Author Topic: The '08 Olympics  (Read 3343 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: The '08 Olympics
« Reply #75: August 21, 2008, 10:23:54 PM »
Just goes to show that on any given day, any team can beat any other team, no matter how dominating!  :-[ That's why its a sport!

That's no excuse for not continuing.  They didn't drop swimming after Spitz won!  They didn't talk about dropping Gymnastics or ice skating after the Russian teams were so dominating.  They didn't drop Hockey when Russia won so often, so why softball.  There's a cool picture on nbcolympics.com that has both teams' picture taken together in front of a 2016 spelled out in Softballs!  I want that picture but its part of a slide presentation and I haven't figured out how to do that.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #76: August 21, 2008, 10:25:10 PM »
There's a cool picture on nbcolympics.com that has both teams' picture taken together in front of a 2016 spelled out in Softballs!  I want that picture but its part of a slide presentation and I haven't figured out how to do that.

print screen?

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #77: August 21, 2008, 10:26:52 PM »
Hadn't thought of that.  Hmm.  Maybe I'll give it a shot!

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #78: August 21, 2008, 10:28:17 PM »
Hadn't thought of that.  Hmm.  Maybe I'll give it a shot!

Thats what I do, at least, when I can't save or copy a picture.  Then I just crop it to the specifications I want in a picture editor.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #79: August 21, 2008, 10:39:40 PM »
That is a huge choke job. They talked about how the sport is not being picked up because they dominate so much.

I thought the decision to drop baseball and softball was made a few years ago, primarily because few countries play it, compared to other sports.  It was the USA, Great Britain and Japan & Cuba that primarily wanted them retained.

I still think that FARTING and BURPING should become Olympic events. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #80: August 21, 2008, 10:40:14 PM »
Strasburg VS Cuba at 6 AM EST Friday Morning. Should be a very good test for the young kid. Cuba has a very formidable team and I believe are favored to win gold.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #81: August 21, 2008, 10:41:30 PM »
I thought the decision to drop baseball and softball was made a few years ago, primarily because few countries play it, compared to other sports.  It was the USA, Great Britain and Japan that primarily wanted them retained.

They voted to end the permanent inclusion of baseball/softball.  From now on, prior to each olympics they will hold an IOC vote to determine if they will be included.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #82: August 21, 2008, 11:00:10 PM »
Hmm.  Lets See

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #83: August 25, 2008, 09:12:44 PM »
I agree w/ this; especially the first sentence:

"With the World Baseball Classic now in place, baseball as an Olympic sport is irrelavant. It may be interesting to see how the U.S., Cuba, Canada, Japan, and other leading countries perform on the Olympic stage, but the best players on the planet are not there, and for that reason, who wins the gold medal in Beijing doesn't matter."
— Dan Holmes