Author Topic: Magic Number: Angelos can suck it and like it  (Read 27735 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: 2012 Playoff Invoices
« Reply #25: June 24, 2012, 11:10:18 AM »
Did I write "at least doubled on average"?  Well this guy had his $13 a game seats increase to $79 per playoff game, and his location was moved five sections further away from the action.  This sort of treatment of long time Nats fans who have been loyal during the 100 loss seasons is an absolute outrage, it's just not right.

http://www.natsatbat.com/2005/09/

Holy moley - 6-fold increase???

[If I recall aright, the total tab for playoff tickets in my seat - rear half, section 311 (definitely not TBSITH in that time and place) - amounted to about half of my total season-ticket bill for 2006.]

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #26: June 24, 2012, 11:17:47 AM »
Holy moley - 6-fold increase???

[If I recall aright, the total tab for playoff tickets in my seat - rear half, section 311 (definitely not TBSITH in that time and place) - amounted to about half of my total season-ticket bill for 2006.]

There was a comment on one of the blogs that a $30 ticket was increased to $110, so the percentage of increase was not the same for all price levels, in any case don't expect any hometown discounts.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #27: June 24, 2012, 11:27:39 AM »
There was a comment on one of the blogs that a $30 ticket was increased to $110, so the percentage of increase was not the same for all price levels, in any case don't expect any hometown discounts.

Not expecting any - I've already been through this with Capitals season tickets. It's 'all the traffic will bear'.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: June 24, 2012, 03:37:37 PM »
Call your ticket rep and ask? :shrug:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #29: June 24, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »

Yeah, and three other posters here will ask their reps and we'll get four different answers.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #30: June 24, 2012, 04:38:30 PM »
Playoff tickets in any of the 'Big Four' pro sports leagues: if you have to ask how much they cost, you can't afford them.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #31: July 24, 2012, 10:16:06 PM »
This article gives a good overview of what postseason tickets cost at various parks in 2010:

Prices for the first-round Division Series typically start at or slightly above a team's regular season rates, then ramp up from there. Singe-game tickets range from $6 for an obstructed view bleacher seat for the first game at Yankee Stadium to $475 for a possible World Series box seat at Target Field. (The top prices don't include suites and other prime tickets not available to the general public.) That same $6 bleacher becomes $51 if the Bombers reach the final round.

That assumes, of course, that the team will even deign to sell them to you. Every club has a complicated registration procedure that must be mastered first in order to secure the right to buy the tickets. Current season ticket holders are obviously given preference, then, depending on the size of the stadium and the team's popularity, a lottery determines who else gets to buy tickets and when. Enter early and often.

The other issue you'll face is that most postseason tickets are sold in strips that give you admission to the entire postseason--a maximum of 10 home games for American League teams or 11 for the National League, which has the home-field advantage for the World Series this year. The cost of unneeded tickets are refunded, but teams often require a full up-front payment when ordering, so believing in the future of your team does not come cheap. Plus, the best (or sometimes only) way to secure those strips is to also plunk down a deposit for next year's full season ticket packages. Doing so usually allows you to skip to the front of the line, but that's an extra $1,000 or more just for the honor of spending more money on baseball.

Minnesota Twins (Target Field)

Full Postseason Strip: $665-$4,160
Cheapest Seat: $30
(Grandstand, ALDS)
Most Expensive: $475
(Champion's Club, World Series; includes food!)
Capacity: 41,000

Texas Rangers (Rangers Ballpark at Arlington)

Full Postseason Strip: $569-$1,423
(Grandstand Reserve, ALDS)
Most Expensive: $125
(VIP Infield, ALDS; Individual WS games not listed)
Capacity: 51,548

Tampa Bay Rays (Tropicana Field)

Full Postseason Strip: $532-$2,313
(Upper Reserved, ALDS)
Most Expensive: $215
(Whitney Bank Club, ALDS; Individual WS games not listed)
Capacity: 43,772 (For Playoffs)

New York Yankees (Yankee Stadium)

Full Postseason Strip: $204-$4,010
Cheapest Seat: $6
(Obstructed View Bleachers for the ALDS)
Most Expensive Seat: $456
(Field Level, Row 12, World Series)
Capacity: 52,325

Philadelphia Phillies (Citizens Bank Park)

Full Postseason Strip: $1,110-$1,695
Cheapest Seat: $50
(Terrace Deck, NLDS)
Most Expensive: $225
(Field Level, World Series)
Capacity: 43,647

Cincinnati Reds (Great American Ballpark)

Full Postseason Strip: $450-$3,580
(Standing Room Only, NLDS)
Most Expensive: $400
(Diamond Club, World Series)
Capacity: 42,271

Atlanta Braves (Turner Field)

NLDS Strip: $60-$240
(Tickets are sold round-by-round, pricing for NLCS and WS unavailable)
Cheapest Seat: $20
(Upper Pavilion, NLDS)
Most Expensive: $80
(Hank Aaron Seats)
Capacity: 50,097

San Francisco Giants (AT&T Park)

NLDS Strip: $105-$525
Cheapest Seat: $35
(Standing Room Only)
Most Expensive: $175
(Premium Field Club)
Capacity: 41,915

San Diego Padres (Petco Park)

NLDS Strip: $42-$198
Cheapest Seat: $14
(Bleachers, Obstructed View)
Most Expensive: $66
(Field Box Infield)
Capacity: 42,445

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/what-it-costs-to-get-into-mlb-playoff-games-2010-9?op=1#ixzz21b2obdnc

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #32: July 24, 2012, 10:28:19 PM »
This article gives a good overview of what postseason tickets cost at various parks in 2010:

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/what-it-costs-to-get-into-mlb-playoff-games-2010-9?op=1#ixzz21b2obdnc

Thanks, I've been meaning to bump this thread to see if anyone had any info from their reps.  Certainly the full season plan holders are certain to get tickets, I'm really curious to see what they do for the partial plan holders, and to see how many extra tickets they make available for full season plan holders.  Kids can kiss their college fund money for this year goodbye.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #33: July 24, 2012, 10:49:14 PM »
What kind of prices does a non-season ticket holder who isn't buying the tickets from the Nats going to have to pay for a seat in the playoffs?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #34: July 24, 2012, 10:56:02 PM »
What kind of prices does a non-season ticket holder who isn't buying the tickets from the Nats going to have to pay for a seat in the playoffs?

Based on the current attendance numbers the playoff games appear to be likely to sell out so that resale prices will be very high, $30-50 to get in the door, but there are major unknown factors such as what will happen if the weather gets cold early or if the Nats fall behind in the series or if the start times are late that could keep prices down.  Another factor is that the Nats always limit ticket sales in order to drive demand, so the scalpers will buy up a bunch of tickets early and then get stuck as more tickets become available, this has happened for opening day where resale prices have been half of face value.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: July 25, 2012, 07:51:27 AM »

I'm budgeting ~$750 to take my daughter to one game per round, but I'm thinking that'll end up being low

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #36: July 25, 2012, 09:45:53 AM »
As long is the game is on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, I'll 99% be flying to Washington DC to see the first playoff game in Washington Nationals history. It'll be a legitimate once in a lifetime experience. Hopefully it is this season.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #37: July 25, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
My experience buying playoff tickets (elsewhere, obviously) as a non-ST holder:

I was a college student in Chicago when the White Sox went to the playoffs in 2005. I was able to buy ALDS tickets online by signing onto Ticketmaster.com at the exact moment they started selling seats, and repeated the feat for Game 1 of the ALCS. It absolutely helped that I was on a university internet connection, which was much faster than what most consumers have at home. Game 2 of the ALCS, I got shut out and had to get tickets from a wealthy friend whose dad had season tickets.

World Series? Forget about it: Ticketmaster's website crashed within seconds. A week before Game 1, the cheapest ticket was selling on the secondary market for maybe $700. This was in the nosebleeds. I figured I would wait and that prices would go down. I was wrong, prices got higher and higher as the game came closer. I ended up paying four digits for a seat literally in the last row of the upper deck, obstructed view behind a pillar, but it was worth it and I would do it again. I later heard that by the 3rd inning or so, you could get tickets really cheap from scalpers outside the park. Like only $100.

From what I understand, a lot of MLB teams will hold "lotteries" for single ticket postseason sales. This means that you can't rely on your good timing and your fast internet connection to get you a seat: you have to win a lottery.

Offline bud

« Reply #38: July 25, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »

That's a good idea.  I also think flex plan holders should get precedence over the general public.  Of course, I am biased on that one. :D

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #39: July 25, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »
any chance I will be able to get tickets for under $100?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #40: July 25, 2012, 03:41:27 PM »

Only if you bring your kneepads.

Offline 114D

« Reply #41: July 25, 2012, 03:51:02 PM »
I am pretty surprised to hear that I wouldn't be guaranteed my seats for World Series.  Because I'd better get my seats for World Series.  Will be super-super-super upset if Nats made WS and I was forced to 300 level.  FYI my prediction would be about double the price of whatever a non-STH premium game price is for your seats.  So for the $60 dugout seats that's $200.  Sounds about right.  I remember getting some basic info about playoffs in 2005 but not an invoice -- nothing like an invoice at all.  Could be wrong.

Edit: looked around on other websites and I feel confident that the vast majority of full-season STHs will be able to purchase their seat locations for the World Series.  Reds and Giants guarantee it 100%.  Cardinals almost guarantee it.  Yankees basically say we'll do whatever we can that's reasonable to get you your seats but MLB controls.  Those are the only 3 I looked at.  BTW our STH benefits suck -- except of course for Red Carpet Rewards.  But if that gets removed or reduced, I want a whole slew of stuff like access to the field for batting practice, private autograph sessions, etc. like other teams.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #42: July 25, 2012, 04:26:07 PM »
That's a good idea.  I also think flex plan holders should get precedence over the general public.  Of course, I am biased on that one. :D

As a flex plan holder you will receive emails about when tickets will go on sale to the general population, that's about it.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #43: July 25, 2012, 04:29:19 PM »

Yes, playoff demand is expected to be sky high, but that is not a given. You will also be able to buy tickets the morning of the games when the team releases the remaining handicapped seats.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #44: July 25, 2012, 04:30:01 PM »
As a flex plan holder you will receive emails about when tickets will go on sale to the general population, that's about it.

Maybe, but I'm going to laugh my ass of if they screw full plan holders by including the right to purchase playoff tickets with late season flex plans (something I could definitely see them doing)

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #45: July 25, 2012, 06:36:01 PM »
I am pretty surprised to hear that I wouldn't be guaranteed my seats for World Series.  Because I'd better get my seats for World Series.  Will be super-super-super upset if Nats made WS and I was forced to 300 level.  FYI my prediction would be about double the price of whatever a non-STH premium game price is for your seats.  So for the $60 dugout seats that's $200.  Sounds about right.  I remember getting some basic info about playoffs in 2005 but not an invoice -- nothing like an invoice at all.  Could be wrong.

Edit: looked around on other websites and I feel confident that the vast majority of full-season STHs will be able to purchase their seat locations for the World Series.  Reds and Giants guarantee it 100%.  Cardinals almost guarantee it.  Yankees basically say we'll do whatever we can that's reasonable to get you your seats but MLB controls.  Those are the only 3 I looked at.

Interesting that the Cardinals would 'almost guarantee' WS seats since historically they have always drawn well and probably have a large STH base to boot...the Yankees remark makes more sense since not only do they in all likelihood have a large STH base but there are also a lot of corporate mucketymucks who would no doubt love extra tickets (that would quite likely be the case here too, with all the VIP's in this town). What a lot of it probably gets down to is how much of the total stadium capacity is requisitioned by the Commissioner's office, set against the size of the STH/PPH base.

BTW our STH benefits suck -- except of course for Red Carpet Rewards.  But if that gets removed or reduced, I want a whole slew of stuff like access to the field for batting practice, private autograph sessions, etc. like other teams.

Nats average attendance is now over 30k this season (best since Year 1 at RFK if this holds up); we haven't drawn less than 25k since the Padres series (14th-15th May). Not sure as yet if this has led to really large-scale growth in the STH/PPH base, but if there really is major growth in that base I could easily see some STH benefits (like RCR 'upgrading' to Presidents or Diamond Club, or Stars and Stripes Club passes) becoming limited to certain classes of STH or even phased out altogether - there just won't be enough to go around (remember that those RCR Presidents/Diamond 'upgrades' became fully subscribed as of two weeks ago - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=26884.msg1072242;topicseen#msg1072242).

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #46: July 25, 2012, 06:39:12 PM »
Maybe, but I'm going to laugh my ass of if they screw full plan holders by including the right to purchase playoff tickets with late season flex plans (something I could definitely see them doing)

As far as I'm aware, flex plan holders have never received any added benefits other than the free game and a hat/ornament, they're the ugly step child of plan holders.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #47: July 25, 2012, 07:46:45 PM »
As far as I'm aware, flex plan holders have never received any added benefits other than the free game and a hat/ornament, they're the ugly step child of plan holders.

true, but usually, late in the season, they trow all kinds of inducements to sell what ever inventory they have left

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #48: July 25, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
As long is the game is on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, I'll 99% be flying to Washington DC to see the first playoff game in Washington Nationals history. It'll be a legitimate once in a lifetime experience. Hopefully it is this season.

Where do you live?

Offline santanaf

« Reply #49: July 25, 2012, 09:30:54 PM »
Where do you live?

Mars, but it's totally worth it.