Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2012)  (Read 190070 times)

Offline Aussie_Nat

Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium
« Reply #175: May 04, 2012, 04:09:42 AM »
We get to watch a few Nats games here in Oz and l have to say that watching Harper grow and develop into the complete package over the next few years is something that l am looking forward to watching. Go Nats, the next few years is going to be a great ride.  :D

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #176: May 04, 2012, 07:58:46 AM »
Woah!

We have two fans from Australia now!

Welcome!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #177: May 04, 2012, 08:00:06 AM »
Harper won the Quick Pitch player of the day in their Facebook poll - and Jeter was a candidate.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #178: May 04, 2012, 08:03:42 AM »
Harper won the Quick Pitch player of the day in their Facebook poll - and Jeter was a candidate.

Someone was just watching QP. :lol:

Offline Sharp

« Reply #179: May 04, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »
Where exactly did you come up with Tejada's true talent? What you are doing is completely wrong mathematically?
I'm, uh, not sure you followed my post.  I was given Tejada's current BABIP and was told that it was not likely to regress much because he would always have a high BABIP.  I then did the math and pointed out that if this was going to be his true talent (career average) he would have to be a phenomenally great hitter--best of all time type great.  In fact, he would have to lose over .30 points to get to Ichiro's BABIP--one of the greatest BABIP talents of all time.  I concluded that this was probably NOT his true talent and he was likely to regress.  Since I didn't make any mathematical errors or jump to any unreasonable conclusions, I'm not really sure where you're getting this from.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #180: May 04, 2012, 08:35:09 AM »
How long to Harper get's an IBB?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #181: May 04, 2012, 08:38:13 AM »
I think "the chosen one" is a pretty good nickname.

Better yet, just come up with something original like "Hammer" or "The Bambino".  :?

Offline Upark25

« Reply #182: May 04, 2012, 08:51:29 AM »
MLB Tonight talking about Bryce Harper.  Unfortunately, I missed the first few minutes because they started talking at the end of one hour and into the beginning of the next.   >:(

Didn't Reynolds do a piece on Harper? Why is he hating so much now haha

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #183: May 04, 2012, 09:09:57 AM »
Aussie Aussie Aussie!

Actually, I thought that was the most insightful and coherent thing I've heard from Reynolds in a long time.  The point he made that there will be umpires who blow calls or look to call close ones against Bryce is spot on.  Do any of you think Joe West would not relish calling a borderline strike against him to end a game?  That, and his observations about Griffey breaking in were terrific.  Seriously, when do you think a pitching coach will tell his starter, "If I see you throw a fastball to this kid, you are getting fined." 

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #184: May 04, 2012, 09:11:13 AM »
Shane Victorino chimes in on Harper:

I want to shove it up his butt when I see him this week. I want to take it to him.

:shock:

http://www.sulia.com/post/baseball/5c855ac6-9777-421c-8220-2e5d1059dc51/

He had a lot of complimentary things to say, I was just picking that out for the word choice.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #185: May 04, 2012, 09:12:13 AM »

:pray: hrod 101 high and in

Offline Sharp

« Reply #186: May 04, 2012, 09:12:18 AM »

Tell us how you really feel, Shane.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #187: May 04, 2012, 09:15:33 AM »

He had a lot of complimentary things to say, I was just picking that out for the word choice.

Ther is no way he actually said that

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #188: May 04, 2012, 09:22:50 AM »
I'm, uh, not sure you followed my post.  I was given Tejada's current BABIP and was told that it was not likely to regress much because he would always have a high BABIP.  I then did the math and pointed out that if this was going to be his true talent (career average) he would have to be a phenomenally great hitter--best of all time type great.  In fact, he would have to lose over .30 points to get to Ichiro's BABIP--one of the greatest BABIP talents of all time.  I concluded that this was probably NOT his true talent and he was likely to regress.  Since I didn't make any mathematical errors or jump to any unreasonable conclusions, I'm not really sure where you're getting this from.

1. We don't know if his career average is his true talent

2. The standard deviation should be a lot higher than the one you used because the sample size of is smaller. If you look at the formula for Standard deviation, N is in the denominator so the lower the N the higher the standard deviation.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #189: May 04, 2012, 09:25:43 AM »

That is totally gay!  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #190: May 04, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
I don't even know what type of site that is, but here's the rest:

Victorino on fellow Vegas resident Bryce Harper: "What I like so far of what I’ve seen is the way he’s playing the game. He’s playing it hard. He’s running balls out. He’s doing those kinds of things... Is that going to stop? I don’t know but from what I’ve seen so far of his big league performance I love the fact he’s playing the game hard. That’s important to me.. Oh, I’m here. But don’t get me wrong. I want to shove it up his butt when I see him this week. I want to take it to him." #Phillies

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #191: May 04, 2012, 09:37:51 AM »
Shove what up his butt.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #192: May 04, 2012, 09:38:41 AM »
1. We don't know if his career average is his true talent
I very much doubt his career average is his true talent, which is what I was trying to demonstrate.  The supposition was a hypothetical one.
2. The standard deviation should be a lot higher than the one you used because the sample size of is smaller. If you look at the formula for Standard deviation, N is in the denominator so the lower the N the higher the standard deviation.
The standard deviation I used is taken from a sample of hundreds of thousands of major league at-bats.  N becomes pretty much irrelevant at that point.  Did you read the article that I linked in my original post?  It explains the methodology in detail.  I'm not comparing Ruben Tejada to himself--I'm comparing him to the average major leaguer, and trying to determine how likely it is that his BABIP is "real."  I think anyone could tell that it was a bit luck-inflated, but I don't think people realize just how unlikely a "true" .387 BABIP is--I didn't until I crunched the numbers.

(Of course, deciding that his current average is probably inflated is quite different from trying to calculate what his true average might actually be, which would indeed bring sample size, regression, confidence intervals, and a host of other things into play.  But I wasn't attempting to do that, which I think is where the confusion lies.)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #193: May 04, 2012, 11:36:14 AM »
bryce continues to credit his teammates/coaches/fans in interviews and is sincere about it.

oh wait i thought he was a prick? 

:lmao: dumbasses

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #194: May 04, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »
bryce continues to credit his teammates/coaches/fans in interviews and is sincere about it.

There's no doubt he's a prick... but he's our prick! :lol:

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #195: May 04, 2012, 11:39:52 AM »

Yeah whatever happened to the cocky/arrogant Harper?  I love how he's proving all those doubters about his attitude wrong.  He sprints through the bases even on a routine pop up.  No one does that anymore!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #196: May 04, 2012, 11:45:36 AM »
There's no doubt he's a prick... but he's our prick! :lol:

i just hate the nats fans that are like, "i'm going to hate this kid" and have all these predetermined thoughts before he even puts on a nats jersey. 

the only thing that matters is his teammates really like him. 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #197: May 04, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #198: May 04, 2012, 12:02:39 PM »
i just hate the nats fans that are like, "i'm going to hate this kid" and have all these predetermined thoughts before he even puts on a nats jersey. 

That will last until he hits first upper deck bomb. Which will be any day now.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #199: May 04, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »
Yeah whatever happened to the cocky/arrogant Harper?  I love how he's proving all those doubters about his attitude wrong.  He sprints through the bases even on a routine pop up.  No one does that anymore!

I really, really, really didn't want to like him and expected him to be a total tool bag in need of a serious assthrashing.  Instead we have a kid that is balls out and seems, from what we've seen of him so far in the Show, to be very, very grounded and levelhead.  It's a really exciting time in baseball with he, Matt Kemp, Strasburg, Verlander, and a slew of others (Cozart, Stanton, Ethier) making this is a seriously amazing season.