Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread (2009-2011)  (Read 69402 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #25: November 10, 2009, 02:43:55 PM »
Yeah. Hart made Hebner swear before the match that he wouldn't screw him. Obviously it didn't work out that way.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #26: November 10, 2009, 02:50:57 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayfabe#Montreal_Screwjob

Ok so according to Wikipedia it's in dispute.

I don't exactly follow closely, but honestly, would you be surprised?

I would be surprised, actually.

It's 100% real. I don't care what they say now. Watch 'Wrestling with Shadows'. Does Hart look like a guy that was in on the screwjob?

Not a chance in hell.

Pretty much this.  It's fine that some people doubt, and that's to be expected, but I don't believe it.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #27: November 10, 2009, 02:51:34 PM »
back to the original discussion, ignore what Minty says, or anyone. They don't have to like your show and they can crap on it, doesnt mean its fact, maybe in their mind though.

I like some music that people who supposedly have 'great music taste' crap on my music, doesn't mean I'm going to stop listening I could give a freak what they think.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #28: November 10, 2009, 02:53:59 PM »
Pretty much this.  It's fine that some people doubt, and that's to be expected, but I don't believe it.

It's a doubt backed up by an interview with Kevin Nash, but all these guys have axes to grind. Who knows, and it doesn't really matter.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #29: November 10, 2009, 02:54:14 PM »
back to the original discussion, ignore what Minty says, or anyone. They don't have to like your show and they can crap on it, doesnt mean its fact, maybe in their mind though.

I like some music that people who supposedly have 'great music taste' crap on my music, doesn't mean I'm going to stop listening I could give a freak what they think.

Agreed.  You should never let anyone decide what you should and should not watch or listen to.  You don't have to take my word for it.  I'm a self-proclaimed snob when it comes to all forms of entertainment.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #30: November 10, 2009, 02:54:44 PM »
:rofl: man I didn't know you guys watched wrestling too back in the day. like i was telling linty, wrestling in the 90s > all.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #31: November 10, 2009, 03:04:54 PM »

Please don't let SF's strawmen brainwash you.  Nobody was attempting to dictate taste in television to anyone, and nobody was bashing anybody else.  Different opinions on particular shows were offered.  Nothing more, nothing less.

It's a doubt backed up by an interview with Kevin Nash, but all these guys have axes to grind. Who knows, and it doesn't really matter.

An interview in which he voiced nothing more than a personal suspicion.  Did you even read the link you posted?

:rofl: man I didn't know you guys watched wrestling too back in the day. like i was telling linty, wrestling in the 90s > all.

I watche as a kid in the Hogan/Andre/Slaughter era, then took a long vacation, then got back into it in the Rock/Austin/Mankind era.  Once Rock and Mankind started to fade out, I pretty much stopped watching again.  They were what made WWF worth watching again.  Austin was okay, but terribly one-dimensional and not particularly creative at trash-talking.  He did make a great opposite for the better guys though, so I give him credit where it's due.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #32: November 10, 2009, 03:24:21 PM »
They admitted it was fake years later.

prove it.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #33: November 10, 2009, 03:25:48 PM »
prove it.

We already covered it, all he's got is a link to Kevin Nash's personal suspicions.  No proof, or even accusations, really.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #34: November 10, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »
The Kliq would never lie. D'Oh.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #35: November 10, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »
We already covered it, all he's got is a link to Kevin Nash's personal suspicions.  No proof, or even accusations, really.

My brother is a freaking encyclopedia on this stuff, and he told me. He hasn't been wrong before, and there might be a source, but I'm actually trying to get work done today. :lmao:

It's a fact in my mind.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #36: November 10, 2009, 03:28:16 PM »
My brother is a freaking encyclopedia on this stuff, and he told me. He hasn't been wrong before, and there might be a source, but I'm actually trying to get work done today. :lmao:

It's a fact in my mind.

Well then get your brother on here, otherwise YOU LIEEEEEEE!!!!111oneoneonetwo

;)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #37: November 10, 2009, 03:29:55 PM »

It's a fact in my mind.

I don't doubt your brother... but I'm such a wrestling geek that I've actually turned in academic papers on pro wrestling.

So, I say with 97.8% certainty that while Michaels, McMahon, HHH and Hebner were all in on the screw job. Hart was not.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #38: November 10, 2009, 03:30:42 PM »
You have to say "it's believed Hart was not" otherwise no one will believe you or they'll clamor for sources :stir:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #39: November 10, 2009, 03:31:53 PM »
I'm such a wrestling geek that I've actually turned in academic papers on pro wrestling.

I did as well.  What did you write about?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #40: November 10, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »
As for wrestling, I think the best time I started watching was definitely the attitude era. The whole Corporation vs DX and The Rock vs Stone Cold matches... awww crap those were freaking great. Wrestling now is still pretty good, I tune in every now and then. I'm glad Jeff Hardy got a push a couple years ago as he was my favorite wrestler like 10 years ago haha.

p.s. Chief, if your not feeling lazy, I say create a new thread, Wrestling Thread and just merge all of it into their. That would be a good topic.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #41: November 10, 2009, 03:35:35 PM »
I wrote two papers.

The first one I focused on the strong following of the 'smark' communities that inhabit the net.

The second was an in depth look into why wrestling needed a union to protect the independent contractors from the likes of the evil McMahon.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #42: November 10, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »
p.s. Chief, if your not feeling lazy, I say create a new thread, Wrestling Thread and just merge all of it into their. That would be a good topic.

NO!

I take pride in derailing this thread for nearly two full pages!

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #43: November 10, 2009, 03:37:15 PM »
Yeah Nathan and I conquered the music thread (could be split off to a metal thread, I suppose).

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #44: November 10, 2009, 03:39:37 PM »
I wrote two papers.

The first one I focused on the strong following of the 'smark' communities that inhabit the net.

The second was an in depth look into why wrestling needed a union to protect the independent contractors from the likes of the evil McMahon.

Since I studied the history of performance, I linked the "modern era" of professional wresting (post 1970's) with Victorian era British Melodrama.  The professor was miffed I would even stake such a claim but still graded me fairly. 

I had a lot of fun doing the research for that and because my brother wrestles in a small indie league and wrestles against some of the guys from the WWF days of yore I was able to get a lot of direct sources through interviews. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #45: November 10, 2009, 03:40:59 PM »
DAMMIT CHIEF!

You're gonna have to move my last post in the TV thread since I posted it after the split.

YOU SUCK!   ;)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #46: November 10, 2009, 03:43:06 PM »
DAMMIT CHIEF!

You're gonna have to move my last post in the TV thread since I posted it after the split.

YOU SUCK!   ;)

SAY WHAT???

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #47: November 10, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »
I just sold all my original Xbox games to a friend for 15 bucks, and I no longer own "Legends of Wrestling" :(

Offline The Chief

« Reply #48: November 10, 2009, 03:45:20 PM »
The first Wrestlemania game made for the N64 by THQ was great.  Provided endless hours of entertainment for my entire hall.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #49: November 10, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »
The first Wrestlemania game made for the N64 by THQ was great.  Provided endless hours of entertainment for my entire hall.

Ahh, Wrestlemania 2000? That game was preceeded by wcw vs nwo... by thq. That game was the crap but Wrestlemania came up and was 10x better.

I want to get that new Raw vs Smackdown game.