Author Topic: Mazilli Fired  (Read 1427 times)

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

Mazilli Fired
« Topic Start: August 04, 2005, 02:15:56 PM »
Fair or infair, not a big surprise.

Would Frank be gone too if Bowden could actually fire him without Bud's OK?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Mazilli Fired
« Reply #1: August 04, 2005, 02:21:08 PM »
And who would replace Frank in the interim? I'd rather tough it out with Frank Robinson than have Bob Boone in charge. With Boone around, firing Frank scares the bajesus outta me...

Mazilli Fired
« Reply #2: August 04, 2005, 02:33:59 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
And who would replace Frank in the interim? I'd rather tough it out with Frank Robinson than have Bob Boone in charge. With Boone around, firing Frank scares the bajesus outta me...

I'm shocked.

I woudda thought you'd prefer Guzman took over the team as player-manager if it got rid of Frank :)

Seriously, I always liked Boone as a player but his managerial record doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. He IS a super positive guy tho so if you looked at it as for AUG-SEP - which is likely all it would be - maybe just the change factor would carry him. Gotta think he'd be more successful at loosening up the team that Frank has been.

visionary

Mazilli Fired
« Reply #3: August 04, 2005, 03:41:18 PM »
washingtonpost.com
Free-Falling Orioles Fire Mazzilli
Perlozzo Takes Over as Interim Manager

By Dave Sheinin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, August 4, 2005; 3:30 PM

ANAHEIM, Calif., Aug. 4 -- The Baltimore Orioles fired Manager Lee Mazzilli on Thursday morning and replaced him with bench coach Sam Perlozzo on an interim basis, a team official said. The announcement was expected to come prior to the team's game this afternoon against the Los Angeles Angels.

The Orioles were in first place for 62 consecutive days between April and June, but have gone 9-28 since then, including their current eight-game losing streak, falling to 10 1/2 games behind first-place Boston in the American League East.

"It's part of the job, unfortunately," Mazzilli said in a phone interview. "Someone has to be held accountable. And I feel like I have to be held acokangarooable. You wish you could see it through and get it done. Unfortunately we couldn't get it done. I'll miss the people. The city really made me feel welcome. It's part of the job.

"It all stops here with me. We were in first place for 62 games and playing well and for whatever reason didn't play as well as should have."

Mazzilli was hired before the 2004 season, replacing Mike Hargrove, and led the Orioles to a 78-84 record and a third-place finish in 2004, the team's highest finish since winning the division in 1997.

The firing marks the first time under owner Peter Angelos that the Orioles have fired .a manager or general manager in mid-season.

Perlozzo, who has coached under Hargrove, Davey Johnson and Lou Piniella, was viewed as one of the leading candidates for the Orioles' manager's job before the team hired Mazzilli instead.
? 2005 Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive

visionary

Mazilli Fired
« Reply #4: August 04, 2005, 03:43:28 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"

Bowden can do it!

He's done a great job as our GM so far, he will be even better as our new coach.

:wink:

...just kidding.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Mazilli Fired
« Reply #5: August 04, 2005, 04:07:57 PM »
The Orioles have completely collapsed.  The Nats have not been playing well, but the margin between winning and losing has been razor thin all season.  (the whole 1-run game thing).

The Nats are still battling it out every night, as long as they are putting forth the effort, it would be counterproductive to make a manager change mid-season.

I have as much heartburn as most of you about the way Frank manages games and certain players, but on balance the team remains quite competitive despite the recent troubles.  If I'm GM, he stays.

Mazilli Fired
« Reply #6: August 04, 2005, 04:32:00 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
The Orioles have completely collapsed.  The Nats have not been playing well, but the margin between winning and losing has been razor thin all season.  (the whole 1-run game thing).

The Nats are still battling it out every night, as long as they are putting forth the effort, it would be counterproductive to make a manager change mid-season.

I have as much heartburn as most of you about the way Frank manages games and certain players, but on balance the team remains quite competitive despite the recent troubles.  If I'm GM, he stays.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying its necessarily a solution to fire him, just something might have happened in a more normal ownership situation. Almost comes down to the clich?d "any change will have a positive effect."

Plus, time was probably 7-10 days ago. You get to the point where its likely too late even if you got lucky and a positive result occured.

One thing you wonder. If I'm Malek or Ledecky and I don't plan to keep Frank on for 2006, I might be a lot happier if he's fired this season. That way one of my first significant acts as owner isn't firing a baseball legend and MLB gets the blame for letting him go.

DelNatsFan

Mazilli Fired
« Reply #7: August 04, 2005, 08:39:01 PM »
1 1/2 seasons to turn around a bad team????????? Bedard gets hurt, Sosa disappoints; it's a young team still learning how to win. They wanted to can him last season as well. You've gotta be kidding me. Maz got hosed big time