Author Topic: Are the Cardinals and Nats equal teams?  (Read 4442 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Are the Cardinals and Nats equal teams?
« Reply #75: October 10, 2012, 10:25:53 PM »
You must be the forum tough guy. You also couldn't have proven my point anymore then you just did, either. The cardinals are just doing everything championship teams do. Their hitters, starting pitching, bullpen, and base running have just been better.  The only reason the cardinals had such a bad regular season record is because the bullpen was a mess during the middle of the season. Figure out the 7th, 8th, 9th, add a few young power arms and, well, you see the result.

You're not tough, your team doesn't deserve respect based on one season, and quit thinking about what if we still had Strasburg.

Can you just...leave here?  And take Bob Carpenter with you.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #76: October 10, 2012, 10:31:17 PM »

No. Let him stay. By Friday night he will be spreading ass cheeks to invite deeper ramming.

Offline cards12in12

« Reply #77: October 10, 2012, 10:33:19 PM »

why? This is what fans do during the postseason. Have some fun with it. This series isn't over, not even when you're down to your last strike, twice.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #78: October 10, 2012, 11:02:10 PM »
Enough with the flame war for 24 2 hours.  If there is a game 5, then feel free to post.  and when you get back here, drop this sort of BS:
your team doesn't deserve respect based on one season, and quit thinking about what if we still had Strasburg.

You come to a team message board and not expect some rally talk for the team?  That looks like you are trying to start something.  I like the content you have posted and don't mind talking about the Cards and how the team has progressed over the year.  I have never taken a discipline step against an out of town poster before, and we get some Philly fans pretty often.  But it isn't like Obed fed a cardinal to a cat (don't kid yourself, mascots have been choked before to psyche up teams).  It's a take on Bluto, that's all.  Think for a bit then come back if you like.

Edited to reflect current status 10/11/12

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #79: October 11, 2012, 12:11:39 AM »
Well then, so much for that Rejkavik summit  :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80: October 11, 2012, 08:23:12 AM »
I over-reacted.  Cards12in12 should feel free to post.  We've backed down the warning to allow posting.

All - We can't really have a knowledgeable discussion about the Cards without letting folks who follow the Cards post.  The assumption should not be automatic that they are just here to flame back and forth, agitate, and waste our time.  That said, let's be clear that there is going to be some "rally talk" about frying birds, etc... on a nats board and this is not an invitation for fans of opponents to bounce back with insults.  That only escalates and detracts from the board.  I see that (and I think any other mod or The Chief), and I start deleting posts and will even hand out a time out for few hours to let things settle a bit.

As for the basic question, are these teams equal?  Not the past two days, but prior performance is not a guarantee of future performance, except in the mindfact world.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81: October 11, 2012, 08:33:59 AM »
Oh, about doing damage to a mascot:

Did a Harvard coach once strangle a bulldog to motivate his team to beat Yale?
November 2, 2011 |  8:11 am    51

FOOTBALL URBAN LEGEND: The coach of Harvard once strangled a live bulldog to death to motivate his team to defeat the Yale Bulldogs.

Percy Haughton was, without a doubt, the most successful football coach in the history of Harvard Crimson football. . . .

The legend goes that Haughton actually strangled a live bulldog before the game in front of his players to motivate them to victory.  . . .

While I found nothing confirming the incident, I did come across a number of later accounts suggesting that Haughton had created a Bulldog doll (presumably out of Papier-mâché), and he had strangled THAT. In addition, that he had attached the doll to his car and drove around town dragging the doll. In an excellent historical study on the Harvard/Yale rivalry a few years back, John Powers of the Boston Globe mentioned the doll theory.

I find the doll theory to be such a clear choice that I feel confident stating it to be the truth.

So, if you fry any bird, make sure it is Big Bird.  Or, just simply flip a bird.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82: October 11, 2012, 08:37:21 AM »
Obed - come on.  Enough with the fight stuff.

• babble on
« Reply #83: October 11, 2012, 08:39:39 AM »
Anyone remember Craig McTavish tearing out Harvey the Hound's tongue at an Oilers/Flames war, er, game a number of years back?  While I don't generally think that the mutilation of mascots is necessary, there have been plenty of times where I wanted the Phanatic to meet a fiery end. 

Offline LA2DC

« Reply #84: October 11, 2012, 10:04:39 AM »
I'm new to baseball, does that sort of thing happen in this sport?  How fast does momentum change?

I saw a stat that showed how "hot" the last few World Series winners were during the month of September and it led me to believe it's a slower build up than other sports.

The playoffs are a small sample size, so more often than you think. Look how many series the Cardinals had to come back to win last year. Look at how the Giants just pulled even with the Reds after being thoroughly outclassed in the first 2 games.

And you're right that it's usually the hot teams that make it through. The problem is that the NL this year didn't really have a team like that other than perhaps the Giants. It certainly wasn't the Cardinals. They wouldn't have even made the playoffs if the Dodgers didn't play even worse than they did in September.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #85: October 11, 2012, 10:18:08 AM »
Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others

• babble on
« Reply #86: October 11, 2012, 10:22:22 AM »
Four legs good, two legs bad

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #87: October 11, 2012, 11:10:38 AM »

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #88: October 11, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »
I over-reacted.  Cards12in12 should feel free to post.  We've backed down the warning to allow posting.

You were right the first time.  The guy was mostly harmless until he threw in the "your team doesn't deserve respect comment."  Saying a 98-win team doesn't deserve respect is so stupid it's just obvious trolling.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #89: October 11, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »
Bump

Offline cards12in12

« Reply #90: October 11, 2012, 07:33:25 PM »
You were right the first time.  The guy was mostly harmless until he threw in the "your team doesn't deserve respect comment."  Saying a 98-win team doesn't deserve respect is so stupid it's just obvious trolling.

I apologize for the comment. I didn't mean they don't deserve respect at all. I was trying to make the point that what happened in the regular season doesn't matter anymore. A 98-win team obviously is loaded with talent, but playoff experience is huge.

Is there anyway i can change my username? I was thinking cards11in12 might be more fitting after tonight. Momentum has completely swung to the other side. These teams seem pretty equal to me now. Hopefully tomorrow night the the boys will bring their bats with them to the plate. Can't strike out 8 straight times and expect to win.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #91: October 11, 2012, 07:38:35 PM »
I apologize for the comment. I didn't mean they don't deserve respect at all. I was trying to make the point that what happened in the regular season doesn't matter anymore. A 98-win team obviously is loaded with talent, but playoff experience is huge.

Is there anyway i can change my username? I was thinking cards11in12 might be more fitting after tonight. Momentum has completely swung to the other side. These teams seem pretty equal to me now. Hopefully tomorrow night the the boys will bring their bats with them to the plate. Can't strike out 8 straight times and expect to win.

You lose one game and you want to change your name? Grow some stones.

Offline cards12in12

« Reply #92: October 11, 2012, 07:53:25 PM »
You lose one game and you want to change your name? Grow some stones.

Joke bro, just a little joke. Just trying to have some fun with a cardinal loss.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #93: October 11, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »
:lmao:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94: October 11, 2012, 10:21:29 PM »

Good to see you back.  I was concerned my over-reaction might have chased you.  Anyone who wants to avoid Card fans can ignore you (please) but it is good to get someone knowledgeable about an opponent here.

I think I can understand why Lynn was in there.  Thin bullpen, on the road, so let a quality pitcher who had been effective in game 2 go long, and if you get a lead, then Motte to close.  Are people on Matheny for his bullpen management (again), or are they saying he's doing the best with a roster he's given?

Offline cards12in12

« Reply #95: October 11, 2012, 11:59:27 PM »
Good to see you back.  I was concerned my over-reaction might have chased you.  Anyone who wants to avoid Card fans can ignore you (please) but it is good to get someone knowledgeable about an opponent here.

I think I can understand why Lynn was in there.  Thin bullpen, on the road, so let a quality pitcher who had been effective in game 2 go long, and if you get a lead, then Motte to close.  Are people on Matheny for his bullpen management (again), or are they saying he's doing the best with a roster he's given?

Tonight's decision is being met with mixed feelings, but i think the majority are in favor. A few are saying Motte should have come in for the heart of the lineup and then use Lynn for the bottom half. On the road i think Matheny made the better choice, though. But this is nothing like the game 1 decision to bring in Rzep over Motte. His reason for that was the pitcher spot was coming up in the bottom half of the 8th. That shouldn't have been a factor in the decision. Motte gets out of the inning you're still up by 1. You give him a bat and you tell him to stand in the box and don't swing. Then send him out to close the game. Rookie manager mistake.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #96: October 12, 2012, 12:05:53 AM »

It's instructive as to a team's capacity to perform at a certain level.  The Nationals' win today, after two seemingly demoralizing losses, is the type of win they've managed to eke out all year.  The Nats have a penchant for following up heartbreak with resilience.  I'd say the regular season doesn't directly affect what happens, but it does tell us something about these teams.