Author Topic: Nationals @ Cubs, Game 1  (Read 30941 times)

Offline Count Walewski

Re: Nationals @ Cubs, Game 1
« Reply #1300: April 05, 2012, 06:13:59 PM »
A win that was gift-wrapped by the Cubs, but it counts just the same.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1301: April 05, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »
For the first YNOT quiz period (road trip Apr 5-Apr 11), there were 2 questions for only the Opening Day results:

2. How many earned runs will the Nats score against Dempster on Opening Day? 1
5. How many strikeouts will Stephen Strasburg record on Opening Day? 5

Only one of the 9 participants got either question correct:

bklynnats said Strasburg would get 5 strikeouts.

Anyone can submit an entry in the next YNOT edition, for the 11-game home stand, (unless it gets split into a 5 & 6).

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1302: April 05, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »
my favorite win of the year

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #1303: April 05, 2012, 06:18:09 PM »
Great game, great win.

My impressions:

LaRoche is useless. Terrible game, though he did have a nice play on D when he saved the Desmond throw. All the same, 3 Ks is inexcusable.

Zimmerman was the best player on either team today. Not only did he have some excellent defensive plays, starting with picking Ramos' throw and turning it into a run-saving out, as well as throwing out the potential tying run at home (for those keeping score, that's two runs saved on defense in one game), but his hitting was excellent. Any other day or any other park, he has a .5000 OPS- 2 HRs and 2 BBs.

Desmond's defense is not better by leaps and bounds (though the season is early, maybe the defense will come when the routine is down). However, he had quite a good day offensively.

The bottom third of the lineup was a complete black hole today.

Strasburg pitched well toward the end, but he should be on the hook for three runs (the Soriano shot was majestic). He settled down nicely though.

Good to start the season 1-0. 161 more!

Offline Coladar

« Reply #1304: April 05, 2012, 06:21:59 PM »
I surely hope the Ian Desmond boobirds can swallow their pride and agree Desmond looked sharp today

I've never so much wanted him off the team, and although I'll admit there have been times the Es made me wish it, as it is he is NOT a leadoff batter.. And he still isn't. First pitch today, swing. He does not, ever, take pitches. A leadoff hitter must do this, particularly his first AB. Desmond never has, and never will do this. Today showed why he still deserves to be in a ML lineup. But he is not never, nor has he ever been, nor will he ever be, a leadoff hitter. We flirt with disaster plugging him in there instead of looking at what else we have, or going out and getting one. I don't care if he has a hundred games like today, the team would still win more if he bats second or sixth and a prototypical leadoff hitter bats first.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #1305: April 05, 2012, 06:23:02 PM »

Terrible game, though he did have a nice play on D when he saved the Desmond throw.

I'm not so sure the ball even bounced on that play. And if it did it was a short hop so I wouldn't give him that much credit for the play.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #1306: April 05, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »
Oh yeah, somebody explain to me why LaRoche is batting cleanup.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1307: April 05, 2012, 06:25:46 PM »
A win that was gift-wrapped by the Cubs, but it counts just the same.

Pretty much.  We had every opportunity to get Dempster before he settled down, but our Morseless middle lineup was a little weak.  No, a lot weak.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #1308: April 05, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »
I surely hope the Ian Desmond boobirds can swallow their pride and agree Desmond looked sharp today

One game down, One-Hundred-Sixty-One to go. I hope he can stay sharp through a season because that is what matters.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1309: April 05, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »
I don't care if he has a hundred games like today, the team would still win more if he bats second or sixth and a prototypical leadoff hitter bats first.

Well, there is just one little problem with that, isn't there.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1310: April 05, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »
i guess we're not friends anymore huh spidey :(

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1311: April 05, 2012, 06:30:46 PM »
This is now the 2nd largest game thread of all time.  McLaren's first post-Riggleman game against the ChiSox is safe at #1 with 2,180 posts :shock:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #1312: April 05, 2012, 06:31:02 PM »
Jesus H Christ Pissburg doesn't even try to hide anymore

Offline Coladar

« Reply #1313: April 05, 2012, 06:32:46 PM »
Well, there is just one little problem with that, isn't there.

? That we don't have one? I still say Espi is a better bet batting leadoff, and or Lombardozi to replace one of our godawful OFers. Bottom line, Ian Desmond has a tendency to always swing at the first pitch, and draws very few walks/has an OBP barely above his BA. It's hard to imagine, save a hr power hitter, a worse option batting leadoff. But he definitely, and I don't want to minimize this, showed why he deserves a roster spot today.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #1314: April 05, 2012, 06:33:17 PM »
:crackup:

Apologies to Fan, who based on usernames alone was my first guess at the new pissburg incarnation. That remote story is hilarious!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #1315: April 05, 2012, 06:34:45 PM »
I still lol that you call him pissburg

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #1316: April 05, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »
only caught bits of the game at work, but it looks like strasburg pitched well.

offense looking anemic as always. i hope to god they get the bats going sooner than last year, but watching laroche does not make me optimistic at this point.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1317: April 05, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
i guess we're not friends anymore huh spidey :(

:icon_question:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1318: April 05, 2012, 07:06:14 PM »
Jesus H Christ Pissburg doesn't even try to hide anymore

Are you guys serious?  :shock:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1320: April 05, 2012, 07:11:33 PM »
Somehow I missed a lot. That says v4 is now gone. I didn't even know there was a v2. 

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #1321: April 05, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
Totally Chief. She went to the "how does it feel..." line that Taylor ran into the ground.

hammonds is probably still jerking off to Desmond's picture right now.

She can get away with it. Debs just didn't have the goods to pull it off.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #1322: April 05, 2012, 07:30:27 PM »
Great game, great win.

My impressions:

LaRoche is useless. Terrible game, though he did have a nice play on D when he saved the Desmond throw. All the same, 3 Ks is inexcusable.

Zimmerman was the best player on either team today. Not only did he have some excellent defensive plays, starting with picking Ramos' throw and turning it into a run-saving out, as well as throwing out the potential tying run at home (for those keeping score, that's two runs saved on defense in one game), but his hitting was excellent. Any other day or any other park, he has a .5000 OPS- 2 HRs and 2 BBs.

Desmond's defense is not better by leaps and bounds (though the season is early, maybe the defense will come when the routine is down). However, he had quite a good day offensively.

The bottom third of the lineup was a complete black hole today.

Strasburg pitched well toward the end, but he should be on the hook for three runs (the Soriano shot was majestic). He settled down nicely though.

Good to start the season 1-0. 161 more!

LaRoche should be given alittle credit for the walk leading to Werth's bases drunk one.  His other ABs.....ugh

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #1323: April 05, 2012, 07:33:01 PM »
LaRoche should be given alittle credit for the walk leading to Werth's bases drunk one.  His other ABs.....ugh

Eh Kerry Wood was totally wild, wasn't he? I give neither of those bums anything.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #1324: April 05, 2012, 07:35:25 PM »
Eh Kerry Wood was totally wild, wasn't he? I give neither of those bums anything.

LaRoche fought off a bunch of pitches. Werth went 0-2 and battled back for the BB.