Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 50784 times)

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #200: November 01, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »
I'd kind of be interested in Shin-Soo Choo if we can't bring ALR back.

As long as you can keep him off the sauce, go for it.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #201: November 01, 2012, 04:53:34 PM »
As long as you can keep him off the sauce,

I'd say he handles alcohol pretty well.   a .2 blood level and he's still alive.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #202: November 01, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »
Have him drink only what Harper orders.  He played 155 games last year, so hopefully that is behind him.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #203: November 01, 2012, 05:18:09 PM »
  You'll have time to see if Goodwin can be the man and address next year when Morse departs.

I agree with everything you said but I would add " if and when " Morse departs. Yes a liability in the outfield but if he repeats 2011 and remains injury free in 2013 I would keep him if Goodwin isn't ready or we can't get a FA that gives us an upgrade. You just shouldn't dump his production at the plate. You can't have an all star at every position.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #204: November 01, 2012, 05:50:39 PM »
When you say keep Morse after 2013, how much would you pay him to keep him?  His contract is up.  that's why folks are saying get something for morse now if you bring back ALR.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #205: November 01, 2012, 06:01:43 PM »
Koreans are the Irish of Asia
I'd say he handles alcohol pretty well.   a .2 blood level and he's still alive.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #206: November 01, 2012, 06:43:45 PM »
Koreans are the Irish of Asia

I don't like the implication but you're right.   They even despise each other.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #207: November 01, 2012, 06:51:45 PM »
When you say keep Morse after 2013, how much would you pay him to keep him?  His contract is up.  that's why folks are saying get something for morse now if you bring back ALR.

I don't know. It is not my money. I thought we paid to much for EJax and certainaly too much for Werth.We have a year to wait and see how he performs. I like him in the # 5 spot. He has an astronomical avg with the bases loaded ( just thought I would throw that out since I have never seen it posted here). I think that a lot will be predicated on aav and years on the ALR contract. Not as much but approaching 10 mil per.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #208: November 02, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
Honourable Mitlen-선배

Did not know you were Korean. 

미안합니다

I don't like the implication but you're right.   They even despise each other.

Offline PC

« Reply #209: November 02, 2012, 02:39:30 AM »
Our old friend Paul Swydan has weighed in...on Morse, at least:

3. Washington Nationals trade 1B/OF/DH Michael Morse to the Toronto Blue Jays for RHP Kyle Drabek and IF Mike McCoy.

As Dan Szymborski noted in his Tuesday article on the Nationals, the team has very few holes, so consider this move addition by subtraction. Over the past three years, just five qualified position players have been worse defensively than Morse, per UZR. And with the Nationals intent on re-signing Adam LaRoche, that leaves Morse in left field, where he is completely and utterly exposed. Chad Tracy and Tyler Moore were just as effective offensively last year as Morse was, and they aren't going to kill the Nats in the pasture the way that Morse will.

In left field, Morse's bat isn't good enough to make up for his awful defense. Moving him to Toronto would permit to the Blue Jays to finally bid adieu to Adam Lind, and Morse and Edwin Encarnacion could take turns at first base and designated hitter. In return for Morse, Washington gets a lottery ticket in Drabek, and a very solid utility player in McCoy. McCoy is a demon on the basepaths and can field every position outside of pitcher and catcher with aplomb.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove12/story/_/id/8579468/los-angeles-dodgers-trading-andre-ethier-national-league-moves-happen-winter-mlb

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #210: November 02, 2012, 02:54:04 AM »
I like the Drabek/McCoy package okay, but I don't see why Toronto would want Morse on a one year deal.

Offline blue911

« Reply #211: November 02, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »
Our old friend Paul Swydan has weighed in...on Morse, at least:

3. Washington Nationals trade 1B/OF/DH Michael Morse to the Toronto Blue Jays for RHP Kyle Drabek and IF Mike McCoy.

As Dan Szymborski noted in his Tuesday article on the Nationals, the team has very few holes, so consider this move addition by subtraction. Over the past three years, just five qualified position players have been worse defensively than Morse, per UZR. And with the Nationals intent on re-signing Adam LaRoche, that leaves Morse in left field, where he is completely and utterly exposed. Chad Tracy and Tyler Moore were just as effective offensively last year as Morse was, and they aren't going to kill the Nats in the pasture the way that Morse will.

In left field, Morse's bat isn't good enough to make up for his awful defense. Moving him to Toronto would permit to the Blue Jays to finally bid adieu to Adam Lind, and Morse and Edwin Encarnacion could take turns at first base and designated hitter. In return for Morse, Washington gets a lottery ticket in Drabek, and a very solid utility player in McCoy. McCoy is a demon on the basepaths and can field every position outside of pitcher and catcher with aplomb.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove12/story/_/id/8579468/los-angeles-dodgers-trading-andre-ethier-national-league-moves-happen-winter-mlb

:lmao:

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #212: November 02, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »

Make it happen Rizzo (also includes signing LaRoche)!

Upon actual review. I'm gonna say a huge NO!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #213: November 02, 2012, 08:56:08 AM »
Drabeck has sucked, McCoy can't hit, is 31, and is not at a position of need. The notion that trading Morse is addition by subtraction is idiotic. That is one of the worst pretend trades I've ever read and doesn't make sense for either side.

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
« Reply #214: November 02, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »
Drabeck has sucked, McCoy can't hit and is 31. That is one of the worst pretend trades I've ever read and doesn't make sense for either side.

Yes, let's trade a dude that can crush the ball for a guy that might get it together and a dude that couldn't start on the Astros.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #215: November 02, 2012, 08:58:48 AM »
Drabeck has sucked, McCoy can't hit and is 31. That is one of the worst pretend trades I've ever read and doesn't make sense for either side.

contending tem gives up best player (on a one year contract) in exchange for two gambles who may not make the 25 man roster?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #216: November 02, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »
McCoy has ammassed a slash line of .190/.273/.256 in 300+ AB's across 4 seasons.  Drabek would be yet another minor league pitcher with injury issues - we have enough of those.

If they trade Morse, they need to do better than that.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #217: November 02, 2012, 09:00:05 AM »
Right, the trade at least makes sense if we were the last place team and they were the first place team.

Is Paul Swyndan just trolling this site? I mean that's worse than the suggested trades I read on MLBTR (Zimmerman for Bourjos).

Offline Ray D

« Reply #218: November 02, 2012, 09:26:50 AM »
And with the Nationals intent on re-signing Adam LaRoche,

They have until tomorrow, then he's gone.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #219: November 02, 2012, 10:46:34 AM »
They have until tomorrow, then he's gone.

That's...not true.

Offline PebbleBall

« Reply #220: November 02, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »
It was during a press conference. I remember hearing it, too.

“We need him back more than we need me back,” Johnson said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2012/09/16/davey-johnson-wants-adam-laroche-back-in-2013/

Offline Ray D

« Reply #221: November 02, 2012, 10:52:47 AM »
That's...not true.

Yes I realize that they can sign him after tomorrow, but so can other teams.  Other teams cannot contact him until tomorrow. Once they are able to contact him, I'm afraid he's gone.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #222: November 02, 2012, 10:56:02 AM »
Yes I realize that they can sign him after tomorrow, but so can other teams.  Other teams cannot contact him until tomorrow. Once they are able to contact him, I'm afraid he's gone.

I wouldnt be surprised if he tests the market and comes back, but our chances do drop of retaining him at that point

Offline PebbleBall

« Reply #223: November 02, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »

I guess, but it seems a little panicky.  He's said he wants to be back, they've said they want him back, I don't think he's gone by any means if negotiations stretch past the exclusivity window.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #224: November 02, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
I guess, but it seems a little panicky. 

Yes, panic. Exactly. There are too many teams out there ready to throw ridiculous money at him.