Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 61111 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #275: August 25, 2011, 12:10:05 AM »
IE 10 is pretty nice.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #276: August 25, 2011, 12:10:35 AM »
What's funny is that PC was the least trolling participant in that exchange.

All spot-on.

Uh, Microsoft Windows? :lol:

Now look, before anybody gets their knickers in a twist, I'm not a blind MS fanboy like PC (though I sometimes wonder if he's putting on a show), but between how turrible most Linux Desktop distros are and the fact that almost any worthwhile OSS app has an excellent Windows and/or Mac port, why in the blue freaking hell would anybody use desktop Linux?  Linux as a server is great, and there are some great shiny gems of open source like Firefox, GIMP, etc., but they aren't dominant products.

/Windows fanboy

That said, the two pieces of software that make up probably 95% of my computer usage (Firefox and Pidgin) are both open source

/devils' advocate :stir:

Also the forum runs on Linux

/ :stir: :stir: :stir:

:mg:

You last-paged me! :rant:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #277: August 25, 2011, 12:10:56 AM »
IE 10 is pretty nice.

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah, my friends and I used to jokingly call IE "Firefox downloader"

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #278: August 25, 2011, 06:10:33 AM »
Yeah, my friends and I used to jokingly call IE "Firefox downloader"

I'm going command line only baby.  plain text and command line.  bring the pain....

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #279: August 25, 2011, 07:52:17 AM »
yeah sometimes I wonder if PC is just trolling people with his blind MS fandom. nobody can be THAT much of a Fanboy can they?

I'm not even nearly that bad about Google, and I'm starting to branch out a bit from them anyway.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #280: August 25, 2011, 07:57:38 AM »
I'm going command line only baby.  plain text and command line.  bring the pain....

You know Richard Stallman purportedly actually does that, right?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #281: August 25, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »
You know Richard Stallman purportedly actually does that, right?

Yep.  rms bringin' the damn pain.  In all seriousness, I actually love the command line and have grown to hate the GUI.  I will concede that Office 2007 is pretty sweet, I actually dig the ribbon.  The registry still sucks dirty dix though.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #282: August 25, 2011, 10:58:52 AM »
Gimp is way over complicated and is more accurately compared to Photoshop.

Hyperbole. Fanatical zealotry of any kind is quite humorous to me and worthy of response in kind.

I would be intersted to hear why Microsoft OneNote is so great, I glanced at it a couple times but never say a practical use for it.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #283: August 25, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »
Hyperbole. Fanatical zealotry of any kind is quite humorous to me and worthy of response in kind.

I would be intersted to hear why Microsoft OneNote is so great, I glanced at it a couple times but never say a practical use for it.

My gf and her mom both use it and think it's awesome.  I don't even know what the hell it does.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #284: August 25, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
IE 10 is pretty nice.

(Image removed from quote.)

You'd think that with all the poached talent, IE would be great

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #285: August 25, 2011, 01:42:23 PM »
I hate Bing. I hate the fact that damn near anything you click on the MSN home page only gives you a tidbit of the story you want to read, but then has "find out why" or some crap as another Bing search link. I'm no techie, I'm sure that's pretty obvious, but to me it just seems like Microsoft is using this crap to generate hits. I'm not a Microsoft hater in general, but I truly do not like Bing and at the moment have no interest in trying to freak with it. [/rant]

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #286: August 29, 2011, 01:49:30 AM »
I feel the opposite about Bing. so far, I am really enjoying it. Been using it as my primary search engine for about a week and a half now.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #287: August 29, 2011, 01:51:47 AM »
Zune Marketplace.

can I use it with other MP3 players? or will it only work with Zune Players and Windows 7 Phones?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #288: August 29, 2011, 02:51:48 AM »
Are you talking about buying songs or the Zune Pass unlimited subscription based thingy?

For individual songs, I thought they were DRM free and it seems supported by wikipedia:
Initially offering 2 million songs, the Zune Marketplace has grown to offer 11 million songs[4], all of which are now available in MP3 format at up to 320kbps and are DRM-free.

I'm curious as to why you'd buy from there, since they have killed the hardware, instead of something like Amazon (PA boner alert) since they also have DRM free mp3s.  Hell, even iTunes is DRM free nowadays, except it isn't in mp3 format.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #289: August 29, 2011, 08:48:53 AM »
Last time I looked, Zune Pass was unlimited streaming + 10 downloads (to keep) per month for $15/month.  As long as you use it, that's a much better deal than iTunes.  Who cares about the hardware? :shrug:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #290: August 29, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »
Last time I looked, Zune Pass was unlimited streaming + 10 downloads (to keep) per month for $15/month.  As long as you use it, that's a much better deal than iTunes.  Who cares about the hardware? :shrug:

Napster was unlimited streaming plus 10 to keep for 10 dollars a month when i signed up, but now spotify is free.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #291: August 29, 2011, 10:30:43 AM »
Mediafire FTW.  Everything else sucks.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #292: August 29, 2011, 10:35:53 AM »
Napster was unlimited streaming plus 10 to keep for 10 dollars a month when i signed up, but now spotify is free.

lol Napster.

Spotify is nice, but some people (like me) prefer to "own" their music (aka store it locally).  Yeah I know, I'm a dinosaur.

Mediafire FTW.  Everything else sucks.

I think he was asking about legitimate music acquisition :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #293: August 29, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »
lol Napster.

Spotify is nice, but some people (like me) prefer to "own" their music (aka store it locally).  Yeah I know, I'm a dinosaur.

I think he was asking about legitimate music acquisition :lol:

Napster and Rhapsody streaming are both nice services, yes I know the name is absurd. I now get my streaming free from spotify and buy from Amazon (you get free cloud storage with purchase, so again, free streaming).

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #294: August 29, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »
I actually just store my crap on Mediafire.  It's there whenever I need it and since I can't stream crap at work anyway I'll just DL it, listen to it, and delete it when the day is done.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #295: August 29, 2011, 10:42:49 AM »
Napster and Rhapsody streaming are both nice services, yes I know the name is absurd. I now get my streaming free from spotify and buy from Amazon (you get free cloud storage with purchase, so again, free streaming).

To each their own.  I wasn't evangelizing Zune, just pointing out that it's a perfectly legit option, especially when compared to iTunes.  That there are so many more choices now is great.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #296: August 29, 2011, 10:52:07 AM »
To each their own.  I wasn't evangelizing Zune, just pointing out that it's a perfectly legit option, especially when compared to iTunes.  That there are so many more choices now is great.

I don't even use iTunes to sync my ipod anymore, I use spotify. We agree again, sir :lol:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #297: August 29, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »
If you are using a pc, sure.  Zune Pass isn't going to work if you want to use an iPod or some other device.  So I'd assume he was referring to downloading and buying individual songs.  If you aren't using zune pass and aren't using a zune, that's why I asked about using the zune marketplace.

Actually, Xbox360 might be a reason to use a zune pass perhaps.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #298: August 29, 2011, 02:20:52 PM »
Zunepass downloads work just fine on an iPod, or any other device that can play mp3 files.  Other than that, you're probably right, it wouldn't be the first thing I'd think of when buying music.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #299: August 29, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »
MSDN blog post about changes and improvements to Windows Explorer in Windows 8:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/