Author Topic: Are Nats among MLB's smartest spending organizations?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

No. The Marlins are ahead of the Nationals, so the statistic is flawed.

Price per win means nothing in baseball if your team can't make the playoffs. The only team in the last 5 years they had capable of that was awful.

Offline HalfSmokes

so because almost every star on the team (really most players) is either in arbitration or pre-arb, we're smart? Lets see what a few years from now look like

Online blue911

If you don't have a championship banner, then all your spending is stupid.

so because almost every star on the team (really most players) is either in arbitration or pre-arb, we're smart? Lets see what a few years from now look like

That absolutely means Rizzo is smart. He drafted, developed, traded for or signed all of those players, and they won a good deal more games the past three years than the crap that preceeded it.

The winning strategy a few years from now might be to keep our stars, but it might also be to trade away some of them for younger talent. In any case, a potential future can't detract from the realities of the past.

Offline HalfSmokes

That absolutely means Rizzo is smart. He drafted, developed, traded for or signed all of those players, and they won a good deal more games the past three years than the crap that preceeded it.

The winning strategy a few years from now might be to keep our stars, but it might also be to trade away some of them for younger talent. In any case, a potential future can't detract from the realities of the past.

that's fine (just curious, when can we remove the 'preceded it' bar and judge the team compared to other baseball teams?). Right now, none of the big Rizzo picks have aged past their arbitration years, lets see what happens when they work through the system. Of the big contributors to the team, only Gio, Zimmermann and Werth are signed long term- that may be shrewd and a great thing, or it may not- we'll start getting the first inkling when Zimmermann, Fister, Desmond (unless he's permanently broken), Ramos (if he ever stays healthy), as well as key relievers (detwiler and clippard) all come up in two years- maybe the young guys just step in without the team missing a beat, maybe some extensions get signed, and maybe more trades get made, but I'd like to see- until now, everything has been about building by adding pieces, soon keeping pieces will become a big part of the process.

(just curious, when can we remove the 'preceded it' bar and judge the team compared to other baseball teams?).

However long you'd like. The different comparisons that can be made are endless.

I think you'll find that 80, 98 and 86 win seasons ove the past three years compares favorably against even World Series winning franchises.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
If you don't have a championship banner, then all your spending is stupid.

This.     

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

I think you'll find that 80, 98 and 86 win seasons ove the past three years compares favorably against even World Series winning franchises.

:lmao:  The team hasn't even won a playoff series how the freak does that compare favorably with winning a title?

:lmao:  The team hasn't even won a playoff series how the freak does that compare favorably with winning a title?

The number of regular season wins compares favorably. Tell me where I said the playoff wins were comparable :smh:

You do know a lot of baseball is sequencing luck, right?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

I thought it was primarily about playing better than the other team?   :shrug:

Most games are a game of inches. Baseball is a game of millimeters. If players could control where the ball is hit they'd all hit 1.000. I'm not going to be upset at a team for any one game or even series for random variation.

Offline HalfSmokes

However long you'd like. The different comparisons that can be made are endless.

Execpt the whole world series thing

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
The number of regular season wins compares favorably. Tell me where I said the playoff wins were comparable :smh:

You're the one who brought up World Series winning franchises. Winning x amount of games is meaningless unless you win titles.

:lmao:  I don't even know what the freak that means so you clearly know more about the game than I do.

That's too simplistic.   ;)

It may be pointless to you, but it isn't pointless to me. I enjoy watching the team play every night regardless of whether they get hot enough to win the World Series.

Also, there's no alternative to spending money. You can't say they shouldn't have tried or signed players because another team secures the last out of the year. Calling the whole process wasted is asinine. You don't get good results without a good process and using hindsight bias to justify something was a bad process is what leads to bad decisionmaking. Like signing Soriano in 2013. Wait, that's hindsight bias too. He's been great this year.

Random variation. Put the best team together you can and hope they win.

Offline HalfSmokes

If you want to argue the world series is random,  fine,  one playoff appearance may be the better yard stick since you have to be in to have a chance at winning.  Or we can call the process great,  the result meaningless and raise a'2013 champions but for random outcomes' banner

Online blue911

The Angels are paying Mike Trout $1M for this season, The Mets are paying Bobby Bonilla $1.2M for this season.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
The Angels are paying Mike Trout $1M for this season, The Mets are paying Bobby Bonilla $1.2M for this season.

:lol: