Author Topic: Home Plate Collision Rule  (Read 1260 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Home Plate Collision Rule
« Topic Start: February 24, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »
From MLBTR:

Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association announced today that they have agreed to implement an experimental rule that is designed to eliminate "most egregious collisions at home plate." The official language of the rule, per the press release, is as follows:

"A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate).  If, in the judgment of the Umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the Umpire shall declare the runner out (even if the player covering home plate loses possession of the ball).

Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score.  If, in the judgment of the Umpire, the catcher, without possession of the ball, blocks the pathway of the runner, the Umpire shall call or signal the runner safe."

The rule, numbered Rule 7.13, does not bar players from colliding with a catcher if the ball is already clearly in the catcher's possession by the time the runner reaches home plate. Factors in determining whether or not a runner violated the rule will be whether or not he made an effort to touch home plate, lowered his shoulders or pushed through the catcher leading with his hands, elbows or arms. Runners who slide and catchers who leave a path for the runner to get to the plate will not be found in violation of the rule.

MLB and the MLBPA will form a committee of players and managers to review the rule as the season progresses, with an eye on full-time implementation for the 2015

Online imref

Re: Home Plate Collision Rule
« Reply #1: February 24, 2014, 03:56:14 PM »
I see nothing wrong with this rule change.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #2: February 24, 2014, 03:57:11 PM »
So basically you can still truck the catcher as long as you stay on line, and the catcher can't block the plate unless he has the ball. Seems fine.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #3: February 24, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »
Does this mean McCann has to stop lecturing runners about unwritten rules on their way to home?

Online imref

« Reply #4: February 24, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »
So basically you can still truck the catcher as long as you stay on line, and the catcher can't block the plate unless he has the ball. Seems fine.

you can't drop your shoulder and try to run him over, you have to try for the plate.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: February 24, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »
I don't think you'll have to truck the catcher, it seems like they'll have to find somewhere else to position themselves waiting for the trow and then try to get the runner.
Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score.  If, in the judgment of the Umpire, the catcher, without possession of the ball, blocks the pathway of the runner, the Umpire shall call or signal the runner safe."

Online imref

« Reply #6: February 24, 2014, 04:11:31 PM »
I don't think you'll have to truck the catcher, it seems like they'll have to find somewhere else to position themselves waiting for the trow and then try to get the runner.

when I coached little league we taught the catcher to position himself in front of the plate toward the pitcher, then sweep across the 3B line with his glove after getting the ball, i assume that's the positioning going forward (and I think some catchers already position themselves this way to avoid collisions).

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #7: February 24, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »
you can't drop your shoulder and try to run him over, you have to try for the plate.

Ah so direct path means literally directly at the plate. Couldn't you just try and get a foot on the plate and truck him. Maybe not directly lower your shoulder? I could see some 50-50 calls on that. Kind of a "was he still trying for the plate and happened to knock the snot out of the catcher?" sort of thing.

Offline blue911

« Reply #8: February 24, 2014, 04:27:36 PM »
The hockey style masks are still a greater danger to a catchers health.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #9: February 24, 2014, 05:30:49 PM »
Why do you say that blue? Do you think it emboldens the catchers and leads to higher probability of getting hurt?

Offline blue911

« Reply #10: February 24, 2014, 05:50:51 PM »
Why do you say that blue? Do you think it emboldens the catchers and leads to higher probability of getting hurt?

They don't provide as much protection from foul balls as the old style masks. Taking a shot to the mask happens every game. Getting run over is a rare event. I have no issue with the new rule but they need to address catcher safety realistically and not just hot button 8t

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #11: February 25, 2014, 12:26:44 AM »
They don't?  You'd think that something designed to take 100+ mph pucks could take a baseball.  No doubt that an object going 100 mph is going to hurt, but I would have thought that a mask built to puck specs would be more than adequate for a lower density projectile like a ball.  Plus I've seen more umps drop to the ground with a face shot than catchers in recent years...just a non-scientific anecdotal observation.     

« Reply #12: February 25, 2014, 06:38:41 AM »
Common now. Its the only time we see any physical contact between players. Now they doing this?

Offline blue911

« Reply #13: February 25, 2014, 07:13:02 AM »
They don't?  You'd think that something designed to take 100+ mph pucks could take a baseball.  No doubt that an object going 100 mph is going to hurt, but I would have thought that a mask built to puck specs would be more than adequate for a lower density projectile like a ball.  Plus I've seen more umps drop to the ground with a face shot than catchers in recent years...just a non-scientific anecdotal observation.     

It's designed to keep a person head in one piece, the scrambled egg part not so good. What it doesn't do is flex so your brain ends up sloshing around more.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #14: February 25, 2014, 09:44:49 AM »
So the teams whose catchers have smaller brains have an edge.  You'd expect the Cards to win every game. 

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #15: February 25, 2014, 10:01:23 AM »
meh.  I'm not a fan of the judgement calls by the umps.  I do like the fact that runners can't go out of their way to knock the ball out the catcher and it still leaves room for an actual play at the plate.  But that is assuming the stars and the moons align in the right 23 degree angle of our solar systems sun at exactly 2:23pm.

Online imref

« Reply #16: June 25, 2014, 10:38:30 AM »
minor tweak, rule no longer applies when there's a force from third.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11129670/mlb-adjusts-rule-home-plate-collisions-controversy