Author Topic: Can the players' union veto a deal?  (Read 342 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Can the players' union veto a deal?
« Topic Start: May 04, 2012, 10:09:59 AM »
I've been having a discussion with some friends. It started around CJ Wilson signing with LA for 77 million.

I maintain that if Wilson had really, really wanted to stay in Texas, he would have accepted a deal for like 50-60 million. The Rangers still would have had Darvish.

They are telling me that there is no way the players' union would have allowed a deal like that. They wouldn't have allowed Wilson to sign for that much less.

Is this true? Can the union just veto a deal like that? Or would it have been a case of them putting pressure on CJ but, ultimately, he could have done what he wanted?

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Can the players' union veto a deal?
« Reply #1: May 04, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »
Contracts have to be approved by MLB and the union, this came up when ARod was first traded to the Yankees after the union balked at letting him take a pay cut to go to Boston. That being said, I doubt they veto a new deal (rather than a restructuring)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: May 04, 2012, 03:25:44 PM »
You would think they would have vetoed Andre Dawson signing with the Cubs if they had the power to block such deals.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #3: May 04, 2012, 11:05:06 PM »
You would think they would have vetoed Andre Dawson signing with the Cubs if they had the power to block such deals.

I thought the owners colluded those years which is why the players were compensated for that.