Author Topic: Following the Minor League Teams (2010)  (Read 87112 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Following the Minor League Teams (2010)
« Reply #100: April 17, 2010, 01:04:43 PM »
Not sure he'll get to Potomac this year. I can see the Nats treating him like they have Burgess or Norris. Give him a full season to show he's ready and then promote him to Potomac for the 2011 season. He's still young enough that it would make sense to do that

That's a good point.  I was saying if he was really raking by then, there may be a chance, but you're right he could very well stay in Harrisburg the rest of the season.

And updates on Taylor Jordan, Bradley Meyers, Derek Norris and Danny Espinosa?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #101: April 17, 2010, 01:10:17 PM »
And updates on Taylor Jordan, Bradley Meyers, Derek Norris and Danny Espinosa?

Or AJ Morris?  Its hard to find good information on these guys injuries.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #102: April 17, 2010, 01:13:57 PM »
Or AJ Morris?  Its hard to find good information on these guys injuries.

AJ Morris off the DL and scheduled to start the second game for the P-Nats tonight (after they complete the rain suspended game)

Offline blue911

« Reply #103: April 17, 2010, 04:01:46 PM »
Sounds to me like he's not a blue-chip guy, but he could develop into a solid contributor off the bench. Not a regular starter, but a utility guy.

Sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #104: April 18, 2010, 01:34:16 AM »
In addition to my boy Hood, it was a good night for Marrero and Burgess.  

Marrero: 2-for-4 with a homer and a double.  He's batting .297.

Burgess: 3-for-5 with a double and a rbi.  He's batting .314 with just 5 k's vs. 4 walks.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #105: April 18, 2010, 04:49:34 PM »
Danny Rosenbaum is building off the success he had last year in GCL and is making an early season case for dark horse prospect of the year.  With his performance today his numbers look like this:

17.1 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 18 SO

Too bad the Hagerstown bullpen has ruined two of his starts with some stinkers.  Also, Destin Hood is still mashing today, going 4 for 4 with 2 runs and a RBI.  If Hood continues to produce at this level, the Nats won't have any choice but to promote him to Potomac (and I'm sure Hammonds would be ecstatic).

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #106: April 18, 2010, 05:11:40 PM »
Say, what happened to Evan Bronson, that (I believe) 29th round pick last year who put up insane numbers?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #107: April 18, 2010, 05:18:05 PM »
Say, what happened to Evan Bronson, that (I believe) 29th round pick last year who put up insane numbers?

He pitched today for Potomac, 5.0 innings of scoreless ball.  He let up only 2 hits and issued only 1 walk on his way to picking up the win for the P-Nats.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #108: April 18, 2010, 05:32:43 PM »
Call up Bronson. He can't be any worse than Burnett as a LOOGY.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #109: April 19, 2010, 12:42:37 AM »
told y'all aboot destin hood :az:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #110: April 19, 2010, 12:48:09 AM »
I'm not sold.  1 BB vs. 14 K's going into today.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #111: April 19, 2010, 10:54:30 AM »
Batter of the Week - Destin Hood, RF, Hagerstown

After a week in which he had 5 multi-hit games, the 20-year-old Hood is finally starting to live up to the potential that prompted the Nationals to use their 2nd round pick on him in 2008. Just how good was Hood this week? Try 15 hits, 8 runs, and 6 RBI good. He even hit a deep ball against Lakewood for his first home run of the season and showed off his cannon of an arm by throwing out a runner at first on a ball hit to the outfield. Hood has an intimidating amount of power and is a threat to opposing teams as long as he is making contact, which remains the major flaw in his game. Hood, a former two-sport athlete who is still incredibly young and raw, has struggled with laying off of breaking balls in the dirt. In fact most of his 16 strikeouts have come on these types of pitches. His lack of patience at the plate has also resulted in a very low amount of walks throughout his professional career. For his entire career with the Nationals organization, he has drawn only 20 walks (in 200+ PA)! For the 2010 season, he has a 16:1 SO:BB ratio. While he has displayed great potential in the other areas of his game, this weakness will likely keep him Hagerstown for much of the year, because the Nationals are not going to let him face better pitchers until he improves his selectivity at the plate. But if his batting eye does improve, watch out, because this kid could be something special for the Nationals one day.

Pitcher of the Week - Luis Atilano, SP, Syracuse

Atilano had two starts this week and picked up the win in both of them. In 11.0 innings pitched, he let up 10 hits, 2 walks, and 2 earned runs. He struck out 9 batters. In his first start of the season, Atilano worked efficiently, only facing three batters more than the minimum. He had a bit more trouble in his second start, allowing 8 hits over 5 innings, but worked well out of jams and induced two double play balls that got him safely out of trouble. He kept the ball low in the strike zone and as a result ended the game with 8 groundouts vs. 3 flyouts. He has yet to face more than five batters in any inning he has pitched. Atilano, besides his spring debut, also pitched pretty well for the Nationals in spring training this year and Riggs noted that the Nationals were looking at Atilano to be a starting pitcher for them down the road. After two starts, Atilano leads Syracuse's starting pitchers in ERA, wins, and strikeouts. He is on the 40-man roster and could move himself up in the pecking order with some more starts like his first two of the season.

Runner-ups: Jeff Kobernus, J.P. Ramirez, Aaron Thompson

Top Prospect Watch

It looks like Michael Burgess probably made some offseason adjustments to his swing. There had been criticisms that his swing was too long and he would need to compact it more in order to cut down his strikeout percentage and to be able to survive higher level pitching. So far in 47 plate appearences, Burgess has struck out only five times, compared to his 135 strikeouts in 549 plate appearances last season. The power he has shown in previous seasons, though, appears to be missing. He has yet to hit a home run, but does have three doubles so far in the young minor league season.
    Drew Storen may find himself in the Washington bullpen very soon. Building off of his success in Harrisburg and Phoenix last year, Storen continues to dominate against minor league hitters. So far in four appearances, Storen has allowed only one hit and one walk while striking out five.
    Another high draft pick, Jeffery Kobernus, is starting to catch fire. The second baseman had a monster game (4 for 5 with a double and 2 RBIs) against Lakewood on Tuesday, including the hit that brought home the game winning run. He is hitting .357/.386/.405 for the season so far and may be in line for a quick promotion after missing the end of last season with an injury. There has been one problem area of his game, though. In four stolen base attempts, he has been caught three times.

Odds and Ends

- Pitcher Danny Rosenbaum, last week's pitcher of the week, continues to impress. He has allowed only a single earned run in his three starts. His ERA currently sits at 0.52 and his WHIP at 0.63.

- A.J. Morris made his Potomac debut after starting the season on the DL. He pitched 3 innings and let up 4 hits, 3 walks, and 1 earned run before reaching his pitch limit. Catcher Derek Norris also returned to action for the P-Nats.

- P-Nats relief pitcher Cole Kimball has pitched 7.1 scoreless innings thus far. He has only let up 3 hits and is hoping to have a bounce back year after a rough 2009 with Potomac.

- Converted starter Erik Arnesen is thriving in his new relief role. Arnesen's ERA stands at 0.90 after ten innings of relief work.

http://www.thenatsblog.com/federal-reserve/federal-reserve/hood-and-atilano-the-nats-blogs-minor-league-players-of-the-week.html

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #112: April 19, 2010, 11:57:37 AM »
Drew Storen pitched in Peoria?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #113: April 19, 2010, 12:02:17 PM »
Drew Storen pitched in Peoria?

In the fall league championship, though it is probably an error b/c the Nats team was in Phoenix this year and Peoria last season.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #114: April 19, 2010, 02:51:58 PM »
Anyone have a scouting report on Atilano?

I'm guessing by his numbers that he's a sinkerballer? Low K rate with lots of groundballs.

But, what does his fastball top out at? What other pitches does he feature? Etc. Etc.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #115: April 19, 2010, 02:58:39 PM »
I watched him pitch in a playoff game for the P-Nats a few years ago. Very heavy sinking fastball topping in the 90-91 range I would guess. Good slider that gets swings and misses.

You can see why he was a former 1st round pick. He has battled back nicely from TJ surgery.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #116: April 19, 2010, 03:09:56 PM »
I watched him pitch in a playoff game for the P-Nats a few years ago. Very heavy sinking fastball topping in the 90-91 range I would guess. Good slider that gets swings and misses.

You can see why he was a former 1st round pick. He has battled back nicely from TJ surgery.

I don't have much to add to this.  I've seen him pitch twice, he has a good two-seamer and has really good movement with his four-seamer.  He has a quick tempo on the mound and has good command of the strikezone.  The slider is the closest thing to an out pitch he has and while it worked well against High A batters, I don't know if I would consider it a MLB out pitch.  I don't remember what other pitches he throws, as I mostly only remember the sinker, four-seamer, and slider.  His mechanics are concerning to me and it is not surprising that he already has had TJ surgery, his elbow motion when he picks up the ball in his throwing motion presents the biggest risk.

Offline zoom

« Reply #117: April 19, 2010, 03:53:04 PM »
Is Mock hurt is he him going to the DL rather than the reporting to 'Cuse a way to refuse demotion?  It's on Brian's site.  (Farm Authority)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #118: April 19, 2010, 05:41:24 PM »
Is Mock hurt is he him going to the DL rather than the reporting to 'Cuse a way to refuse demotion?  It's on Brian's site.  (Farm Authority)
yes (hurt, MLB 15 day DL - neck problem.  Can't demote an injured player.  Bright side - does not burn option.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #119: April 19, 2010, 09:19:30 PM »
A. Thompson pitched a great game tonight 7 ip, 4 hits, 0 ER and 7 K's
D. Storen closed it out going 2 ip 1 hit, 1 ER and 3 K's

HARRISBURG GETS THE WIN...

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #120: April 19, 2010, 09:41:37 PM »
Anyone listen to the Hagerstown game tonight?  Hood got pulled after one at-bat and I am wondering what the reason was.  Hopefully not injury :?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #121: April 19, 2010, 09:43:19 PM »
Anyone listen to the Hagerstown game tonight?  Hood got pulled after one at-bat and I am wondering what the reason was.  Hopefully not injury :?

Don't tell hammonds that.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #122: April 19, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »
i noticed the boxscore ... please hood :pray: be okay.

love the aaron thompson line wow.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #123: April 19, 2010, 09:56:50 PM »
Ugh, Glenn Gibson just threw a wild pitch on an intentional walk in the 11th inning.  As a result, the Delmarva runner on 2nd base came all the way around to score the walk off run.  What a dagger.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #124: April 19, 2010, 09:57:47 PM »
Smoker had a good start tonight and although his ERA is not the greatest his 18 K's in 13 ip shows he still has the stuff. I think him and McGeary will both bounce back this year.