Author Topic: Diablo III  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Diablo III
« Reply #25: April 22, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »
I believe it defaults to enabling p2p. :?

Yep, it uses bit torrent I believe.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #26: April 22, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »
I have never played a Diablo game.  :bag:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #27: April 22, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
You can start playing before it finishes downloading?  What sorcery is this?! :shock:

WoW does the same thing.  It always seemed very laggy though.  Might work on D3 since its a smaller world and less players it has to render at a time.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #28: April 22, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »
So when this battle tag thing goes fully non-beta live, does it replace the nick I was already using for other Blizzard games (like SC2?)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #29: April 23, 2012, 03:25:55 AM »
In limited action so far, I have to say that Diablo 3 is pretty freakin' bueno.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #30: April 24, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »
This sucks. I was gone all weekend so I didn't get a chance to experience the Open Beta...

How is it?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #31: April 24, 2012, 02:50:48 PM »
Sean Burnett?  :lol:

That is so what I'd name a fire sorc.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #32: April 24, 2012, 03:37:10 PM »
Maxed a wizard to level 13, ran a barb to 9, finished the beta on that guy too.  Still have to try monk, demon hunger, and witch doctor.  Witch doctor seems pretty sweet, I think they summon like a necro.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #33: April 24, 2012, 05:43:44 PM »
Maxed a wizard to level 13, ran a barb to 9, finished the beta on that guy too.  Still have to try monk, demon hunger, and witch doctor.  Witch doctor seems pretty sweet, I think they summon like a necro.

Necro's and Druids were my classes so I may have to be a Witch Doctor. I followed D2's suit into wow when I created a Druid as my first main and then a Warlock as my second/current main.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #34: April 24, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »
I'll probably just be my usual sorcbot self and go with the Wizard, but the Monk sounds pretty fun as well.

Compared to what?  D1 and D2?  I never really played D2, so I'm not that familiar with the art style there, but D3's art style doesn't look that drastically different from D1 to me.  A bit more color maybe, but it still feels like a dark crawler from what I've seen.  Granted I haven't played it myself yet.

I played D2 religiously, and the graphics look very different to me.  Diablo 2 had this really distinct 2D-ish style that looked like a very lifelike moving painting or something, while D3 looks very 3D and like something from a gaming console.

It's not bad at all, just different.  Although I'm sure it'll be a quick adjustment.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #35: April 24, 2012, 06:34:51 PM »
It looks very cartoony to me, yet dark.  Not sure how to explain it.  Did you play the beta?  It kind of does look like a painting or something, I like it.  I'll take some screenshots if I figure out how and post them in a bit.

CMD, the witch doctor seems like a combo of the necromancer, Druid, and even a lock from WoW.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #36: April 24, 2012, 06:39:20 PM »

Offline Nathan

« Reply #37: April 24, 2012, 06:50:07 PM »
Something like this one:
http://www.sabrewulf.net/d3/Diablo%20III%202012-04-22%2021-58-16-62.png

But seeing it static doesn't do it justice.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #38: April 24, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »
CMD, the witch doctor seems like a combo of the necromancer, Druid, and even a lock from WoW.

:az:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #39: April 24, 2012, 07:20:50 PM »
So we're all making Nats characters and playing together, yeah?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #40: April 24, 2012, 09:05:17 PM »
Ran a demon hunter up to level 8, and beating the beta.  It was REALLY weak and I was having a hard time finding one hand crossbows so I was using the original one I got to start with 3.0 dps.  Finally after multiple fails trying to clear out a crypt, I joined a public game for that quest do I could stay back and let them take the damage.

Still no drops but a fellow demon hunter noticed the vendor had some, got 2 at 17.6 dps each plus some poison damage.  From a single 3.0 dps to dual wield 17.6 dps magic bows made juuuust a bit of a difference :lol:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #41: April 24, 2012, 09:21:31 PM »
Does it feel like the old games?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #42: April 24, 2012, 09:36:54 PM »
Does it feel like the old games?

Yeah, a lot of similar things.  But some cool new things like crafting.  Also, just like in D2, you have skills bound to left and right click, but in addition you have 4 different types of skills bound to 1234.  For instance my wizard has frost nova as 1, arcane tornados as 2, your "free" spells are left click, and the main spells are right click.

The 3 and 4 types of spells don't unlock on beta.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #43: April 25, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
Ok, played a Witch Doctor, "KingDiamond," from 1-13 last night.  I've always like the mage type class.  Played a sorc in D2.  A mage has been my main in WoW for years.  So my first D3 class for the beta was the wizard.  But when D3 gold releases?  I'm 95% sure I'll be making a Witch Doctor first.

Your first first freebie spell (not really, it's 4 mana, but regen is fast enough that you can use it forever without ever going OOM) is poison blow darts.  Kind of meh, but whatever.  But when you unlock the splinters rune for it it shoots 3 at a time, each doing 50% weapon damage plus poisoning the mob.

The second free spell is freakING SPIDERS.  You throw a jar filled with spiders, when it hits the ground it breaks and the spiders come out and attack the nearest enemies.  Just chain cast and it's like that Arachnophobia movie.  Mobs are like OMFG SPIDERS E'RYWHERE!

The third you get in beta is frog plague.  Releases 3 frogs that hop toward enemies and do damage, I think they explode too, didn't use it too much.  Poison darts with splinters rune seems the best for beta.

The "1" key spell you get is these demon dog things, it summons 3 of them that stay until they die, doing DPS and tanking.  One of the first passive ability you can get gives a chance on a mob dying for a demon dog to spawn (if you have less than 3), so you don't have to recast very often.  There is a fear that I believe is also a "1" spell, but I like the dogs.

The first "2" spell you get is a targeted AoE snare with a DoT component.  It looks cool as crap, the ground is all green and these zombie arms come up from the area flailing around.  The second one you get is OK, it steals life energy from surrounding mobs and grants you int, but I like the zombie arms better.

One of the early right click spells you get is firebats.  Looks like the dude is spitting thousands of bats that are on fire out of his mouth, and it's a conal AoE.  You can rune it so it's just one huge bat that goes further, but I feel the un-runed version is better for AoEing down packs of trash mobs.

One of the final abilities you get in beta, and what I really love and sold me on the WD is Haunt.  It looks cool, like two spirits barrel rolling around each other as it flies toward its target.  And what it does is freaking awesome.  575% weapon damage over 12 seconds.  Pretty beast, right?  But it gets better.  If the target dies while under the effect of Haunt, the spirits come out of the body and fly to a nearby mob and haunts it!  So haunt up a bunch of mobs in a pack and start darting them, spirits flying through the air, destruction!

The WD is very warlock-y from WoW, it doesn't have the big numbers and big chunks of health dropping from a mob every few seconds like a wizard, but instead it's just like a steady drain of the health bar, lots of little numbers coming really fast.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #44: April 25, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »
Hopefully the spiders don't look too realistic  :couch:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #45: April 25, 2012, 04:59:11 PM »
Yeah, I don't use the spider spell too much :lol:

:couch:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #46: April 30, 2012, 01:15:54 AM »
:lmao:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #47: April 30, 2012, 08:44:52 AM »
One of the final abilities you get in beta, and what I really love and sold me on the WD is Haunt.  It looks cool, like two spirits barrel rolling around each other as it flies toward its target.  And what it does is freaking awesome.  575% weapon damage over 12 seconds.  Pretty beast, right?  But it gets better.  If the target dies while under the effect of Haunt, the spirits come out of the body and fly to a nearby mob and haunts it!  So haunt up a bunch of mobs in a pack and start darting them, spirits flying through the air, destruction!

:doh: I didin't really get that one so I didn't use it.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #48: April 30, 2012, 11:15:28 AM »
The haunt feature sounds cool. I really liked how Necromancers in D2 could possess creatures and have them fight for you. That was so awesome.

Lol funny story in D2. I remember thinking that iron golems would some how benefit from stats depending on the item you summoned them from... so I decided to summon one from an IK chest piece. I was so dumb as a kid.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #49: May 01, 2012, 11:12:32 AM »
Not trying to troll because I think most Diablo fans probably enjoy or would enjoy the Torchlight series as well, but Torchlight II is available now for pre-order on Steam for $19.99 ( :shock: )

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710/

Main difference that I know of from the first game is that it now includes multiplayer, but I'm sure there are other differences as well