Author Topic: Android Thread  (Read 43702 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: Android Thread
« Reply #125: March 04, 2012, 09:29:49 PM »
All I care about is having something that will read PDFs, I could really give a crap about the rest.

Well, PDFs bring to mind Adobe Flash. You can read PdFs on anything, so honestly, I'd say go the cheapest route and get a fire. But another Android advantage, for some insane reason, Apple will never, ever apparently support Flash on iPads. Android? Not so much. I give Apple major props for being the first to release a tablet and taking a huge chance, and enjoyed it for years. But they limit their products so god damn much, and Android is a decent tablet OS in itself with tons of apps. I just don't see a reason to get an iPad over Android unless price were a factor, and since its Apple we are talking about, Android Tablets will always win the price war too. People will buy iPads because they are the "it" thing to own and to look cool and brag, but Android, and particularly the Transformer Prime or Fire depending on your usage, are the only logical tablet purchases on the marketplace today imarketplace

Unless you own nothing but Apple products, a Mac, iPhone, Air, Apple printer, etc. It drove me freaking nuts that I couldn't print to my HP printer on my iPad, and Apples only solution was buy an overpriced and under functioning Apple printer or go blow. Crap like that is why the iPad will always be inferior now that there are competitors on the tablet marketplace, and well designed hardware and software wise ones. Apple just has to control too damn much. Same goes for apps in the marketplace, everything having to be g-rated and family friendly. Give me some hardcore pictures apps and at least the choice to buy them, I don't need mommy Apple telling me what to buy. It's like GTA3. I've been enjoying replaying that on my Transformer Prime. Good luck ever having Apple approve such a despicable game for the iTunes app marketplace. There are so many advantages to Android over iOS, and most importantly, so few areas where iOS has some functionality or ability Android does not. Like the keyboard halfsmokes posted as an alternative to the Transformer laptop dock. Its a halfassed Bluetooth third party solution without the mouse finger pad functionality. And its Bluetooth, not a hard connection docked to the tablet. For the time being, there are so few advantages to the iPad, and so many areas were the best Apple can do is a half assed solution to try and copy an Android feature. Siri is probably the lone advantage where Android doesn't even compete, and as was posted, even that's coming soon. Right now the iPad still doesn't even have Siri.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #126: March 04, 2012, 09:30:13 PM »
TIL that Apple still makes printers.

And for all the Prime's great specs, it only slightly bests the iPad 2 on benchmarks like Sunspider and Browser Mark and is 30-50% faster on GLBenchmark (tests the GPU).  Hmm.

i print from my iPad to my HP printer, there are a lot of printers now that support AirPrint.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #127: March 04, 2012, 09:31:58 PM »
I've got about 3,000 Wiley technical PDFs I need access to without dragging my laptop around.  At this point I think I might just bite the bullet and get a 13" MacBook Air.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #128: March 04, 2012, 09:33:10 PM »
[way too much writing]

Dude, three sentences max, no one is reading all of that rambling nonsense.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #129: March 04, 2012, 09:35:32 PM »
I've got about 3,000 Wiley technical PDFs I need access to without dragging my laptop around.  At this point I think I might just bite the bullet and get a 13" MacBook Air.

i have one of those, absolutely love it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #130: March 04, 2012, 09:38:02 PM »
i have one of those, absolutely love it.

I'd like to get the 11" but it's just too small.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #131: March 04, 2012, 09:39:38 PM »
[...] Same goes for apps in the marketplace, everything having to be g-rated and family friendly. Give me some hardcore pictures apps and at least the choice to buy them, I don't need mommy Apple telling me what to buy. It's like GTA3. I've been enjoying replaying that on my Transformer Prime. Good luck ever having Apple approve such a despicable game for the iTunes app marketplace.

Just an FYI, I browse plenty of sites and watch plenty of videos on my iPhone from less than G rated genres.

Also, GTA3 is $4.99 in the App Store.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grand-theft-auto-3/id479662730?mt=8

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #132: March 05, 2012, 05:52:09 AM »
Beam reader reads pdfs.  Believe its a free app

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #133: March 09, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »
Like I said earlier, ASUS Transformer Prime. In regards to others comments on specs, ASUS Transformer destroys iPad2, and probably will be a tossup with the 3. But the ability to turn it totally into a laptop with the keyboard dock, even with the pad to control a mouse.... Transformer Prime is THE best tablet out right now, and almost certainly will be when the new iPad comes out.

But between Fire and iPad3? That's laughable if cost isn't a huge issue, iPad3. Hardware destroys the Fire + screen size.

The Prime is sweet, only problem is that I'm stuck using my slow old laptop while my kids play Rip Tide and the other games.  I'm going to have to root it so that I can hide apps like GTA and any other shooters I download.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #134: March 16, 2012, 01:31:13 PM »
Question for the Androiders here...

My Droid LG Optimus Slider doesn't have a lot of memory in the phone itself. No problem, a 16GB microSD card fixes that. Right?

I'm getting a low memory alert, but, it seems many apps that I have added (and some crap that came preinstalled) must reside on the phone and cannot be moved to the card. Am I missing something?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #135: March 16, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »
I think that on earlier versions of Droid that was a un-fixable problem. I haven't been able to find proof-positive on the interwebz, but I think your operating system has to be 1.6 or later.

This is an interesting free app that might help.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd&hl=en
Question for the Androiders here...

My Droid LG Optimus Slider doesn't have a lot of memory in the phone itself. No problem, a 16GB microSD card fixes that. Right?

I'm getting a low memory alert, but, it seems many apps that I have added (and some crap that came preinstalled) must reside on the phone and cannot be moved to the card. Am I missing something?

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #136: March 16, 2012, 04:09:10 PM »
Just a plug, I'm in love with my new Motorola DROID4.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #137: March 20, 2012, 10:20:30 AM »
Just a plug, I'm in love with my new Motorola DROID4.

Just got mine and it's def a passionate love affair going on here too. Went from BB so it's a huge life change....

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #138: March 20, 2012, 10:23:17 AM »
Went from BB so it's a huge life change....

You really need to get out more. :mg:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #139: March 20, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »
Anyone heard of problems with the Droid Charge randomly turning itself off? It could just be that the batter sits a little loose or something, but trying to research the problem doesn't work -- Googling "Droid Charge shutting off" brings back results for droids with charging problems.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #140: March 22, 2012, 04:37:34 PM »
You really need to get out more. :mg:

That's where baseball comes in!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #141: March 22, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »
Anyone heard of problems with the Droid Charge randomly turning itself off? It could just be that the batter sits a little loose or something, but trying to research the problem doesn't work -- Googling "Droid Charge shutting off" brings back results for droids with charging problems.

My HTC Droid Incredible 2 had to be replaced about a month ago because the battery stopped holding a charge. :shrug:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #142: April 08, 2012, 06:55:47 PM »
What cool new android phones are on the horizon?  My contract with AT&T is up in July and I'll probably switch back to Verizon, and if there isn't an awesome new iPhone out by then, I'll be getting an android phone.

It might have to happen sooner than later, my iPhone has been going to crap with the battery lately.  I've been listening to gameday audio today, C&D and then other broadcasts since about 4 o'clock, now at 7 it's down to 40% battery remaining.  Even on a normal day, it's been getting below 80% after about 10 hours, most of it standby.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #143: April 08, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »
unless you determined to ditch att, give the lumia 900 a shot- it may be the best bang for the buck since it's so heavily subsized

Offline Nathan

« Reply #144: April 08, 2012, 07:10:49 PM »
unless you determined to ditch att, give the lumia 900 a shot- it may be the best bang for the buck since it's so heavily subsized

Not a fan of Windows Phone, though.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #145: May 07, 2012, 08:38:38 PM »
My iPhone needs replaced now that it stopped working properly.  What get?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #146: May 07, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »
The Droid 4 has terrible battery life, but it's heavy and inconvenient.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #147: May 07, 2012, 09:48:50 PM »

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #148: May 07, 2012, 10:17:38 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

That's what I want. Waiting for it to come down in price a little. It will hopefully happen when the Galaxy III comes out

Offline Nathan

« Reply #149: May 08, 2012, 06:29:16 PM »
Got a Galaxy Nexus, they're $199 now btw.  What are some must have apps for Android?