Author Topic: Normandy  (Read 2828 times)

Offline saltydad

Re: Normandy
« Reply #25: June 07, 2009, 02:10:35 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

From left, U.S. President Barack Obama, Britain's Prince Charles, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and French President Nicolas Sarkozy arrive at the American Cemetery at Colleville-Sur -Mer, near Caen, Western France, Saturday, June 6, 2009 to attend the 65th Anniversary of the D-day landings in Normandy.
(AP Photo/Francois Mori)

As you can see, no photo or square or anything! Can you post links please?

Offline Blueliner

« Reply #26: June 07, 2009, 02:36:18 PM »
Don't jump all over the kid for asking a question.  Yes, we can't tell just from a simple post on a board that he is a kid.  But HS kids do not have to take US History until their JR years.  So US history isn't something that is pushed on them.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #27: June 07, 2009, 03:19:59 PM »
As you can see, no photo or square or anything! Can you post links please?

I saw the photo in your reply.  ;) I've modified each post with the photo link.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #28: June 07, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
I am not at all anxious to visit Europe

Any reason why? I LOVE to visit Europe.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #29: June 07, 2009, 03:46:46 PM »
Any reason why? I LOVE to visit Europe.

I thought it was evident? The ovens.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #30: June 07, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
I thought it was evident? The ovens.

I read him as saying except Aushwitz and Normandy.

there are 2 places I desire to see before I die. One is Auschwitz (where I lost many family members), and the other is the Normandy invasion sites and the cemeteries for the heroes who fought and died there (and ALL of them were heroes)

Offline saltydad

« Reply #31: June 07, 2009, 05:39:12 PM »
You read correct, Carol, but DCFan is exactly right. I have no desire to visit such hotbeds of antisemitism historically as France, Germany, Russia, Poland, etc. So you are both right. Just want to see those two. And Carol, thanks for saying "while you're still young". I owe you a beer for that next time I see you.  ;)

edit- Thanks for the links, but all I get is a blank screen!? Must be my system if you saw the pix in my posting. Oh well. Thanks anyway.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #32: June 07, 2009, 06:31:06 PM »
I can never get enough WWII history, especially when it comes to D-Day. One of the greatest days in American history, IMO. Normandy is high on my list of places I'd love to visit one day.

I'm with you on this, I love WWII history and would love to go to Normandy to check it out.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #33: June 07, 2009, 07:20:22 PM »
Well, Afghanistan at any rate.  But in the hottest part down on the Pak border.

I had remembered that you had posted a while back that you were still in high school. But the thing to remember about the Canadians is that they are one of our top trade partners and they're a valued member of NATO with us. They're one of the few countries left that stands with us. They even have troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #34: June 08, 2009, 11:33:19 PM »
I'm with you on this, I love WWII history and would love to go to Normandy to check it out.

I love WW2 history as well. I was lucky enough to serve in Germany for four years in the early 90's. I saw some unbelievable things while over there. I was stationed in Nuremburg, which has a ton of WW2 history. I never did get to Normandy though.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #35: June 08, 2009, 11:44:04 PM »
You read correct, Carol, but DCFan is exactly right. I have no desire to visit such hotbeds of antisemitism historically as France, Germany, Russia, Poland, etc. So you are both right. Just want to see those two. And Carol, thanks for saying "while you're still young". I owe you a beer for that next time I see you.  ;)

edit- Thanks for the links, but all I get is a blank screen!? Must be my system if you saw the pix in my posting. Oh well. Thanks anyway.

I understand the sentiment, and respect your decision.

I also know that Germany is a wonderful place to visit, very exciting and I have some wonderful friends there. It is now a very changed place, with strong anti-facist sentiment.

Hell, I've been to Argentina, and there's still real live Nazis there.

Just as a suggestion, maybe someday you could visit Scandinavia? Denmark and Sweden responded admirably during that dark period. I know some very cool Swedish people.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #36: June 09, 2009, 06:30:56 AM »
Just as a suggestion, maybe someday you could visit Scandinavia? Denmark and Sweden responded admirably during that dark period. I know some very cool Swedish people.

The Danes get a ton of respect for the way they all wore the yellow Stars of David in a show of solidarity.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #37: June 09, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »
My parents went to Denmark and Sweden, and actually bought our wedding crystal there (Orefors). If I ever make it over on a trip to those 2 places, I'd probably try to include Denmark and Sweden. However, my current life as a 24 hr/day private duty nurse for Mom, while filled with great benefits, is a tad lacking on the salary end.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #38: June 09, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »
D-Day Veteran:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #39: June 09, 2009, 04:55:32 PM »
My parents went to Denmark and Sweden, and actually bought our wedding crystal there (Orefors). If I ever make it over on a trip to those 2 places, I'd probably try to include Denmark and Sweden. However, my current life as a 24 hr/day private duty nurse for Mom, while filled with great benefits, is a tad lacking on the salary end.

you are a mensch though

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #40: June 11, 2009, 12:02:01 AM »
Best way of dealing w/ Germany is to go visit.  There might be some dumbass skinheads prowling around spewing horsecrap, but I guarantee you that the vast majority of Germans are anxious to make things right with Jews. 

But like any country, it has its reactionaries, who think that apologies for past crimes are tantamount to treason.  Ahem.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #41: June 11, 2009, 09:49:36 AM »
The attitude towards Germany in this thread is surprising.  You're probably in more danger of being persecuted or harmed for your faith here in the U.S. than you are over there.

Offline skinsnatsterps

• The Big Train.
« Reply #42: June 11, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »
Yogi was a D-Day vet? I had no idea. I knew he was in the service, but I didn't know he was at Normandy.

Truly one of the most glorious and most somber days in American history. Though it cracked the war wide open for the allies, so many soldiers had to die.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #43: June 12, 2009, 12:34:23 AM »
My ex-wife was of German ancestry, so of course is my son. I have nothing against contemporary Germans. but find a visceral hatred of Germans in the WW2 generation. It's irrational, I admit, but there it is. And the history of rabid antisemitism in Germany started long before Hitler (remember Luther), so while I understand there were "Righteous Gentiles" who helped Jews and other persecuted minorities in WW2, I feel the history speaks for itself.

edit- Righteous Gentiles

'Righteous Gentiles' is the phrase used for those non-Jews who risked their lives to save Jews during the Holocaust. At Yad Vashem Museum in Jerusalem, over 11,000 'Righteous Gentiles' are honored; almost 5,000 are Polish.