Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Watch  (Read 186630 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: The Bryce Harper Watch
« Reply #375: May 17, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »
Will do, Chief. But just so you know, my answer to Linty's question would have been yes. And you're assumption about me is incorrect. That's fine though.

Well if that's the case, then you should certainly be used to people who know nothing about the matter talking trash.  It's unfortunate, but it comes with the territory.  Arguing with such folks on the internet definitely won't help anyone's blood pressure, and we don't want anyone here to blow a gasket :thumbs:

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #376: May 17, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »
Well if that's the case, then you should certainly be used to people who know nothing about the matter talking trash.  It's unfortunate, but it comes with the territory.  Arguing with such folks on the internet definitely won't help anyone's blood pressure, and we don't want anyone here to blow a gasket :thumbs:
Fair enough. I usually just lurk/read but sometimes I can't help myself from getting drawn in.

Thanks for putting it in perspective for me.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #377: May 17, 2010, 05:33:36 PM »
Back on topic, if this guy really does have such good speed and a cannon, would anyone else like to see him put in RF? I could see him becoming a spectacular defensive OFer which would protect his health. Deciding his position is a good problem to have.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #378: May 17, 2010, 05:50:21 PM »
Back on topic, if this guy really does have such good speed and a cannon, would anyone else like to see him put in RF? I could see him becoming a spectacular defensive OFer which would protect his health. Deciding his position is a good problem to have.

Yeah scouts are split on whether he should be a catcher or corner outfielder.

I wouldn't have a problem moving him to RF and have Flores/Norris fulfill the catching duties.

Offline blue911

« Reply #379: May 17, 2010, 05:55:14 PM »
Leave him at catcher, that way when he jumps to the Yankees they get a snotty little jerk with crappy knees.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #380: May 17, 2010, 06:27:12 PM »
Yeah scouts are split on whether he should be a catcher or corner outfielder.

I wouldn't have a problem moving him to RF and have Flores/Norris fulfill the catching duties.

Flores is destined be a backup - Norris, Harper, and Nieto are breathing down his neck at this point, and Pudge is here next season.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #381: May 17, 2010, 06:40:48 PM »
I could see him becoming a spectacular defensive OFer

based on what?

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #382: May 17, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »
Leave him at catcher, that way when he jumps to the Yankees they get a snotty little jerk with crappy knees.

Nice. :)

Marketing Yourself 101 - if you're over 12 years old, don't pine for a particular professional team.  At least, not when there's a microphone or reporter around.

His high school coach and his parents should have pounded this into him.

Offline epic_phalanx

« Reply #383: May 17, 2010, 09:57:37 PM »
based on what?

He's a fantastic athlete, and I've read several pieces saying he has the tools to play a plus CF. If he plays a corner OF, I think average defense is the floor.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #384: May 18, 2010, 10:05:54 AM »
I'm not old school (I'm 23) or don't usually care what players are wearing, but his eye black thing looks pretty stupid. Seriously it is down below his chin, I'm sure he'll eventually outgrow or do away with it after people say stuff about it after all he is only 17. Pretty crazy but we all have to remind ourselves of that sometimes.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #385: May 18, 2010, 02:48:58 PM »
I'm not old school (I'm 23) or don't usually care what players are wearing, but his eye black thing looks pretty stupid. Seriously it is down below his chin, I'm sure he'll eventually outgrow or do away with it after people say stuff about it after all he is only 17. Pretty crazy but we all have to remind ourselves of that sometimes.

(Image removed from quote.)

I am a bit older -- 34 -- the eye black reminds me of John Randle and LOD/Road Warrior Hawk. That being said -- he won't do that in the majors. Not if Rizzo is still building this team...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #386: May 18, 2010, 03:33:33 PM »
I am a bit older -- 34 -- the eye black reminds me of John Randle and LOD/Road Warrior Hawk. That being said -- he won't do that in the majors. Not if Rizzo is still building this team...
Better than this:

It's been a fairly big phenomenon in College Football:

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #387: May 18, 2010, 04:19:29 PM »
That dude from Texas Tech looks crazy, but I sure as hell wouldn't say that to his face :lol:

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #388: May 18, 2010, 06:16:55 PM »
Q: Would you rather get to the big leagues in two years as an outfielder or in three years as a catcher?

A: Whoever drafts me, whatever they want to do with me, I'll do. I love to catch. I've loved to catch my whole life. But playing in the outfield and being able to hit and play in every single game, that's a big difference. Anywhere I can help a club, I'll help them. Anywhere they need me or want to use me, I'll do whatever they want. I love to catch and love to play the outfield.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/draft-preview/2010/269976.html

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #390: May 18, 2010, 06:33:43 PM »
yea, what a cocky d-bag

There's really no need to keep taking shots at each other over that, you know.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #391: May 18, 2010, 06:44:50 PM »
There's really no need to keep taking shots at each other over that, you know.

Shut up you authoritarian ass! :stir: :whip:

In other news: Good to know for Bryce. If he can really produce the way they say, Id like to see him play everyday and have Norris as Catcher. Who knows, we'll see.

Offline cachemoney

« Reply #392: May 19, 2010, 12:57:43 PM »
With the recent Hanley Ramirez news, it got me wondering.

Would fans of Harper still want him if he duplicated the behavior that Ramirez displayed this week ?

Not saying he will, just asking a hypothetical question.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #393: May 19, 2010, 01:16:16 PM »
With the recent Hanley Ramirez news, it got me wondering.

Would fans of Harper still want him if he duplicated the behavior that Ramirez displayed this week ?

Not saying he will, just asking a hypothetical question.

It's a risk with Harper's personality. 

Manny ended up like he did because the Red Sox coddled him too long, until they couldn't get him back under control.  Marlins have apparently been tolerating Hanley's non-conformity for a while, and now they are paying a bit of a price for having let him get out there a bit too far.  Clearly the Nats are loathe to have divas taking up a roster slot, if they can avoid it.  I would think Riggleman should be as solid as any manager in maintaining control over clubhouse personalities, given his pro-active approach to communicating expectations to his players, and their obviously favorable response thus far.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #394: May 19, 2010, 02:11:55 PM »
Clearly the Nats are loathe to have divas taking up a roster slot,

Hate to do this to you, fellow grammar guru, but in the construction "is/are loath to do something," there's no e on the end of loath. :)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #395: May 19, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »
based on what?
He has awesome speed. He is a hard worker. He has a cannon for an arm. I have seen it said he could play CF. All that together with the fact he has been playing it some makes me think his defensive could be a plus in RF. I think he has the type of intensity that he'd want to be a great defensive player out there. Also, with him in the OF we can play him more than we would if he were behind plate. Yeah, Mauer calls this into question, but I still think behind plate puts him more at risk for injuries and early burnout. I'm sure we can find good defensive catchers we can hide in a stacked lineup, so I'd rather put Bryce Harper in the RF and have him focus on chasing the triple crown.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #396: May 19, 2010, 03:46:34 PM »
Hate to do this to you, fellow grammar guru, but in the construction "is/are loath to do something," there's no e on the end of loath. :)

:razz:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #397: May 19, 2010, 05:39:30 PM »
Anyone remember a young Alexander Ovechkin, before he broke in the NHL? Some thought that he talked too much trash and was too wild/exuberant with his custom gear, mirrored visor, etc. Before the draft the TSN knock on him was "must learn to back up his brash talk."

The whole, mirrored visor deal and celebrations have earned him some criticism from "traditionalists" (i.e., Canadian media who feel threatened by his nationality). I see the same thing with Bryce - the eye black, the salute, etc.

As long as Bryce is open to listening to advice from guys like Zimmerman, Pudge, hell, even the AAAA guys who are "lifers," Bryce will end the gestures that some deem troublesome. I think he'll be willing to listen.

The guy wants to play every day, so that tells me he loves the game and will make it his life (in other words, he won't just try to get by on talent to make his money). He knows what he wants - to be the best. I think even the best, like Harper, know they need to improve to that level and need to learn around good clubhouse guys. I'm pumped to see him play and don't think he'll be in the minors for more than a full season. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #398: May 19, 2010, 09:35:30 PM »
Harper will be loved by the fans of the team that drafts him, and hated by fans elsewhere. Then he will go to another team, and be despised by fans of the team that drafts him.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #399: May 19, 2010, 10:41:35 PM »
Harper will be loved by the fans of the team that drafts him, and hated by fans elsewhere. Then he will go to another team, and be despised by fans of the team that drafts him.
this.