Author Topic: Nationals vs Rockies, Game 3  (Read 31269 times)

Offline hleeo3

• Nats won yet?!?
Re: Nationals vs Rockies, Game 3
« Reply #325: August 21, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »
Mock should be fine, just needs to continue to gain experience same with the pitchers in the rotation.

i was watching the game @ a bar with no sound ... so what exactly happened no that bullcrap strike 3/non strike 3 call that turned the game around?  it looked like he clearly swung and missed on that. 

He definitely missed that ball, the umps costed the Nats the game at that point.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #326: August 21, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »
lol I know Det has been amazing in his last two starts.  I guess he has a different definition of "floundering".
Nah, I just hadn't seen his last start.  That's encouraging.  I'm very skeptical about Detwiler, though.  Talk about a guy who needs to work on his control.
Why not both? It's not like we have a massive payroll. Granted I don't expect it to happen either.
It's not just that I don't expect it to happen, but I'm really uninspired by this FA class outside of John Lackey, whom the Angels could very well be pressed to sign to an extension anyhow.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #327: August 21, 2009, 11:47:34 AM »
Nah, I just hadn't seen his last start.  That's encouraging.  I'm very skeptical about Detwiler, though.  Talk about a guy who needs to work on his control.

The club is taking a risk when they told him he can revert back to his old mechanics.  He flies open often, leaving his pitches up and away (when facing a righty) and then he's forced to throw the ball over the plate - when he gets into trouble by allowing too many hits.  When he's on though, he arguably has the best stuff in our system (other than JZ/Strasburg).  He's still just 23 and I have higher hopes for him than our other young pitching prospects.  I think he's going to be a solid #4/#5.

It's not just that I don't expect it to happen, but I'm really uninspired by this FA class outside of John Lackey, whom the Angels could very well be pressed to sign to an extension anyhow.

I know Rizzo said he wants to sign a frontline starter, but we'll see if he'll have the resources/the okay to go get one.  I would love Lackey and I wonder how much he'd get. 

Offline madj55

« Reply #328: August 21, 2009, 12:25:56 PM »
I wish we would get Holliday but I don't see St. Louis letting him go.

Offline NeedaNewNick

« Reply #329: August 21, 2009, 12:52:26 PM »
Detwiler has to work through some control issues, but he does a good job keeping the ball down.    He's got a 3.41 ERA in Syracuse, and I expect we'll see him again before May/June. 

« Reply #330: August 21, 2009, 12:54:42 PM »
He needs to learn to shake off adversity. Lannan would not totally fall apart after a bogus call. But he's got a spark that was totally missing earlier this season. I think they messed with his head too much. He needs to have a talk with Bergmann, who FINALLY has his head on straight.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. There were several games earlier this year Lannan had a bad call against him or someone hit a jack off him and he was visibly shaken up. He has gotten a lot better about things recently, but I would hardly say he is a pillar of mental steel. Bergmann has always been the poster child for inconsistency where starting is concerned and he just doesn't have the head for it. Leave him in the pen dealing with pen matters where he has found new life.

Mock had a great outing, but we've seen plenty of great outings followed by atrocities from numerous Nats pitchers. I'm not going to get overly excited about it, but it was very nice to see.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #331: August 21, 2009, 01:03:07 PM »
I have to respectfully disagree with this. There were several games earlier this year Lannan had a bad call against him or someone hit a jack off him and he was visibly shaken up. He has gotten a lot better about things recently, but I would hardly say he is a pillar of mental steel. Bergmann has always been the poster child for inconsistency where starting is concerned and he just doesn't have the head for it. Leave him in the pen dealing with pen matters where he has found new life.

Mock had a great outing, but we've seen plenty of great outings followed by atrocities from numerous Nats pitchers. I'm not going to get overly excited about it, but it was very nice to see.

Every time John Lannan gets into a jam, it seems like he finds a way to get out of it with minimal damage.

« Reply #332: August 21, 2009, 01:07:43 PM »
Every time John Lannan gets into a jam, it seems like he finds a way to get out of it with minimal damage.

If that was true, then I don't think we'd be arguing if he was an "ace" or not. Like I said he recently has improved, but earlier in the year batters shook him up in several games.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #333: August 21, 2009, 01:13:22 PM »
I think there's a difference between getting in a jam and having what happened to Mock last night affect what happens.  If you get in a jam, it's all on you, hit a guy, walk a guy, give up a bloop hit.  I think it's easier mentally to say, alright, now I gotta clean up my mess.  But when you have a particularly egregious call go against you it's harder to say, "wait, I gotta clean up this mess I didn't create?"  Especially when you saw the emotion Mock displayed when everyone though he had worked out of the jam.  He was genuinely excited about that.  Then he's told he has to go out and do it again.  For a young guy especially, that's really tough to overcome. 

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #334: August 21, 2009, 01:21:11 PM »
I think there's a difference between getting in a jam and having what happened to Mock last night affect what happens.  If you get in a jam, it's all on you, hit a guy, walk a guy, give up a bloop hit.  I think it's easier mentally to say, alright, now I gotta clean up my mess.  But when you have a particularly egregious call go against you it's harder to say, "wait, I gotta clean up this mess I didn't create?"  Especially when you saw the emotion Mock displayed when everyone though he had worked out of the jam.  He was genuinely excited about that.  Then he's told he has to go out and do it again.  For a young guy especially, that's really tough to overcome. 
and the worst thing was the following pitch after the blown call. he threw a good fastball that he jammed Gonzalez with but he got just enough of it to push it over Zimmerman's head in shallow LF. terrible luck all around

Offline daveb32

« Reply #335: August 21, 2009, 01:32:11 PM »
and the worst thing was the following pitch after the blown call. he threw a good fastball that he jammed Gonzalez with but he got just enough of it to push it over Zimmerman's head in shallow LF. terrible luck all around

This. I think it was the bloop hit that got to him more than anything else. He made one mistake all game and it was that wild pitch. Very encouraging string of starts by Mock.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #336: August 21, 2009, 01:56:31 PM »
Press conference in 5 minutes - anyone there reading this, wave for the cameras:

http://masnsports.com/2009/08/ready-to-meet-strasburg.html
In just a few short hours, NatsTown will get to see the future ace of the Nationals, Stephen Strasburg, as he'll be introduced at a press conference at Nationals Park.

If you can't be there in person, don't worry, MASN will carry the presser live at 2:00 p.m.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #337: August 21, 2009, 02:44:44 PM »
Why not both? It's not like we have a massive payroll. Granted I don't expect it to happen either.

:clap: