Author Topic: Fantasy Baseball 2008  (Read 20777 times)

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
Re: Fantasy Baseball 2008
« Reply #75: March 28, 2008, 10:33:08 PM »
11:30 sounds good to me. lets get it done.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #76: March 28, 2008, 10:33:48 PM »
I like getting the last pick in the first round. Two picks in a row is NICE. :D

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #77: March 28, 2008, 10:35:13 PM »
I've only done one live baseball draft, in CBS last year.  Anyone is welcome to open another window in ESPN, because it's not obvious how to set up a new draft time.  Referenda does NOT allow a vote on a time before Sunday, which by ESPN rules, might delay the start of the whole thing until Week 2.

I think I need to look at "setting up a new league" for the answer - it said it would try to start a draft in 5 minute increments if it was delayed.  It's not doing that.  No Help screen...  I sent a question to the ESPN Help desk for Live Draft issues. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #78: March 28, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »
I PM'd Metsucks and Spidernat just now (and Spidernat has been sent unsolicited invites, since he was in the Rotisserie league last year.  I don't think he liked it much.)   

For the record, maybe the reason spidernat didn't like it much was because he didn't even know he was in the league :rofl:  I don't think I signed up so if I was in it, it wasn't by choice. Having said that, I would've joined but as I told ronnynat I have never played so I wouldn't know where to start. But I'm glad you guys got the 10th player needed.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #79: March 28, 2008, 10:51:58 PM »
They don't tell you how to get a new draft time.  I copied and pasted this from ESPN:

WAITING FOR THE DRAFT TO START
After you successfully join a lobby league, your team name and info will appear on the page in bold. The league's draft start time is displayed in the middle of the page and on the countdown clock below it.

NOTE: In order for a Free Standard or Prize-Eligible league draft to move into drafting mode, all Open Slots must be filled before the listed draft start time. If open slots remain, try recruiting members to join via the message board or simply wait hoping the room will fill itself in time (the page automatically reloads itself every 30 seconds). Any live draft Lobby league (ESPN created league) that is not full before the draft start will have their draft time continually pushed back in five minute intervals until the league is filled.

NOTE: Once your draft has filled, it will convert once the scheduled time arrives.

STARTING THE DRAFT
If your league is full at the listed start time the lobby room page will automatically reload itself with a link to Launch Draft. On this view a JAVA area will appear. Click on the Load button to launch the java applet. You can also access the Lite Draft application on the Launch Draft page.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #80: March 28, 2008, 11:03:35 PM »
I FOUND the answer:

Q. Why did my Standard League not draft at the scheduled time?
A. In Standard Leagues, the draft will only take place once all 10 owners have joined. To set a new draft date/time, league members must vote in the league referenda. Please keep in mind that you will need at least 6 votes for each option for the change to be made.

Q. What happens if we draft after the season starts in an ESPN league?
A. Leagues drafting after the season begins will have results that includes play up until that point. In a Custom League, if a League Manager wishes to ignore the results, he/she would need to schedule the first X weeks as byes for all teams.

To pick a new day and time, you click on the calendar.  The EARLIEST time is 12:15 am SUNDAY.  It will NOT allow you to pick anything sooner (they must need to schedule it.)  But I think that may include the Nationals game in our stats.  I think ESPN changed its rules, based on the above.  They will be adding the stats for the Japan game for anyone who drafts those players.

What TIME on Sunday do you want to hold the Live Draft?  We then need SIX votes to make it happen?  I don't have tickets to the game, so anytime is fine with me.  Others may go early, or go to a church or brunch.  Just post what works for you.  If you WANT to do the draft at 12:15 AM Sunday, that's 15 minutes AFTER MIDNIGHT, that's okay with me!  Whatever works...
 :rofl:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #81: March 28, 2008, 11:07:02 PM »
If you WANT to do the draft at 12:15 AM Sunday, that's 15 minutes AFTER MIDNIGHT, that's okay with me!  Whatever works...
 :rofl:

That works for me as well. Let's see what others say.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #82: March 28, 2008, 11:07:18 PM »
I think I'm just gonna let it auto-draft for me, but let me know what time is good for everyone and I'll put in a vote.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #83: March 28, 2008, 11:10:02 PM »
1215 AM on Sunday works.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #84: March 28, 2008, 11:25:46 PM »
I'll vote as soon as I know everyone is cool w/ that time...ESPN is good at quickly skipping those that aren't at the draft, so no worries about that. It'd be better if more people were there, though.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #85: March 28, 2008, 11:26:16 PM »
1215 AM on Sunday works.

The NCAA games that start at 9:45 pm Sat may finish around that time.  The whole draft takes around 20 or 30 minutes doesn't it, ronnynat?

OKAY, I set up an answer on the Referenda Page (right side) for Draft Date: 3/30/08 12:15 am.  It shows 1 vote of 6 needed to set that date.  It's here:

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/referenda?leagueId=135043

I guess Spidernat wasn't in the Rotisserie league as I thought.  CBS erases all the data, so I couldn't look anything up.  The Chief, 2k6nats, NOTL and I think Sportsfan were in that one.  It was too hard for anyone in the bottom third to move up, as the season progressed.  In the Head-to-Head league, I think 12 winning weeks and 10 losses got you into the playoffs.
 :shock:

Offline eckseid

« Reply #86: March 28, 2008, 11:35:45 PM »
Ok I voted, I'll try an be around.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #87: March 28, 2008, 11:38:39 PM »
4 votes now

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #88: March 29, 2008, 12:00:25 AM »
I voted, but I don't care if I'm autodrafted.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #89: March 29, 2008, 12:16:25 AM »
Hi guys!

I'm in.  My team is the "Helena Handbaskets"  I will probably set up an autodraft during the day tomorrow, and I'll be ready even if I am not available Sunday at 12:15 am eastern time.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #90: March 29, 2008, 12:39:21 AM »
I sent an ESPN League email to all managers, telling them about the proposed new time of Sunday 12:15 am, and the need to get 6 votes for it to make it happen.  Otherwise the draft is delayed until there are 6 votes for some particular day and time.  Somebody posted an April 5 draft time at 12 pm; anyone could have used the link above, but I don't know if anyone can vote, if they're not a manager. 

Half of our managers are from outside the DC area: Miami, Nebraska, Buffalo, Richmond, and is our Nationals/White Sox fan actually in Helena, Montana?

So we have all of Saturday to pre-rank players.  I have a very large Excel spreadsheet I created today from top hitters in each of the 2007 scoring categories; I could email it to anyone.  I just copied the stats from ESPN rather than click on page after page.  I haven't looked at pitchers at all; you never know about them anyway.  Hopefully the Nationals' pitchers will excel in 2008.

:pray:

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #91: March 29, 2008, 12:54:18 AM »
12:15 am sounds good to me... :thumbs:

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #92: March 29, 2008, 01:47:06 AM »
I sent an ESPN League email to all managers, telling them about the proposed new time of Sunday 12:15 am, and the need to get 6 votes for it to make it happen.  Otherwise the draft is delayed until there are 6 votes for some particular day and time.  Somebody posted an April 5 draft time at 12 pm; anyone could have used the link above, but I don't know if anyone can vote, if they're not a manager. 

Half of our managers are from outside the DC area: Miami, Nebraska, Buffalo, Richmond, and is our Nationals/White Sox fan actually in Helena, Montana?

So we have all of Saturday to pre-rank players.  I have a very large Excel spreadsheet I created today from top hitters in each of the 2007 scoring categories; I could email it to anyone.  I just copied the stats from ESPN rather than click on page after page.  I haven't looked at pitchers at all; you never know about them anyway.  Hopefully the Nationals' pitchers will excel in 2008.

:pray:

Nah, I'm in the south suburbs of Chicago.  I just like to be a smartass with my team names!  ;)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #93: March 29, 2008, 03:00:11 AM »

That time will work out very well for me.  Hopefully there's no overtime in the basketball games and also that I don't forget about it.  Eeekk.  I'm looking forward to it though.

I've done some pre-ranking, but I wouldn't mind a copy of that spreadsheet if you don't mind, I'd really appreciate that. 

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #94: March 29, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »
I voted for it but won't make it. If I read it right, that should be the sixth vote.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #95: March 29, 2008, 11:01:14 AM »
I voted for it but won't make it. If I read it right, that should be the sixth vote.

It went through. The draft is now set for tonight at 12:15 AM.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #96: March 29, 2008, 11:04:30 AM »
That draft is fine with me.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #97: March 29, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »
Since the NCAA tournament is now in the 4th round, the late game tonight is scheduled earlier, I think at 9:05 pm ET, which means it may end around 11:30 pm ET.  The 12:15 am Sunday Draft Order is supposed to be posted at 11:15 pm Saturday.  I assume the Draft Room will appear on the site then, which ronnynat can confirm, since he's been through an ESPN draft this year. 

Our own knowledge of the Nationals gives us better ideas about their rankings, particularly Nick Johnson, Ronnie Belliard, outfielders and all pitchers.  ESPN's top 40 or so are not bad choices, but as you go  a lot further down, you can see that they don't really think about starters vs. bench or platooned players, or emerging starters, or ANY Nationals.  I tried to avoid platoon players in the 2007 CBS league, but CBS made you stick to the same lineup for a whole week.  ESPN says you can change lineups daily, if you really want to get that involved. [groan]  Anyone who forgot to change their lineup in CBS by the Monday deadlines was screwed for the week.

So WHO will be drafted FIRST overall in this league, and WHO will be the first NATIONAL player drafted?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #98: March 29, 2008, 01:00:32 PM »
Since the NCAA tournament is now in the 4th round, the late game tonight is scheduled earlier, I think at 9:05 pm ET, which means it may end around 11:30 pm ET.  The 12:15 am Sunday Draft Order is supposed to be posted at 11:15 pm Saturday.  I assume the Draft Room will appear on the site then, which ronnynat can confirm, since he's been through an ESPN draft this year. 

Our own knowledge of the Nationals gives us better ideas about their rankings, particularly Nick Johnson, Ronnie Belliard, outfielders and all pitchers.  ESPN's top 40 or so are not bad choices, but as you go  a lot further down, you can see that they don't really think about starters vs. bench or platooned players, or emerging starters, or ANY Nationals.  I tried to avoid platoon players in the 2007 CBS league, but CBS made you stick to the same lineup for a whole week.  ESPN says you can change lineups daily, if you really want to get that involved. [groan]  Anyone who forgot to change their lineup in CBS by the Monday deadlines was screwed for the week.

So WHO will be drafted FIRST overall in this league, and WHO will be the first NATIONAL player drafted?

(Image removed from quote.)
A-rod and RZ.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #99: March 29, 2008, 11:20:49 PM »
The draft room isn't open yet, but it should be soon. It might be that it opens 45 or 30 minutes beforehand. Not sure.