Author Topic: NBA Thread (2008-09)  (Read 10175 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: 08-09 NBA Season Thread
« Reply #125: April 29, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »
Not true at all.  I have been to lots of Wizards games in the last few years and nothing came close to the Wizards-Bulls playoff game at verizon in 2005.  The atmosphere is most definitely different in the playoffs and it isn't even close.  Perception vs. Reality.

My roomate watches all the NBA playoff games and it looks no different than any other game. Just how I see it.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #126: April 29, 2009, 10:58:39 AM »
My roomate watches all the NBA playoff games and it looks no different than any other game. Just how I see it.

Fair enough, I now realize I probably came to the wrong place to talk NBA anyway. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #127: April 29, 2009, 11:03:42 AM »
Fair enough, I now realize I probably came to the wrong place to talk NBA anyway. 

The Bulls-Celtics series looks good, but the Lakers games seem honestly terrible. 20-point blowouts in seemingly every game.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #128: April 29, 2009, 12:28:46 PM »
The Bulls-Celtics series looks good, but the Lakers games seem honestly terrible. 20-point blowouts in seemingly every game.
only in the NBA. I'm sorry I just don't get cised to watch these games. College basketball is much, much more enjoyable. Can't stand the NBA and most of the players.

NHL Playoffs >>>>>>>> NBA playoffs

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #129: April 29, 2009, 01:33:04 PM »
only in the NBA. I'm sorry I just don't get cised to watch these games. College basketball is much, much more enjoyable. Can't stand the NBA and most of the players.

NHL Playoffs >>>>>>>> NBA playoffs

You posted the same thing last night, I get it, you don't like the NBA.  You may like the NHL playoffs, but as a whole, America watches the NBA playoffs more.  The NHL playoffs haven't broken a 2.0 rating this year for television (and average much lower), while NBA is averaging a 2.5.  You don't have to like it, but there are people that do.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #130: April 29, 2009, 01:44:39 PM »
You posted the same thing last night, I get it, you don't like the NBA.  You may like the NHL playoffs, but as a whole, America watches the NBA playoffs more.  The NHL playoffs haven't broken a 2.0 rating this year for television (and average much lower), while NBA is averaging a 2.5.  You don't have to like it, but there are people that do.

Unfortunately TV for NHL has still struggled. Versus sucks.

Ticket sales and attendance are higher in the NHL as a whole, IIRC.. I looked it up last month. If the NHL was on ESPN then it'd have great ratings, too.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #131: April 29, 2009, 01:48:57 PM »

Ticket sales and attendance are higher in the NHL as a whole, IIRC.. I looked it up last month. If the NHL was on ESPN then it'd have great ratings, too.

NHL is great in person, there are people who love going to games, but cant stand it on tv. I personally fall into that category.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #132: April 29, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
I don't know how people can't stand it on TV. it's the same game. If you watched either or both of the Game 7s last night you wouldn't say that. both games were amazing  :worship:

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #133: April 29, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »

Didn't ESPN can their NHL coverage a few years ago because the ratings were horrid?  Interesting to see that ticket sales/attendance are up in a 'recession'.  I know NBA figures stayed constant from last year, but only because ticket prices dropped.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #134: April 29, 2009, 01:59:44 PM »
I don't know how people can't stand it on TV. it's the same game. If you watched either or both of the Game 7s last night you wouldn't say that. both games were amazing  :worship:

thats one point of view - I did watch the caps game. The other is that people don't like it on tv, the ratings support that view point

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #135: April 29, 2009, 02:01:48 PM »

You don't think this may have SOMETHING to do with the fact that the NBA is on ESPN while the NHL is on VS.?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #136: April 29, 2009, 02:04:13 PM »
Didn't ESPN can their NHL coverage a few years ago because the ratings were horrid?  Interesting to see that ticket sales/attendance are up in a 'recession'.  I know NBA figures stayed constant from last year, but only because ticket prices dropped.

ESPN canned the NHL because the NHL wanted unreal figures for their product.  They shot for the moon.  ESPN is taking a bath with the NBA because the product sucks and not many people care about it.   A 2.5 for a major sport is a joke - especially when the NHL is considered "fringe" nowadays and it gets 2.0.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #137: April 29, 2009, 02:06:09 PM »
thats one point of view - I did watch the caps game. The other is that people don't like it on tv, the ratings support that view point

I do not agree with you on watchabiliey on television, but I have heard your theory is correct.  Only the really hard-core hockey fans find themselves watching on television. 

I have heard, however, that hockey benefits more from HD (and I wouldn't know since I don't have an HDTV  :? ) than any other sport so that may change over time

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #138: April 29, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »
You don't think this may have SOMETHING to do with the fact that the NBA is on ESPN while the NHL is on VS.?

Isn't NBC a national station, I believe the ratings weren't much better for that either.  I can admit that not having NHL on ESPN may have something to do with it, but if it was worth having (rating-wise), then ESPN would try to carry again.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #139: April 29, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »
ESPN canned the NHL because the NHL wanted unreal figures for their product.  They shot for the moon.  ESPN is taking a bath with the NBA because the product sucks and not many people care about it.   A 2.5 for a major sport is a joke - especially when the NHL is considered "fringe" nowadays and it gets 2.0.

the average is 1.0, it hasn't broken 2.0 yet;  The caps-rangers game two had the lowest rating (.7) in years (on NBC)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #140: April 29, 2009, 02:09:45 PM »
Isn't NBC a national station, I believe the ratings weren't much better for that either.  I can admit that not having NHL on ESPN may have something to do with it, but if it was worth having (rating-wise), then ESPN would try to carry again.

First of all, NBC isn't carrying nearly as many NHL games as ABC carries NBA games.  The ratings differential comes from the weekday games onthe cable networks of ESPN and VS.  IIRC Vs. is carried in about 1/3 to 1/2 the households ESPN is carried in.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #141: April 29, 2009, 02:11:22 PM »
NBC drew mixed ratings for its coverage of the Stanley Cup Playoffs last weekend.

Game 2 between the Rangers and Capitals drew a mere 0.7/2 final rating on NBC last Saturday, down 13% from a decidedly less attractive Predators/Red Wings game last year. The 0.7 rating is the lowest for a Stanley Cup Playoff game on broadcast since a second round Red Wings/Avalanche game drew the same rating last year.

To put the 0.7 in perspective, an American Le Mans Series race the next day drew a 0.8/2 on ABC.

On a much more positive note, Game 3 between the Penguins and Flyers drew a solid 1.3/3 final rating on Sunday, up a whopping 63% from a 0.8 for Flyers/Capitals last year. The 1.3 rating is the best for a first round Stanley Cup Playoff game on broadcast since Oilers/Red Wings drew a 1.4 in '06. Penguins/Flyers built on its Champions Tour lead-in by 30%.

Overall, NBC averaged a 1.0 for its two Stanley Cup Playoff games last weekend, up 25% from a 0.8 for two comparable games in '08.

The second weekend of the Stanley Cup Playoffs was not a ratings success on NBC over the weekend.

NBC averaged a 1.1 overnight rating for Stanley Cup Playoff games last weekend, down 15% from a 1.3 for two comparable games in '08, and down 21% from a 1.4 for two games last week.

In particular, Game 6 between the Penguins and Flyers drew a 1.2/3 on Saturday afternoon, even with last year's comparable Flyers/Capitals Game 5. Meanwhile, Rangers/Capitals drew a 1.0/2 on Sunday, down 23% from a 1.3/3 for Red Wings/Predators in '08.

Source: NBC

Look, I mean I don't want to sit here and be a hockey basher or anything.  I simply asked who was watching the NBA playoffs and had SF come here and start bashing the topic.  I was just defending my choice to watch the NBA playoffs.  I respect NHL players as athletes and am glad that Washington has at least one winning team.  I just happen to prefer watching the NBA instead.  I'm not trying to offend anyone here and am glad to see some passion on this board.  Frankly, I don't care if there are one or one million people watching the sport, it doesn't bother me either way.

I didn't want this to have to turn into an NHL versus NBA argument.  I just wanted to talk some NBA playoffs with someone last night while I was watching the game.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #142: April 29, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »
The low TV ratings are not surprising. Any hockey fan will tell you that it's hard for a casual fan to really enjoy it on TV compared to at the game.

But HDTV is a huge boost to the NHL and the fact of the matter is the NHL is way on the upswing (Chicago, DC are now great teams) and there have been rumors that the NHL is working to get back on ESPN. That gives them tons of more exposure, and higher TV ratings on ABC and ESPN. The sooner the NHL dumps crappy VS the sooner it gets back into the mainstream US sporting news.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #143: April 29, 2009, 02:29:35 PM »
The low TV ratings are not surprising. Any hockey fan will tell you that it's hard for a casual fan to really enjoy it on TV compared to at the game.

But HDTV is a huge boost to the NHL and the fact of the matter is the NHL is way on the upswing (Chicago, DC are now great teams) and there have been rumors that the NHL is working to get back on ESPN. That gives them tons of more exposure, and higher TV ratings on ABC and ESPN. The sooner the NHL dumps crappy VS the sooner it gets back into the mainstream US sporting news.

I hope it does help the sport.  I am all for the growth of the sports industry.

Look, I mean I don't want to sit here and be a hockey basher or anything.  I simply asked who was watching the NBA playoffs and had SF come here and start bashing the topic.  I was just defending my choice to watch the NBA playoffs.  I respect NHL players as athletes and am glad that Washington has at least one winning team.  I just happen to prefer watching the NBA instead.  I'm not trying to offend anyone here and am glad to see some passion on this board.  Frankly, I don't care if there are one or one million people watching the sport, it doesn't bother me either way.

I didn't want this to have to turn into an NHL versus NBA argument.  I just wanted to talk some NBA playoffs with someone last night while I was watching the game.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #144: April 29, 2009, 02:34:59 PM »
I think ronny is the only one on here who watches it.

it's all good though. whatever floats your boat. I just personally cannot stand the NBA in general for the most part but to each his own.

I'm more excited for the draft lottery on May 19th than watching these playoff games.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #145: April 29, 2009, 02:47:57 PM »
I just personally cannot stand the NBA in general for the most part but to each his own.

I know tons of people who watch college hoops but not the NBA so it's not the game either.  I'm with you, I cannot watch the NBA and I haven't for about 15 years.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #146: April 29, 2009, 02:50:40 PM »

I know tons of people who watch college hoops but not the NBA so it's not the game either.  I'm with you, I cannot watch the NBA and I haven't for about 15 years.

yeah. Basketball is my favorite sport to play and I enjoy watching college b-ball. Just can't stand the NBA.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #147: April 29, 2009, 06:27:22 PM »
During the 2009 first-round playoff series against the New York Rangers, Comcast SportsNet also received the highest rating of the year with a 4.0 for Game 7 in the D.C. area.

that's sick. :clap:

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #148: April 29, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »
that's sick. :clap:

nice.  The bulls-celtics game on Sunday drew a 10.5 rating, much better than last years Cavs-Wizards game at 3.0.

Offline PC

« Reply #149: April 30, 2009, 10:53:28 PM »
The Bulls and Celtics are in overtime #3 tonight! :shock: