Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 89547 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

This team is built for the now and the future.  Live with it.

Having arguably the worst offensive starting catcher in all of baseball coupled with shutting Strasburg down and not bringing in a reinforcement brings your thesis into question.

Offline ronnynat

meh.  I don't think there was much out there that really could have made that much of a difference and not hurt us in the next few years down the road.

This team is built for the now and the future.  Live with it.

Agreed. The only player I was kind of hoping we'd get somehow was Gregerson.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Having arguably the worst offensive starting catcher in all of baseball coupled with shutting Strasburg down and not bringing in a reinforcement brings your thesis into question.
Having the best record in the major leagues 100 games into the season is a solid confirmation.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
The only thing this team is ever built for is the future. But at least this years team proves that right 3 years ago.

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
Having the best record in the major leagues 100 games into the season is a solid confirmation.

Sounds pretty good to me, lol.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

I like you... I do... but the kumbaya act, it's driving me up a wall.

Offline BigMeech

Just realized that people were saying "don't trade the future" yet Desmond, Espinosa, Zimmerman, Zimmermann, Strasburg, GIO, Harper, Ramos, Lombardozzi, Storen, Clippard, and Moore are all under 30.

Not sure where the un-tradable "future" fits in when the future is already on the field for the foreseeable future.  It's not like we're the Yankees, Red Sox, or Phillies here in terms of age.

Again, what was the harm in trading the "future" (in terms of prospects) when they won't even see the field for any significant period of time?  Surely we could have traded some of the mid-level prospects for an upgrade at catcher. 

Offline Knight

If you have to remake your team with 2-4 players before the trade deadline are you really a contender?   I say not.   Chemistry has something to be said for too.  The Nats have been extremely resilient through a large amount of injuries to key players.  I for one wasn't really feeling the need to do too much at the deadline.  When the playoffs hit, you usually only use three starting pitchers anyway.  We'll be fine.  Lannan can get in three to four starts in the last part of Sept to get us through.  Then he goes relief anyway.

I am basically pleased with the production from all the back up cathers.  Middle infield is my biggest concern.  But who is to say we can't fill that hole on the Aug waiver wire?

I like the team they way they are.  THey were built for 2013 and 2014.  And thanks to a patient GM today, they still are built for 2013 and 2014.  This year is a bonus.  There is no reason they can't win the division they way they are, even without Strasburg.    Once in the playoffs, all bets are off.  Go Nats!

Offline PC

FIRE RIZZO!!!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
We can do better than LaRoche? The guy who leads ALL NL 1B in homeruns? Really? And OF? Yeah Werth will be better. He was on pace, like someone else had said, to have an Adam Dunn type comeback season. Yes I think Werth is better than Shane Victorino who sucks this year. And Hunter Pence would never get traded from Philly to here.

And as for Stras, it's going to be Lannan, most likely. He did fine when he was up here against the Braves, and owns the Braves throughout his career (who as you point out are our biggest competition).

And great those teams HAD to get better (to hang with us). Like Davey said you don't want to sacrifice the farm for 1 month of a SP. That's like 4 or 5 starts at most.

Also those teams that you mentioned are all pretty streaky. Especially the Reds. It's taken them a 10 game winning streak to match us. The Nats have been consistent ALL YEAR long. We haven't gone on a ridiculous winning streak, and we haven't went on any crazy losing streak (like ATL has and LAD). We're the best team in the National League, and if you fail to see that then I'm sorry. But then again you guys complaining about the deadline are also the ones in the GDT who say the season is over or that we have no shot at a WS after every loss.

So . . .  Homeruns are the sole metric for measuring firstbasemen?  Does the .265 average do it for you as well?  .840 OPS?  97 strikeouts?  His numbers are remarkably average right now and in many respects he's having one of his best years.  Do we count on that to continue?  Werth = Adam Dunn style resurgence?  :lmao:  Stras -> Lannan?  :hang:

We're in a virtual tie with the Reds, the Dodgers slumped when Kemp went out but he's back and they've added players and THEY SWEPT US earlier this year without these added parts.  The Giants only needed some offense, they got it, the Pirates who have been the model of inefficiency for 15 years even went out and improved when the recognized that they had a chance to contend.

You can call anyone you want "streaky" but the Reds have caught us and the Pirates and Braves aren't that far behind. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I like you... I do... but the kumbaya act, it's driving me up a wall.
I can't turn the forum over to the Sportsfan's and BigMeech's of the world.

8)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I can't turn the world over to the Sportsfan's and BigMeech's of the world.

8)

Well, I guess reality will set in for you when Strasburg is sitting on the bench looking at the field longingly during the playoffs.

Offline hammondsnats

hammonds doesn't use caps.

this team isn't worth the effort.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Just ask the 2001 Mariners and the 2007 Mets.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Desmond is my new favorite player ever.

@AdamKilgoreWP

Mark Lerner walked through the clubhouse on crutches after foot surgery. Desmond quipped, "We need to trade for a new owner." (Lerner's OK.)

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!

Every year quality teams win the WS with holes in  their team and daily lineup.  It happens.  Its baseball.  What matters is how the team performs as a whole and right now I say they are doing a super duper job at it.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future

Offline BigMeech

Desmond is my new favorite player ever.

Two mid-level prospects at best.  Maybe throw in some cash.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Well, I guess reality will set it when Strasburg is sitting on the bench looking at the field longingly during the playoffs.
Yup, is what it is. I still trust Gio, ZNN, and EJax to hold it together and we can do worse than Detwiler or Lannan as a 4th starter.

Biggest thing we need to do is to continue winning games so we can get the #1 seed. Missing another team's ace to start a series is absolutely huge.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
So . . .  Homeruns are the sole metric for measuring firstbasemen?  Does the .265 average do it for you as well?  .840 OPS?  97 strikeouts?  His numbers are remarkably average right now and in many respects he's having one of his best years.  Do we count on that to continue?  Werth = Adam Dunn style resurgence?  :lmao:  Stras -> Lannan?  :hang:

We're in a virtual tie with the Reds, the Dodgers slumped when Kemp went out but he's back and they've added players and THEY SWEPT US earlier this year without these added parts.  The Giants only needed some offense, they got it, the Pirates who have been the model of inefficiency for 15 years even went out and improved when the recognized that they had a chance to contend.

You can call anyone you want "streaky" but the Reds have caught us and the Pirates and Braves aren't that far behind. 

The .265 average isn't horrendous for LaRoche. Look at the Dodgers first baseman FFS. James freaking Loney who is horrible. My point is you look for run production out of your 1B, and I'm pretty damn sure LaRoche has produced more than just about any other 1B in the National league.

Losing Strasburg and inserting Lannan, obviously is a downgrade. But let's be honest...Strasburg to anyone is a downgrade. And I'm not sure why you're laughing at the thought that Jayson Werth was on track to have a big comeback year. I guess you missed the first month or so, where he was looking like his 2010 self. It's not a ludicrous thought.

You can laugh all you want, but I'll continue to laugh at you for freaking out, while I enjoy watching the 2012 Washington Nationals win the National League East.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Yup, is what it is. I still trust Gio, ZNN, and EJax to hold it together and we can do worse than Detwiler or Lannan as a 4th starter.

Likely will be the worst #4 starter of any playoff team.

Offline BigMeech

Biggest thing we need to do is to continue winning games so we can get the #1 seed. Missing another team's ace to start a series is absolutely huge.

I agree, we can do worse than Detwiler and Lannan.  We could do worse than Flores as well.  Doesn't mean we should be complacent and not look to improve.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Quote from: Adam Kilgore‏ @AdamKilgoreWP
Mark Lerner walked through the clubhouse on crutches after foot surgery. Desmond quipped, "We need to trade for a new owner." (Lerner's OK.)

Lerners on the block. ;)

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
Just ask the 2001 Mariners and the 2007 Mets.

You're just further proving our point. The point is the playoffs are truly a crap-shoot. It's all about who gets hot at the right time. The 2010 Giants won it without any semblance of offense.

Seriously with the team we have, we have a shot. It's all about to meshing, and playing great baseball at the right time. Ask the 2005 83 win St. Louis Cardinals. It's baseball it's a funny game, and anyone can beat anyone.