Author Topic: I just have one question about last night  (Read 1798 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: I just have one question about last night
« Reply #25: October 14, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »
well, if we are discussing bullpen use, I wonder why Michael Gonzalez wasn't given a shot at Descalso once he proved to be a pain in the rear.  Could have faced him leading off the 8th and then turned is over to Clip, or could have come in with the lead in the 9th (less likely,since the closer had the lead at that point and 2 outs).

Offline PC

« Reply #26: October 15, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »
Now I'm really pissed.  Watching PTI, the Cardinals were in the Rundown and Wilbon remarked that McGuire told his hitters to not bite on the Storen sliders because they're not being called strikes.

That explains why they didn't swing at pitches that were strikes.  It also puts the homeplate umpire in even greater ill repute when the Juicer in the dugout knows that strikes aren't going to be called as strikes.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #27: October 15, 2012, 06:10:10 PM »
you'd think the team with the best record in baseball playing the second wild card team would get some deference. 
I don't think that at all.   But you could turn around that argument and say that the reigning World Series winner should get some deference over an upstart team that's never been in the playoffs.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #28: October 15, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »
Huh? Mattheus never warmed up? Am I dreaming or did I not see him listed on the bullpen screen as warming up early, I think while Gio was still in the game? Maybe it was Thursday, but I am damn sure I saw his name last night.

I thought I saw his name on the screen too.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #29: October 15, 2012, 06:32:07 PM »
Now I'm really pissed.  Watching PTI, the Cardinals were in the Rundown and Wilbon remarked that McGuire told his hitters to not bite on the Storen sliders because they're not being called strikes.

That explains why they didn't swing at pitches that were strikes.  It also puts the homeplate umpire in even greater ill repute when the Juicer in the dugout knows that strikes aren't going to be called as strikes.

:lmao: How did the Nats ever manage to get within one strike of the victory, TWICE?   :idiot:

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #30: October 15, 2012, 06:59:31 PM »
Huh? Mattheus never warmed up? Am I dreaming or did I not see him listed on the bullpen screen as warming up early, I think while Gio was still in the game? Maybe it was Thursday, but I am damn sure I saw his name last night.

You weren't dreaming

Offline PC

« Reply #31: October 16, 2012, 01:48:21 AM »
I don't think that at all.   But you could turn around that argument and say that the reigning World Series winner should get some deference over an upstart team that's never been in the playoffs.

Well, in order to get this position, he (the home plate umpire) would have had to look beyond the optics of that 9th inning moment.  The Cardinals weren’t leading.  The game wasn’t being played in St. Louis.  The fans weren’t crazed for the Cardinals.

That would have been a lot of mental gymnastics for him to accomplish that.

Offline PC

« Reply #32: October 16, 2012, 02:32:16 AM »
:lmao: How did the Nats ever manage to get within one strike of the victory, TWICE?   :idiot:

Dear God… :roll:

Are you familiar with Drew Storen, at all?  His slider is his best pitch, more importantly, his out pitch.  If he can’t get strike calls on his slider, his out pitch on two strike counts, he’s going to have a very difficult time getting outs and if he avoids his out pitch because he’s not getting strike calls, he’s going to give up more hits and walks.  It’s a great thing if you’re a pitcher who has two or three out pitches.  You can overcome not getting strike calls on one of them.  Drew Storen isn’t that kind of pitcher.

Getting back to the point at hand, I didn’t make up the quote from Wilbon about McGuire.  If what Wilbon said about McGuire is true, it actually explains a lot.  If McGuire knew this umpire had a tendency to not call sliders for strikes,  that is.  A bad slider from Storen’s perspective would have been low and out of the strike zone or high and hanging and hittable.  Storen’s sliders that night were very good.  If McGuire knows this about the home plate umpire, Cardinals hitters had two options on Storen’s sliders when they recognized them, swing over them and strike out or make weak contact and ground out or not swing, with the knowledge of this umpire’s tendencies about sliders and hope the tendency continues, which it did.

Also, Storen was asked if there was anything he could have done as far as his pitch selection goes and he quickly said no and that was absolutely true.  There was nothing he could have done.  He threw his best pitch, his out pitch, multiple times for strikes and didn’t get the calls.  He was left with is second and third best pitches and pitchers who live on their second and third best pitches get beat a lot.