at all.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2105: January 10, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »

Don't give up on a beer too quickly. Sometimes the shock value of what it tastes like can turn you off. Once you know what to expect, if you have another one a couple days later it will be better. Try putting it in a nice glass like a snifter or tulip shape. It will give it a nice head and look glorious and make you want to drink it. Limp in with pilsners, then pale ales. Maybe even a stout. They look intimidating but can be mild. Fat tire is a good entry level. Duvel is good and plain but very good, it is almost perfect 'plain beer' taste

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2106: January 10, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »

If you don't like the taste of beer - stick to beers with no taste. Bud/Miller/Coors. Anything light and cold.

In fact, the colder the better - as long as by better - you mean less flavorful. The colder the beer, the less you will taste. That's why Coors Light has that blue thingy on the bottle, to make sure that it is cold enough to mask any off-flavors you might taste if you drank it too warm....

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2108: January 13, 2012, 10:40:30 PM »

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2109: January 13, 2012, 10:45:57 PM »
Survival of the fittest :rofl:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2110: January 21, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout

Saw it at Harris Teeter. Figured it was just Guinness. Then stumbled up on online where it said it was 7.5% abv, which was surprising. So I looked on Beer Advocate. It rates very well, which was also surprising

Might have to try it
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/209/752

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2111: January 22, 2012, 12:57:17 AM »
Thanks for posting - this looks worth trying

Saw it at Harris Teeter. Figured it was just Guinness. Then stumbled up on online where it said it was 7.5% abv, which was surprising. So I looked on Beer Advocate. It rates very well, which was also surprising

Might have to try it

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2112: January 22, 2012, 07:04:35 AM »
I'm very tempted to hit this thing up.  Last charity event I attended I was drunk and tripping over toddlers by the end, looks like I won't have to worry about the kiddies at this thing.

http://dcbeer.com/2012/01/09/cystic-fibrosis-foundations-brewers-ball-back-for-2012/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Holy freakballs $115

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2113: January 22, 2012, 09:57:25 AM »

If you don't like the taste of beer - stick to beers with no taste. Bud/Miller/Coors. Anything light and cold.

Disagree. If you don't like the taste of beer, start with wheat beers and doubles and triples. They tend to have less of that bitter, heavy feel, a bit of sweetness or fruitiness, but plenty of alcohol/strength. Blue Moon as a very basic port of entry, then Franziskaner and Weihenstephaner, maybe some local microbrew wheats, if you need a sweeter article Blanche de Bruxelles, then if you want to try something really strong but really flavorful, splurge on a triple. My first legal drink at 21 was Tripel Karmeliet. I'm such a snob.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2114: January 22, 2012, 10:22:51 AM »
Holy freakballs $115

That's for the high rollers, the holiday pack is probably more your speed, for $19.99 you get to watch the events through the window and select pickings off of the leftover trays, comes with a Screech ornament.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2115: January 22, 2012, 01:50:26 PM »

Might have to try it

Just picked up a four pack at shoppers for today's games

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2116: February 04, 2012, 06:17:12 AM »
Has anyone tried the Port City anniversary beer that just came out, called "One" ?   It's described as a Belgium stoudt.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2117: February 05, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »
This is a good place to buy beer online.  A friend of mine who is a NY Giant fan will need thsi site to payoff his bet to me

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=dogfish+head+beer+burton+baton

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2118: February 05, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »
This is a good place to buy beer online.  A friend of mine who is a NY Giant fan will need thsi site to payoff his bet to me

http://www.thefind.com/search?query=dogfish+head+beer+burton+baton

hahaha

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2119: February 11, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »
FUND NASA!!!!!!

Every now and then you hear something which grabs your attention.  This captured my attention: There is a cloud of alcohol (ethyl alcohol – the happy juice found in beer, wine, and spirits) floating in space.  This isn’t a small cloud either.  There is enough alcohol in this cloud to make 400 trillion trillion pints of beer.  That is one hell of a keg party.

http://www.fermentarium.com/random-news/giant-cosmic-space-clouds-of-beer/

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #2120: February 20, 2012, 07:38:54 AM »
[how did this thread fall to the third page?]

From the sublime to the ridiculous: as a public service I gave Bud Light Platinum a go yesterday (when our neighbourhood Giant finally started selling it in six-packs rather than making one spring for a 12).

Those familiar with fellow A-B/InBev product Natural Ice will know what to expect - the flavours (to the extent that these brews have any flavour at all) are indistinguishable. Platinum has the easy drinkability of Natural Ice and a 1/10 of 1 percent higher ABV - 6.0 vs 5.9 - so it should get one trashed right good and proper.

However, it is priced as for premium beer - $7.49 per six-pack at Giant - so basically you're paying $3-4 more for that extra 0.1% ABV and pretty bottle. For just 10 cents more one can pick up a six of St Pauli Girl. (Haven't priced this at Harris Teeter yet; beer prices at Giant tend to be higher than at H-T, often considerably so.)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2121: February 20, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »
I received a batch of ingredients last week - and will be brewing one night this week... looking to make a clone of the Magic Hat #9.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2122: February 22, 2012, 02:14:02 PM »
So Chelsea - do you think Bud did this just to try to charge more or did they feel there is demand for low flavor, higher alcohol ?

[how did this thread fall to the third page?]

From the sublime to the ridiculous: as a public service I gave Bud Light Platinum a go yesterday (when our neighbourhood Giant finally started selling it in six-packs rather than making one spring for a 12).

Those familiar with fellow A-B/InBev product Natural Ice will know what to expect - the flavours (to the extent that these brews have any flavour at all) are indistinguishable. Platinum has the easy drinkability of Natural Ice and a 1/10 of 1 percent higher ABV - 6.0 vs 5.9 - so it should get one trashed right good and proper.

However, it is priced as for premium beer - $7.49 per six-pack at Giant - so basically you're paying $3-4 more for that extra 0.1% ABV and pretty bottle. For just 10 cents more one can pick up a six of St Pauli Girl. (Haven't priced this at Harris Teeter yet; beer prices at Giant tend to be higher than at H-T, often considerably so.)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2123: February 22, 2012, 02:18:31 PM »
Sounds like that "ice" beer crap the big breweries were peddling back in the 80s and 90s.

So Chelsea - do you think Bud did this just to try to charge more or did they feel there is demand for low flavor, higher alcohol ?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2124: February 22, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »
Sounds like that "ice" beer crap the big breweries were peddling back in the 80s and 90s.

but high end

has anyone else tried Victory's Prima Pils- nice refreshing beer for early spring