Author Topic: Zach Houchins needs to shut up.  (Read 6040 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Zach Houchins needs to shut up.
« Reply #50: June 10, 2011, 10:20:11 PM »
Maybe they see something in the kid that can be molded into a good player!  He's young enough to change his ways.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #51: June 11, 2011, 12:03:29 AM »
I think that GM Mike Rizzo should be holding that area scout's feet to the fire...  this is a rather large screw up and the exact reason teams have area scouts(to find out if a kid will sign, find out about his makeup, and embarrassing stuff exactly like this.)  There were posters on here that found that "stuff" within minutes and hours, an area scout who spends 12 months a year studying his territory should have caught this well before selecting him on day 2 of the draft.

For the Nationals to have taken this kid in round 15, an area scout saw that kid at least twice and someone else likely saw him as well.  Very strange that they would miss this-

Well I doubt that a scout's job is to check his Twitter... they may not even know how to use Twitter. It's very possible that his coaches gave positive reviews.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #52: June 11, 2011, 10:25:16 AM »
I think that GM Mike Rizzo should be holding that area scout's feet to the fire...  this is a rather large screw up and the exact reason teams have area scouts(to find out if a kid will sign, find out about his makeup, and embarrassing stuff exactly like this.)  There were posters on here that found that "stuff" within minutes and hours, an area scout who spends 12 months a year studying his territory should have caught this well before selecting him on day 2 of the draft.

For the Nationals to have taken this kid in round 15, an area scout saw that kid at least twice and someone else likely saw him as well.  Very strange that they would miss this-

+1

I saw a lot of ppl saying shame on Rizzo for this when the twitter incident originally started but honestly outside of the first two rounds Rizzo is probably relying mainly on his scouts and I seriously doubt he's ever talked to this kid or did any research on him. He was the top guy on our board at the time so we drafted him. Scouts are likely the ones responsible for background investigations and in this generation to not use a prospects twitter or facebook as a source is just plain stupid.

Offline RD

« Reply #53: June 11, 2011, 10:44:33 AM »
Id judge a kids character much more on how you see him act in practice, games, and speak to him in person. And by the recommendations of his coaches and other people that have contact with him. Not twitter.

Ive had teammates drafted in the teens. The scouts have a ton of direct contact with the players. Before and after games, during practice, phone conversations. Watching his actions during practice.

You get a much better indication of a kid's character in those interactions than you do by something he says to his friends on twitter.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #54: June 11, 2011, 10:55:14 AM »
Id judge a kids character much more on how you see him act in practice, games, and speak to him in person. And by the recommendations of his coaches and other people that have contact with him. Not twitter.

Ive had teammates drafted in the teens. The scouts have a ton of direct contact with the players. Before and after games, during practice, phone conversations. Watching his actions during practice.

You get a much better indication of a kid's character in those interactions than you do by something he says to his friends on twitter.

I agree with you which is why I said "a source" of course you ask his friends etc... as well but twitter and fb have to atleast be used as a source. Lots of jobs check social networking sites for their interviews etc... which is why most young people(myself included) have their privacy settings on so the whole world can't easily see their profiles.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #55: June 11, 2011, 11:40:29 AM »

Well, the media judges athletes on what they put on Twitter. If the area scout had done his due diligence and checked his Twitter page, he could have either passed on the kid or, better yet, given the kid a heads up that his Twitter posts would blow up in his face.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #56: June 11, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Also, let's not let this get lost:

Houchins’s Twitter feed was deleted late last night, around the time the Nationals released the statement from Rizzo. It had included rampant epithets depicting African-Americans, many phrases objectifying women and at least one epithet used to describe Chinese people.

It makes some of his backpedaling suspicious of not being the "whole truth and nothing but the truth."

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #57: June 11, 2011, 01:45:53 PM »
At least he is apologetic and worried. I googled John Rocker and learned that Rocker is the same bag of bigoted stupidity that Will Farrell parodied.

Maybe the kid should go on to finish 4-year college, grow up, learn something deeper. Then we'll see. Beside that, most of these kid athetes need to get an education if only because hardly any will make a living playing a sport.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #58: June 11, 2011, 03:46:43 PM »
Zuckerman was on the radio friday thinking they may just not offer him a contract i.e. signing a very questionable 15th rounder vs. the pr blow back from having this guy in the system

Offline Sharp

« Reply #59: June 11, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »
Zuckerman was on the radio friday thinking they may just not offer him a contract i.e. signing a very questionable 15th rounder vs. the pr blow back from having this guy in the system
That would suck.  What if he turns out well?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #60: June 11, 2011, 03:52:14 PM »
That would suck.  What if he turns out well?

it's just playing the percentages- how many 15th rounders even make the majors?

Offline Sharp

« Reply #61: June 11, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
it's just playing the percentages- how many 15th rounders even make the majors?
Not a whole lot, but unlike in basketball there are still some extremely talented players who come out of late rounds.  Unless he's demanding a huge amount of money I don't see why the Nats should pass on him for something like this.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #62: June 12, 2011, 10:20:01 AM »
What if he turns out well?

There are good players who aren't douches.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #63: June 12, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
I don't wanna denigrate anybody.   My son is 1/4 Japanese.   

My daughters are also 1/4 Japanese.  That's the perfect amount of Asian, just a hint, not too much, not to little.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #64: June 12, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »
^^ uh...

Offline Saint

« Reply #65: June 13, 2011, 04:49:51 PM »
Does anyone know exactly what were the slurs Houchins used regarding gays and Asians? I keep reading this but nothing close to that was in the sample provided on FLOTN blog. Also, I'm guessing the misogynistic word was "b**ches" which in the context used wasn't really meant to be such. That much seems to be a little overkill.

Also, did any of the people blogging ever make an attempt to contact Houchins? The only person I've seen quote Houchins is Adam Kilgore.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #66: June 14, 2011, 10:18:39 AM »
I would have to think some African Americans would disagree with the N word not being offensive coming from a white guy.
                     + Absolutely......he's white-ass trash...I don't care what age he is...trash-talking foul-mouth low-life......yea, African Americans would warm right up to him...see me warming up to him..... :roll:
             It was a smart move to have his twitter account deleted.....

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #67: June 14, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »
Also, I'm guessing the misogynistic word was "b**ches" which in the context used wasn't really meant to be such. That much seems to be a little overkill.

This guy was a grade-A azzhole that freaked himself by being a moronic teenager on social media.  Maybe he'll learn from this and be a productive member of society or maybe he'll just keep going with it and become a full on bigot sheethead.  Either way, we don't need him.

Offline Saint

« Reply #68: June 14, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
Bigot: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices;

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #69: June 14, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »
Bigot: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices;
especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.  
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot

Nice edit, Mrs. Houchins.  I'm sure you hope for  the best from your son, but please tell your son that even words like b!tches demonstrate a willingness to objectify and dehumanize the target. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #70: June 14, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance. 
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot

Nice edit, Mrs. Houchins.  I'm sure you hope for  the best from your son, but please tell your son that even words like b!tches demonstrate a willingness to objectify and dehumanize the target. 

I'm really confused.  Can someone help me out here?

Offline blue911

« Reply #71: June 14, 2011, 04:41:49 PM »
I'm really confused.  Can someone help me out here?

No. You gonna be at the Loft tonight?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #72: June 14, 2011, 04:49:58 PM »
No. You gonna be at the Loft tonight?

I might stop by for a couple of minutes.  Mrs. de Sade is with me tonight and she's pretty pumped about our own little slice of NYC at the Park finally :spaz:.

Offline blue911

« Reply #73: June 14, 2011, 04:54:04 PM »
I might stop by for a couple of minutes.  Mrs. de Sade is with me tonight and she's pretty pumped about our own little slice of NYC at the Park finally :spaz:.

Crack dealers and transvestites hanging around the men's room?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #74: June 14, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »
Crack dealers and transvestites hanging around the men's room?

Ha!  Give it time. :P