Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 88182 times)

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
Ryan Dempster would look nice in our rotation.

Stras/Gio/Dempster/ZimW2N/E-Jax

Offline HTT

Why would the Astros trade Altuve?  He should be cost controlled for a few more years.  Not like they have another great 2nd baseman in the minors. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Rizzo likes the team he's got. Even I like the team we have, with Storen and Werth returning, and maybe Chad Tracy...yes, they will probably stop Strassburg in September, but that means the NL East Champion Nats will have to get through the playoffs with Gio, Jordan Zimmermann, Edwin Jackson, and Detwiler. The first three are as good as any teams first three, and Detwiler is no slouch.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
I don't know if there is a thread for this but whatever.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/nl-east-notes-greinke-mets-rodriguez.html

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/olneys-latest-nl-trade-market-darvish.html

The bolded makes sense but I hate his wording of it still sucks. "...to win now"
Don't focus on the "win now" part of the quote - be happy about the "knee jerk reaction" part of the quote. Rizzo didn't say he won't make a move, he just won't overreact and do something dumb. I hope.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
If we were to trade for a player I would prefer it to be a good SP or a great CF. I don't see any teams with the CF that we need (lead off and plays CF) so a SP it is!

Offline madj55

I definitely wanna trade for a starter, I don't want Lannan coming back up here to pitch in meaningful games.

Offline terpfan417

I don't really see a huge need for bullpen help. We could definitely use a starter assuming Strasburg gets sent down. If a CF falls into our laps great, but I'd just as soon get that in the offseason when we have more options. Other than that I dont really think we need any more bats either once Tracy and Werth come back.

Offline PatsNats28

Even trading for a starter would be kinda weird because you'd have to do something with the starter until September... we're probably better off using Lannan or CMW for that spot.

Offline terpfan417

Even trading for a starter would be kinda weird because you'd have to do something with the starter until September... we're probably better off using Lannan or CMW for that spot.
Dump Wang. Move Detwiler to the bullpen.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Supposidly some guy in a bar told him we are scouting him and there were discussions. Personally I don't think it passes the sanity test so I am assuming he got trolled by InsaneBoost.

I'm going up to Maine next week, will see if I can verify any rumors.

Offline PatsNats28

Dump Wang. Move Detwiler to the bullpen.

Just so we can give up more prospects for another SP that we'll have for another two months that, best-case scenario, posts an ERA 0.5 points better than Detwiler?

Offline ronnynat

If we were to trade for a player I would prefer it to be a good SP or a great CF. I don't see any teams with the CF that we need (lead off and plays CF) so a SP it is!

Span and Bourn are two I'd go after, but I think we should just wait until the offseason to get Bourn.

I would trade for a good catcher right now. I'd take Carlos Ruiz for Lombardozzi and an average prospect, but I don't think the Phillies would trade him to us.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I still want Chris Denorfia from the Padres as a backup OF'er/platoon player/pinch runner/defensive replacement.

2012 stats (203 PA) - .304/.363/.440/.803
Career vs. LHP (450 PA) - .304/.377/.422/.799

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/denorch01.shtml

Offline DPMOmaha

Span and Bourn are two I'd go after, but I think we should just wait until the offseason to get Bourn.

I would trade for a good catcher right now. I'd take Carlos Ruiz for Lombardozzi and an average prospect, but I don't think the Phillies would trade him to us.

I doubt it, plus I think it'd take more than that for Chooch.  Experienced pen depth, starting pitching depth and a lefty OF power bat would be nice, too. 

Offline Slats

Anyone else think we could use a leadoff man?  Lombo will be a sub .250 hitter here soon and although Espi can steal bases, his OBP is lacking.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Anyone else think we could use a leadoff man?  Lombo will be a sub .250 hitter here soon and although Espi can steal bases, his OBP is lacking.

wat

Offline DPMOmaha

Where would he play?  Desi's entrenched at SS.  I don't see Davey moving Espi off 2B any time soon.  Harper will be in CF once Werth comes back unless they move Morse in which case, I think Moore would/should get the LF job.

Offline terpfan417

Just so we can give up more prospects for another SP that we'll have for another two months that, best-case scenario, posts an ERA 0.5 points better than Detwiler?

Not necessarily going to be just a rental. And Detwiler would be back in the rotation when Strasburg gets shutdown.

Offline terpfan417

Where would he play?  Desi's entrenched at SS.  I don't see Davey moving Espi off 2B any time soon.  Harper will be in CF once Werth comes back unless they move Morse in which case, I think Moore would/should get the LF job.

Am I the only one that thinks the Lombo/Espi platoon is working quite well? Their LH/RH splits are good... both are over .340 OBP against the pitchers they start against.

Offline Slats

An outfielder would work, possibly Juan Pierre if the Phillies become sellers?  Hes having a great year -- .320 avg with 20 steals -- and only has a 1 year contract.  Downside is hes getting pretty old now.

Offline HalfSmokes

An outfielder would work, possibly Juan Pierre if the Phillies become sellers?  Hes having a great year -- .320 avg with 20 steals -- and only has a 1 year contract.  Downside is hes getting pretty old now.

Werth Harper Morse- not seeing where they're playing either

Offline DPMOmaha

That's nice and all, but I don't really see him adding that much to this team.  Does he walk much?  I don't really see him as an upgrade from what we already have in Desmond, much less power and defense.  But he is fast, so there is that...

Offline terpfan417

Yeah unless you want to take one or even two of Morse, Laroche or Moore out of the equation it's gonna be tough to add an outfielder to this team. Maybe we dont have a "true" leadoff guy but I'm plenty satisfied with Espinosa/Lombo or maybe Werth (an idea I was behind before the season...) for this year. Sign Bourn in the offseason.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
If they want to bring in a leadoff type outfielder (Dexter Fowler?), LaRoche or Morse could be traded for prospects.  I'd prefer to keep LaRoche because he's a lefty and he'd probably bring back some kind of draft pick compensation next year.  But Morse is so much fun to have on the team - I don't know if I'd want Beast Mode traded.  :shrug:

So maybe they don't trade either one.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Why would you trade Morse or LaRoche?

Filling a hole by creating another makes no sense to me.