Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Stephen Lombardozzi Jr, 2B  (Read 22413 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Lombardozzi 3/4 yesterday and 2/5 the day before that. Hitting .438...

haha he's played in like 4 games there.  still nice to see.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Wasn't Espinosa on a similar schedule in the minors?  Lots of time in the lower minors, then kind of breezed through AAA on his way to the ML club.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Espinosa was a college boy drafted in 2008, who went to short season after the draft, a year in high A in 2009, then 3 levels in 2010 (AA, AAA, and MLB).  Lombardozzi is a bit slower, but he was juco kid who played in rookie league and the Sally in 08-09.  Age-wise, he's about a year and a half younger than Espinosa so he is ahead of him.  By seasons in the organization, he's about a year slower in his progress.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I see Lombo as a super utility guy. We could slide him to 2B as a starter probably, but I'd rather have Danny Espinosa as a gold glove 2B. For some reason I just don't see him playing this good of defense at SS(mindfact).

Maybe Ian Desmond will someday give us a passable bat consistently at SS.   :|

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.

HAHA just give up on that. He has horrible plate discipline. Bad plate discipline + lack of power= horrible hitter.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
this guy is on freaking fire: 3-5, 2B, R tonight, batting .431 at Syracuse.

He needs to replace Desmond.

Offline imref

I see Lombo as a super utility guy. We could slide him to 2B as a starter probably, but I'd rather have Danny Espinosa as a gold glove 2B. For some reason I just don't see him playing this good of defense at SS(mindfact).

Move Desmond to the bench, Espinosa to SS, and Lombardozzi to 2B.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Move Desmond to the bench, Espinosa to SS, and Lombardozzi to 2B.
It looks like Davey doesn't have much faith in Desmond at the plate. Hopefully we have Lombo up soon.

Offline hammondsnats

i think he could come up and provide a spark like the pirates have with pressley. 

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
i think he could come up and provide a spark like the pirates have with pressley. 
I hope we can see him soon. I'm gonna be on vaca for like a month starting friday so no more nats. Pressley has been absolutely amazing for the bucos

Offline imref

3-6 tonight with 2 doubles, now batting .403 at Syracuse.

Offline blue911

3-6 tonight with 2 doubles, now batting .403 at Syracuse.

Has he drawn a walk yet?

Offline imref

Has he drawn a walk yet?

18 at Harrisburg, none at Syracuse so far.

Offline blue911

18 at Harrisburg, none at Syracuse so far.

Ugh. He isn't ready.

Offline UMDNats

Ugh. He isn't ready.

He only has seven strikeouts in 62 at-bats in AAA, so it's not like he's swinging at everything.

Offline HalfSmokes

Ugh. He isn't ready.

His OBP is absurdly high, should he stop swinging at balls he can hit to prove he can walk?

Offline blue911

His OBP is absurdly high, should he stop swinging at balls he can hit to prove he can walk?

Where did I say that? Not having any walks in 70PA's is a sign of a guy swinging too early in the count. MLB pitchers will tear him up. i.e. Ian Desmond.

Offline UMDNats

Where did I say that? Not having any walks in 70PA's is a sign of a guy swinging too early in the count. MLB pitchers will tear him up. i.e. Ian Desmond.

But his entire minor league career, he's been a good discipline guy. Desmond never really was. I'm sure it's just a small sample size (adrenaline from the promotion?) and not an indicator that he's all of the sudden forgotten how to take pitches. Like I said, just 7 Ks in 62 ABs. He's probably being more aggressive than usual right now and he's just making good contact.

Offline HalfSmokes

He's shown the ability to walk, right now, he's seeing balls he can hit. He's second on the chiefs in OBP so it's not like he can't get on base

Offline blue911

But his entire minor league career, he's been a good discipline guy. Desmond never really was. I'm sure it's just a small sample size (adrenaline from the promotion?) and not an indicator that he's all of the sudden forgotten how to take pitches. Like I said, just 7 Ks in 62 ABs. He's probably being more aggressive than usual right now and he's just making good contact.

He hasn't shown the same discipline this season at Harrisburg either. I'm not bashing the guy, but he isn't ready to play at a MLB level. The worst thing they could do is promote a guy who isn't ready when they have a better fit (Antonelli).

Offline UMDNats

He hasn't shown the same discipline this season at Harrisburg either. I'm not bashing the guy, but he isn't ready to play at a MLB level. The worst thing they could do is promote a guy who isn't ready when they have a better fit (Antonelli).

I'd absolutely agree that Antonelli should get the call before Lombardozzi and than Lombo needs more time.

Offline hammondsnats

i still think kobernus could be the 2B and Espinosa the SS with Desmond/Lombardozzi being the utility guys :shrug:

Offline sportsfan882

Kobernus lol.  Other than the SBs and BA he's been disappointing

Offline HalfSmokes

He's also basically the same age as Lombardozzi and putting up worse numbers in a lower league

Offline hammondsnats

wow you knucklebrains, so you're ready to call him a bust already?  good thing you guys are running the organization :lmao:

kobernus has also missed a lot of time in his career so far.